Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR: Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway

TR: Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
7/7/10 at
11:04:22 AM

Views: 2474

Whilst recently in Devon, one thing that caught my eye was the Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway. I thought it looked Scenic Railway-ish, so I decided to pay it a visit.

Parking the car at the beautiful Watersmeet (where two rivers literally meet), I walked a mile or two to Lynmouth, following the rushing river Lyn as I went. When I arrived in Lynmouth (which is the sea-level bit), I followed the cliff round until I found the Cliff Railway. This enormous beast is 500ft tall and takes you up to the town of Lynton.

Photobucket

Just like a Scenic Railway, it has an operator who rides with it. On the way up, I was lucky to get the best position in the car (or rather, outside of it!) Instead of sitting, I stood outside and took photos! What follows is every photo I took, so I hope it gives and impression of how this thing keeps going up...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

...and up...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

...and up...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

...until you're in Lynton!

I do find it quite amusing to think I've been on a ride bigger than Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka!

Re: TR: Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/8/10 10:50:16 AM

Resisting ruge...resisting urge...resisting ruge...gone...Well done on the pics, Graz...I always wanted to ride one of these styled trams or trains.

Re: TR: Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/8/10 10:51:31 AM

So is this a credit, I forgot to ask...;)

Re: TR: Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/8/10 6:07:14 PM

It's not a credit, but I thought it would appeal to people who like roller coasters. I believe they're called "funicular railways".

And as for "resisting the urge", I think this proves once and for all that I am not a wuss! I stood manfully on the deck as it ascended, taking photos as I went!

Re: TR: Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/8/10 11:00:42 PM

That's exactly it! I had a real cheeky comment at the time, but I forget now...They're great pics though, lovely scenary.