Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > March Musings

March Musings

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
3/30/11 at
7:16:51 PM

Views: 6890

It's funny how one of the more common coaster types becomes exciting when it's on your doorstep, isn't it? Eg. the Z40 at Clacton.

Loops really are a bit gimmicky, aren't they? They never did beat that classic combination of drops and turns. But, apart from junior coasters, why are there so many coasters with loops, and so few without?

Finally, OK, we get it: UK parks don't like wood. But why don't manufacturers offer steel coasters that take the place of woodies? OK, you've got the Mega Lites, but they are a bit on the large side, ie. still very clearly mini hyper coasters. Then you've got the superb Gerstlauer Bobsleds, but I am doubtful you could just scale them up, as I assume they'd need bigger wheels and bearings etc. So why isn't there a type of non-looping coaster that is steel and can go to about 100ft and 50mph? Imagine how exciting it'd be to go to your local seaside and see a modern, steel interpretation of the Coney Island Cyclone.

End of March Musings.

Re: March Musings by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/1/11 6:16:31 PM

I think a Mini Hyper would be fantastic at an UK park. Far as I know they don't take up alot of room, and if a park that is sparse on room want one bad enough, they'll make it fit. So is the new coaster @ Clacton a Z40?

Raptor POV

Re: March Musings by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/1/11 6:34:38 PM

> I think a Mini Hyper would be fantastic at an UK park. Far
> as I know they don't take up alot of room, and if a park
> that is sparse on room want one bad enough, they'll make it
> fit. So is the new coaster @ Clacton a Z40?

Yep.

I remember when I first rode one, at Scarborough, it was. I thought to myself "This is an essential ride! Every amusement park should have one!" (See, I was naive.)

That same week I went to Flamingo Land and rode their dark coaster, I think it was called "Thunder Mountain" or something. It was the only dark coaster that didn't scare me! I noticed that it had the same layout.

I've probably ridden a few more, but I can't remember. Oh, I rode the one at Southport too.

Re: March Musings by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 4/12/11 3:35:26 PM

Where's this Zyklon coming from?

Re: March Musings by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/12/11 7:17:25 PM

> Where's this Zyklon coming from?

It was suggested on the ECC List that it might be from Knowsley Safari Park, but I can't confirm that.