Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Thorpe Park Submits Plan for 2012 B&M!

Thorpe Park Submits Plan for 2012 B&M!

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
2/11/11 at
10:54:29 AM

Views: 4423

In the most exciting UK news since Nemesis Inferno in 2003, Thorpe Park looks set to build another B&M!

Approx 40m high, it has a curved drop, giant corkscrew, inclined loop/inclined helix and a smaller corkscrew. The plane theme and the absence of a vertical loop suggest it'll be a Wing Walker!

Let's hope it gets planning permission!

TPR

Re: Thorpe Park Submits Plan for 2012 B&M! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/11/11 1:22:03 PM

Actually, according to what I have read on TPR, that first drop is supposed to be an inversion...I have to say, I can't believe I'm this excited over a Beemer...

Re: Thorpe Park Submits Plan for 2012 B&M! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/11/11 3:07:46 PM

Yep, I get it now. It must be an inline twist into a sort of dive loop. I wondered why there was a straight bit after the lift hill.

Re: Thorpe Park Submits Plan for 2012 B&M! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/11/11 3:59:54 PM

I've been analysing it more via the link, and I think the elements are these:

Station
Lift hill
Inline twist/dive loop
Zero G roll
Inclined helix

Low right-turn
Corkscrew
Left-turn
Inline twist
Left-turn
Brake run

Thorpe Park Mania

Re: Thorpe Park Submits Plan for 2012 B&M! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/12/11 11:51:31 AM

My ONLY complaint here is how short it looks...And I thought that inclined helix (or it could be an inclined loop, but B&M seem to do that for their stand-ups), was a Norweigan Loop.

Re: Thorpe Park Submits Plan for 2012 B&M! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/12/11 5:54:37 PM

> My ONLY complaint here is how short it looks...And I
> thought that inclined helix (or it could be an inclined
> loop, but B&M seem to do that for their stand-ups), was a
> Norweigan Loop.

My only complaint is that I would prefer a traditional first drop instead of an inline twist + half loop. It reminds me of something out of RollerCoaster Tycoon. :)

My other only complaint is that I prefer rides that tunnel through the ground. But hey, this is Thorpe. 20ft deep max, "soupy ground" Thorpe.

By "Norwegian Loop", do you mean like the one on Speedcoaster at Tusenfryd?

I haven't got a problem with the length, because I suspect, like Dive Machines, these coasters lose a lot of energy. Looking at the plans...

High point: 38.6m
Zero G roll: 30.6m
Inclined helix: 23.0m

...it loses a lot of height quite quickly. Assuming it's as well-designed as other B&Ms, by the time it gets to the corkscrew, it won't have enough speed left to do much else.

But wow, a 100ft Zero G Roll!! :O

Re: Thorpe Park Submits Plan for 2012 B&M! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 3/18/11 12:28:00 AM

I thought it was a Norweigan Loop at first, but looking at it, I can see that it's not. I love too how everyone comments that the drop is like something directly out of RCT. You can't argue with that. :)