Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > "New" coaster for Lightwater Valley?

"New" coaster for Lightwater Valley?

hatt

Posted:
8/17/10 at
8:38:08 AM

Views: 2757

What happened to the Ultimate rumors?

Vekoma Whirlwind

Re: "New" coaster for Lightwater Valley? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 8/17/10 9:02:50 AM

> What happened to the Ultimate rumors?

I forgot about those. Perhaps they're saving up their money for that?

At first I was a bit confused by this story, because not only are Lightwater Valley (apparently) buying a Vekoma Whirlwind, they already have a Mondial Top Scan called "Whirlwind"!

I'm a little bit nostalgic about Vekoma Whirlwinds, as they used to have one on Clacton Pier. Let's just hope it's smooth, because I know what old steelies with OTSRs can be like.

Re: "New" coaster for Lightwater Valley? by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 8/18/10 6:30:40 AM

> At first I was a bit confused by this story, because not
> only are Lightwater Valley (apparently) buying a
> Vekoma Whirlwind, they already have a Mondial Top Scan
> called "Whirlwind"!

Whirlwind will leave the park in September, this has been a strange arrangement, the ride was operated by the showman the park were leasing it from

When i visited they were assembling the ride in between cycles, they'd bolt more seats on then send the ride off! i think the showman took it as a chance to refurbish the ride while somebody was paying him to operate it!

> I'm a little bit nostalgic about Vekoma Whirlwinds, as they
> used to have one on Clacton Pier. Let's just hope it's
> smooth, because I know what old steelies with OTSRs can be
> like.

This will be the Whirlwind Coaster that once operated at Clacton Pier, that has been running in Finland. The park management are going to Fort Fun (Germany) to see an example of a working model.

It is said to purchase, relocate and assemble the ride will cost £900k

Can't help that the money could be better spent on something else, the park are obviously committed to investing they spent £400k to purchase the travelling rapids slide they were previously leasing

After Raptor Attack which is genuinely very good, it is a shame that the park aren't pursuing a direction of fully themed immersive rides

HighExtreme

Re: Lightwater Valley New For 2011 Skeleton Cove by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 1/19/11 10:40:38 AM

Turns out the Whirlwind coaster was blown out!

For 2011 Lightwater Valley have bought their own Top Scan, which has been refurbished by Mondial, the new version of Whirlwind will be placed in between Raptor Attack and Ultimate

That's not all they will also add a pirate themed area named Skeleton Cove to replace the Go-Karts. The area will include 5 rides to start with:
Black Pearl (Weber inverting ship)
The Flying Cutlass (Huss Pirate Ship)
Powder Kegs (Huss Breakdance)
Skull Rock (Zamperla Regatta)
Pirate Swings (Mini Chair-o-planes)

All the rides have been relocated from the now defunct Loudoun Castle.

The Park have closed their existing Zamperla (1990) pirate ship "The Wave" it's site will be used for the future holiday village development and it was cheaper for the park to buy the Huss version from Loudoun than relocate The Wave to the new area

Re: Lightwater Valley New For 2011 Skeleton Cove by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/19/11 6:18:04 PM

> That's not all they will also add a pirate themed area
> named Skeleton Cove to replace the Go-Karts. The area will
> include 5 rides to start with:
> Black Pearl (Weber inverting ship)
> The Flying Cutlass (Huss Pirate Ship)
> Powder Kegs (Huss Breakdance)
> Skull Rock (Zamperla Regatta)
> Pirate Swings (Mini Chair-o-planes)

Quite a good selection of rides there. It's always nice to see some of these high-quality Huss rides like the Pirate Ship, which I still think is the best.