Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Walibi World is losing a coaster

Walibi World is losing a coaster

Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile

Posted:
11/24/10 at
3:26:37 PM

Views: 2210

Seems like the ride exodus from Walibi World is continuing! Compagnie des Alpes, owners of the park, decided to move the wild mouse (Flying Dutchman Gold Mine I believe) to a small french park they own. That small park is like 20 minutes away from Parc Asterix and is called Mer de Sable.

The new name at Mer de Sable will be "La Mine Bleue" (The Blue Mine) and its going to fit in nicely. Last year, the park just closed their one coaster and the park was struggling with only a handful of flat rides and two excellent water rides.

Re: Walibi World is losing a coaster by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 12/4/10 2:39:05 AM

I find it very sad and strange that Walibi World is not getting on its feet. It is (or was) a beautiful park with good rides.
Taking out the Wild Mouse and having a closed Boomerang directly adhacent to the entrance is certainly not helping.

Although I understand that the western town (where the Mouse was located) suffered from lacluster theming, a seldom working Frisbee-knock-off and it was located off the beaten path. Years ago the way to this area led through a wood which was full of flatrides. I can only guess that this part of the park is now totally unattractive and deserted.

It would be nice if they would work out a new concept for this whole area.

Re: Soquet / Walibi World is losing a coaster by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 12/9/10 8:20:13 AM

> The new name at Mer de Sable will be "La Mine
> Bleue" (The Blue Mine) and its going to fit in nicely.
> Last year, the park just closed their one coaster and the
> park was struggling with only a handful of flat rides and
> two excellent water rides.

It's a shame they've closed the Train du Colorado mine train coaster at Mer de Sable it looks an interesting ride, especially the way its been set into the landscape

Soquet make some interesting coasters i genuinely want to try the bonkers first drop on 1066 at Festyland, the bizarre themed Azteka at Le Pal and the huge Lost City of Gold at Sunway Lagoon

> I find it very sad and strange that Walibi World is not getting
> on its feet. It is (or was) a beautiful park with good rides.

The park is fantastic some great gardens and some awesome coasters, especially Xpress and Goliath two of the best coasters in Europe

On my visit to Walibi you could tell that there were a few gaps where there was obviously attractions that were now missing, especially as Trick Track pointed out in the western area.

I really liked the mouse, the trims weren't too harsh it was a lot of fun

I am shocked by the low visitors numbers to Walibi World, is it an issue with the marketing? location? pricing? or what the attraction offers not been attractive/of interest to potential customers?

Re: Walibi World is losing a coaster by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 12/10/10 2:11:38 AM

Le Train du Colorado was a disaster of a ride sadly. Ride consisted of a tunnel to the mostly covered lift. The ride did one drop, an helix... and then drop into the brakes. That's it. I through the same as you until I rode it in 2008 and I was like WTH was this? Mine Bleue will be a massive improvement over it.

For Walibi World, the park had a great first year after Six Flags dumped all those rides on it (2000), but never could gain that attendance back. I guess Efteling and all the local competition was too much.