Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Can Anyone Remember the Planned Southend Scenic?

Can Anyone Remember the Planned Southend Scenic?

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
7/30/10 at
3:44:38 PM

Views: 2320

Do you remember, about five years ago, Adventure Island planned to build a scenic railway type coaster that went all along the park and over the pier? Can you remember what it was called?

If I recall correctly, they couldn't get planning permission to go over the pier. I just thought it's a great shame it didn't get built, as it probably would have been a fantastic ride. Just think: lots of drops, no loops. I think Southend still needs something like that.

Re: Can Anyone Remember the Planned Southend Scenic? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/31/10 12:00:55 PM

I don't remember hearing about that...That would have been amazing.

Re: Can Anyone Remember the Planned Southend Scenic? by d_n_s_u at 7/31/10 2:48:38 PM

Hi Graeme!

Was it called The Swine???????

Re: Can Anyone Remember the Planned Southend Scenic? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/31/10 6:12:02 PM

Thanks d_n_s_u. Oh, the SWINE... Southend WhIte kNuckle Enterprises. What a coaster. ;)

But no, I've remembered now. It was called... Pier Drop!

Re: Can Anyone Remember the Planned Southend Scenic? by Hurri Hurri Profile at 8/5/10 4:42:20 AM

I don't think Pier Drop was ever planned to be a scenic railway... I'm not completely convinced it was ever actually planned at all! I know Adventure Island looked in to the possibility of going over / under the pier, with different ideas from different manufacturers (even B&M!) but it never reached the next stage.

The Swine would have been built and operated by a company called Epic World Leisure, nothing to do with AI, but Epic didn't have any money the first time round when it was approved and still didn't when they re-applied and got turned down a few years ago - still claiming it would be built by Arrow.

Re: Can Anyone Remember the Planned Southend Scenic? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 8/6/10 12:23:29 AM

Oy! Talk about Pier pressure...;)