Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > thorpe park are taking the p*ss... literally!

thorpe park are taking the p*ss... literally!

twpburton

Posted:
2/24/10 at
1:37:52 PM

Views: 2357

And just when I thought Thorpe Park could sink no lower... they come up with this.

http://news.aol.co.uk/uk-news/theme-park-is-taking-the-pee/article/20100224102810348622093

They are inviting people to donate their urine and the smelliest specimen will win 500 quid! Then they want to use this stench alongside other smells in the new SAW attraction.

I'm actually livid over this. Who on earth would come up with such a suggestion? Perhaps next weekend all you will need is a brown paper bag and a lighter?

If it wasn't approaching the end of feb i'd say this is an april fools joke.

Gross, disgusting, idiotic.

Re: thorpe park are taking the p*ss... literally! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/24/10 5:50:47 PM

If all this is true, they're wrong in the head. I'm deadly serious. This is sick, warped, twisted... whatever you want to call it. In my day, roller coasters were about wholesome thrills like speed, drops and airtime. Nowadays everything has to be depraved.

Now, I'm not stupid, and I know Merlin really like silly stories like the squirrel riding Spinball Whizzer, but the way they've been behaving since they bought Thorpe and Alton is actually immoral.

I was going to make a post entitled "Is Merlin Evil?" It's a strong thing to ask, and it's probably playing into their hands, but look at the evidence:

* Saw: the Ride. A coaster themed around a series of disgusting films, enjoyed by deranged people, gratuitously showing violence for the "enjoyment" of it.
* Hiring students to receive electric shocks for Saw: Alive
* Using urine smells in Saw: Alive

Again, it's hard to know what's just marketing rubbish, but all these things are actually evil. I wouldn't even visit their parks if they built a decent coaster (as if...), because I wouldn't want to give my money to a depraved, disgusting company like them.

Metro

Re: thorpe park are taking the p*ss... literally! by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 2/24/10 10:39:10 PM

Well, it´s really time to bring out the good old conspiracy theories again. As Graeme said, there is something straight out of the "mind control"-handbook behind all this, which is of course a major (sub-conscious) theme these days.

Of course, theme-parks would be pretty theme-less if they would not dig into the superstitious and the occult, but they are clearly upping the ante with marketing the hell out the SAW franchise.

I have to admit that I somehow like the ridiculous Thirteen propaganda, which is just whacky exploitation reminding me of hilarious ad-campaigns from 1960/1970s movies (check William Castle, etc.). With this there is still the possibility that the hype will backlash after people have ridden the ride just once.

With SAW however, there is almost an apparent disgust shown towards the audience. They are giving the people what they want because they have told them that this is what they want: Revel in sh!t and pay for it.

I know this sounds paranoid, but i can´t help and feel that there are much darker forms of entertainment about to be unleashed on us again. Much darker than "It´s a small world"...if this is even possible ;)

Re: thorpe park are taking the p*ss... literally! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/24/10 11:02:41 PM

This is going way too far...I just hope this is all for sh!ts and gigs, although I'm not laughing. If this is going to be the theme along with the ride, I'm not going to applaud it...and I'm a sick bugger to begin with, as Graeme can attest to.

Thirt13n Testing

Re: thorpe park are taking the p*ss... literally! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/25/10 9:17:52 AM

> Of course, theme-parks would be pretty theme-less if they
> would not dig into the superstitious and the occult, but
> they are clearly upping the ante with marketing the hell
> out the SAW franchise.

I agree. I've been on a few ghost trains and they're not my thing, because I'm of a nervous disposition. However, the problem with Thorpe Park using Saw is that they're encouraging sadism, glorifying torture and even fetishising bodily fluids.

> I have to admit that I somehow like the ridiculous Thirteen
> propaganda, which is just whacky exploitation reminding me
> of hilarious ad-campaigns from 1960/1970s movies (check
> William Castle, etc.). With this there is still the
> possibility that the hype will backlash after people have
> ridden the ride just once.

What bothers me about Thirteen is that the way Merlin are acting lately, it might actually be as disturbing as they say. If not, then it'll just be an OK coaster, but I am concerned about it.

> With SAW however, there is almost an apparent disgust shown
> towards the audience. They are giving the people what they
> want because they have told them that this is what they
> want: Revel in sh!t and pay for it.

That's exactly the problem. I always knew Thorpe Park were aiming at chavs, but now they're firmly aiming at scum. There's a big difference!

I really feel that the powers-that-be are allowing the population to become more depraved. Just because the masses accept something doesn't mean governments shouldn't sometimes say "This is not healthy". Politicians are meant to act in the public interest, not in the interests of the public.

Re: thorpe park are taking the p*ss... literally! by twpburton at 2/25/10 1:41:58 PM

i'm just completely lost for words to be honest. I hope you guys are right and it is all just a bit of a mind trick. But having had it announced on an AOL news page, it seems this could be for real... I mean why would AOL carry it if it was just a rumour?

I know this isn't comparable but its the same sort of thing... I used to be a massive football fan, but nowadays I hardly give 2 hoots... have I grown out of it? No. There is just too much politics in the sport I used to love. Same goes for theme parks, I used to visit upwards of 12-15 times a year with an annual pass every year. Would I lose much sleep if I didn't go this year? I doubt it! I just don't have as big a draw to return quite so much. The rides are the same and to be honest I only really go back to see my friends who still work there. I would definitely go back should they build a massive brand spanking new B&M... but i'm pretty sure thats not going to happen anytime soon. When are the theme parks going to listen to the people that count? When I attended a pre season briefing in 2006, they said they were going to invest in a B&M flyer, and instead they got SAW. A ride based on a (lets be honest) crap series of grusome films. The first one was superb, the 2nd watchable and the rest suitable for carboot sales.

I don't have a problem with theming and don't get me wrong, SAW is amazing for theming but surely they should just end it there. They don't have a clue. I'm going to write to thorpe park and complain about that "rumour" and send a link to this page. So if you want to have a say, get your thoughts in quick.

I saw those pics on the facebook page graeme posted of Nemesis being built. I would love go back to those days, the mystery, the excitement. Maybe I should get a new hobby :/

Re: thorpe park are taking the p*ss... literally! by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 2/25/10 2:35:42 PM

^contacting them and giving them links to concerned comments is just furthering their publicity agenda. The only thing that they "feel" is when attendance should start to drop.

This is really a generational thing. Just compare 60s/70s horror with the slashers of the eighties. In the nineties it was all about "meta" which led us to the torture-flicks of the 00s.

I am pretty sure that back in ´94 some older people didn´t think it was funny that Nemesis had bloody waterfalls. (in fact in America they had to get rid of similar themeing a decade earlier on the DEMON).

I think that this is really a win-win situation for the institution behind the park (cheap publicity, lowering the lowest denominator, keeping people distracted). Meanwhile in Orlando, my one time favourite park is turned into a brainwashing centre for superstition and witchcraft, which might have an even greater negative impact on society.

Re: thorpe park are taking the p*ss... literally! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/25/10 5:39:05 PM

> I am pretty sure that back in ´94 some older people
> didn´t think it was funny that Nemesis had bloody
> waterfalls. (in fact in America they had to get rid of
> similar themeing a decade earlier on the DEMON).

To be honest, I always thought that was slightly sinister, but I wasn't appalled.

> Meanwhile
> in Orlando, my one time favourite park is turned into a
> brainwashing centre for superstition and witchcraft, which
> might have an even greater negative impact on society.

Do you really think Harry Potter is harmful? Don't get me wrong, I'm all ears, but I enjoyed the books and my only problem with the films is that they are aimed at kids, but are too scary for them (in my opinion).