Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Right, I'm Not Riding Another Vekoma Boomerang!

Right, I'm Not Riding Another Vekoma Boomerang!

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
7/23/10 at
11:17:37 AM

Views: 2062

There was a terrifying incident at La Ronde when, apparently, the restraint on their Vekoma Boomerang opened!

Coincidentally, when we went to Pleasure Island, Cleethorpes, my sister thought her restraint was unlocked (I've no idea if it was or not), so I held it firm throughout the entire ride.

Although I'm not suggesting Boomerangs are dangerous, hopefully Pleasurewood Hills will use this opportunity to get rid of theirs and replace it with a woodie or a massive Gerstlauer Bobsled!

Montreal Gazette

Re: Right, I'm Not Riding Another Vekoma Boomerang! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/23/10 12:25:38 PM

Why the hell didn't they E-stop it then? Unless I'm reading it wrong, if it came undone before going backwards, it should stopped on the reverse spike.

I know Cedar Point, and I'm assuming their parks have put seatbelts on all their Arrows and Vekomas with OTSRs, similar to what B&M use to lock in their restraint.

This isn't going to stop me from riding Boomerangs, although they make me nauseas, just like the accidents with Intamin aren't going to stop me from hopping back on one.

Re: Right, I'm Not Riding Another Vekoma Boomerang! by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 7/25/10 5:45:01 AM

> seatbelts on all their Arrows and Vekomas with OTSRs, similar to
> what B&M use to lock in their restraint.

The b&m seat belts secure absolutely nothing apart from rider's psychological safety, if the impossible were to happen that seat belt won't hold the restraint and weight of the rider down

what the seat belt can be used for, by some park operators at least, by making the belts a certain length, they'll only reach the buckle if the restraint is closed down at least "three clicks" on the ratchet, so it would have to slide past three ratchets to fully open if the device was to fail, which is very, very, very unlikely

Interestingly Intamin coasters require an electrical charge to open the restraints, so a power pack (truck battery) has to be used if the train is to be evacuated at a point on the track outside the station

HighExtreme

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.