Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Thirteen Testing

Thirteen Testing

Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile

Posted:
2/18/10 at
9:48:13 PM

Views: 2615

Found this over on Theme Park Review, and thought I would post it here...looks like it's flying over those hills...

Tim.

Thirt13n Testing

Re: Thirteen Testing by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/17/10 11:37:51 AM

Here's an on-ride video from GMTV:

I must say, it looks a lot more pleasant than I expected (I thought it'd be themed). I'd like to ride it! Silly me for believing the hype!

Re: Thirteen Testing by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 3/17/10 12:16:12 PM

Wow, what a fun looking coaster! And I hate to gloat, but I thought it was going to look like fun from the start. lol

Pretty much though what I was expecting from it too. :)

Parc Asterix Rumour

Re: Thirteen Testing by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/17/10 6:51:39 PM

> Wow, what a fun looking coaster! And I hate to gloat, but I
> thought it was going to look like fun from the start. lol

That's because you're wise and I'm wussy. Wise & Wussy! ;)

Here's another video, shows the freefall really well (it's well-lit).

ITV Central - Thirteen video

Re: Thirteen Testing by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 3/17/10 7:28:16 PM

Damn, that link doesn´t play outside of the UK. (National censure is one of my biggest pet peeves on the internet).

I have to say that I was pretty underwhelmed by the whole thing.
Although I give them props for building someting that is better than the ride that was there before, although it is (again) a very short ride.
I understand that they have height, noise and environmental restrictions and it is a wonder that they could build anything at all...but a glorified junebug-coaster?!?

From the video I saw I was really disappointed by the ride-ending. The train crawls out of the tunnel only to be reversed out in the open in front of the station?! What an anti-climax.

It´s still interesting to see if their "William Castle"-campaign will be a success or if it will come back and bite them where it´s very dark.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Thirteen Testing by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/18/10 1:11:50 PM

> Damn, that link doesn´t play outside of the UK. (National
> censure is one of my biggest pet peeves on the internet).

Ugh, mine too. It just seems so unnecessary.

Personally, I don't feel any disappointment when I see these rides up and running. I feel the disappointment when they first submit the planning applications, because you can pretty much tell exactly what the ride will be like from them.

On the other hand, I can't see how this can in any way deserve the SW6 codename. Even if all the G-forces are exactly right, it would still be lacking something to be called an SW, in my opinion.

Re: Thirteen Testing by geordieboy at 3/18/10 2:07:58 PM

Thirteen does look a good coaster.

But definately is not what was promised with all the hype.
Watching the video there has too be something they havent shown inside the tunnel or they have missed a big opotunity.
If it is a coaster based around a story like their HEX ride then the story cant just end with starting the coaster.

Please someone put me out of my misery and tell me that they did have all effects turned off during shooting of that video..

ahh well guess i will find out Monday.

Re: Thirteen Testing by twpburton at 3/18/10 4:15:57 PM

Well i'm certainly out of my misery! As much as I love anticipation and secrecy, this ride was more of a "how exciting or thrilling is it going to be" as opposed to what the hell is it.

It looks quite good! I can certainly imagine it being a fantastic ride toward the end of season (can you imagine riding that at haloween!)

It still lacks the intensity that this country has failed to see for many years, although I can see the emphasis was creating a more "family" kind of coaster.

Alton will certainly get my preference this year over thorpe. Still waiting for a bigger thrill though :/

Re: Thirteen Testing by geordieboy at 3/18/10 4:31:33 PM

Totaly agree......

England really really needs a world beating coaster.

how about the next "GRIFFIN" as forgive me if i am wrong but "Oblivion" looks extremely simillar but with 90% of the track missing.

England needs a mega coaster.......

Re: Thirteen Testing by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 3/19/10 11:57:53 AM

You know, I know it's a family coaster, but I really like what I am seeing. Yes I know it's not forceful, ahtough I have heard the air on it is excellent, but it looks fun. Yeah, I consider myself an enthusiast, but I ride for the one purpose (other than stacking my cred count on kiddie coasters), I ride because it's fun, I know it sounds hokey and hackneyed.

Still, could you see this at thorpe...downtime like a mother...well, you get the joke. lol

And yes, Graeme, you are a wussy...that's your gimmick. LOL

Re: Thirteen Testing by geordieboy at 3/19/10 3:00:11 PM

Well it was staff day today on thirteen....

And all effects where turned on staff report the ride to be awesome.......but who knows they may have been told to say that!

Any have fun all you lucky people who are there for opening tomorrow me i will just have to wait till monday,hoping the que wont be so bad then....

Re: Thirteen Testing by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/19/10 6:20:27 PM

Here you go, TrickTrack. Our German friends won't miss out on my watch! (I nicked it from Tim!)

Re: Thirteen Testing by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 3/22/10 4:09:14 PM

Wow, Betty is hot ! But yes, Grazza did nick it from me, as I nicked his first to post it on Facebook.

Tim.

Re: Thirteen Testing by geordieboy at 3/22/10 6:49:40 PM

OMG!

What was that.
They cant honestly tell me they payed £15m for that!!!

The coaster is tame and by tame i mean easier than the runaway mine train and short from the top of the lift to getting into the crypt was less than 30 seconds.

Then we have the crypt...............
Ok it gets dark there is some quite fancy decorations on the wall,but no effects,no flashing lights just a drop that you know is coming and lasts maybe .5 of a second then a very tame backward stroll through the tunnel.

I was thinking phycoaster but would love to know the phsy bit i must have missed it and even did the ride twice just in case i did.......still kind of missed it.

Then we come to the story of the crypt and dark forrest...........

from entering the building in the que (which was only about 10 minutes) the story seem to consist of some girl whispering a countdown to 13 then a noise and then it repeats itself.......

Thirteen:-
= The tamest ride in the park
= The non existant "phsy"
= The shortest ride in the park
= Someone rubbing their hands together with £15m in the bank
= The most disapointing bit of hype since "transformers 2"

One bit of advice though if you are gonna waste 30 seconds of your life on it get the back seats there at least you do get a feeling of a little bit of air on the very first hill until the brakes kicks in half way down.......

:(

Re: Thirteen Testing by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 3/22/10 8:08:51 PM

It's nice to see criticism on both sides of the fence. I have reviews over on TPR, and they have said good things about the coaster. Mind you, this is just a protoype, another park without the limitations might do more...although Alton have done a fabulous job with their limitations.

Re: Thirteen Testing by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/23/10 10:58:36 AM

Thanks very much for the review, geordieboy. It's brilliant to hear from someone who's ridden it.

I think Alton have possibly made a few mistakes here:

1) Lying. We all like a bit of exaggeration, but Alton told barefaced lies about this ride, such as saying there would be age limits, psychological testing, limited rides per day etc. I think that crossed the line.

2) Calling this SW6. In the past, an "SW" meant you could go and ride the latest, beefy ride technology. It didn't have to be scary, but it had to have a certain vibe to it. I remember when I rode Air, I thought I'd be back in 2006 and 2010 to ride more B&Ms, but that didn't happen.

Thirteen is a genuine world's first, but the track and trains are technically family coaster, which I think makes a certain difference.

Also, in the past, a ride retained its "SW" number even if it wasn't built. To my mind, SW6 will always be that fabulous-looking Valley Woodie.

3) Enclosing the freefall. I don't feel passionate about this one, but by not having the freefall out in the open, it may be hard to convey the selling point of this ride.

However, I'm not against Thirteen, it looks good fun. I just never thought "SW6" would be like this.

Tim:
> It's nice to see criticism on both sides of the fence. I
> have reviews over on TPR, and they have said good things
> about the coaster. Mind you, this is just a protoype,
> another park without the limitations might do
> more...although Alton have done a fabulous job with their
> limitations.

I shudder to think what the American ones will be like, I really do.

By the way, do we actually know how it works yet? As it's a freefall, I assumed it was stopped by electro-magnetic brakes. However, from the videos I've seen, Thirteen doesn't seem to have the bit where it's pulled through the magnets into position at the bottom of the drop (unless it's done seamlessly).

Re: Thirteen Testing by geordieboy at 3/24/10 6:22:08 AM

Yeah its hyrolics that move the track.

Which is why a massive opotunity was missed inside the crypt,if the ride used horizontal and vertical movement and some kind of Hex effect inside the crypt this ride could have been so much more.
But saying that i supose if they wanted to go with something like that in future i am sure it wouldnt be too hard to do,as all the building bricks are there to do it.

Re: Thirteen Testing by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 3/24/10 1:14:32 PM

> Tim:
> It's nice to see criticism on both sides of the fence. I
> have reviews over on TPR, and they have said good things
> about the coaster. Mind you, this is just a protoype,
> another park without the limitations might do
> more...although Alton have done a fabulous job with their
> limitations.

> I shudder to think what the American ones will be like, I
> really do.

I salivate at what they could do...maybe even a bit more freefall, or even launching ala Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studio in Orlando (did I ever tell you this will prbably be my favourite drop ride evah?)

> By the way, do we actually know how it works yet? As it's a
> freefall, I assumed it was stopped by electro-magnetic
> brakes. However, from the videos I've seen, Thirteen
> doesn't seem to have the bit where it's pulled through the
> magnets into position at the bottom of the drop (unless
> it's done seamlessly).

I do agree that Alton did go a bit over board on the hype, but I mean, c'mon, we all knew what was coming...well, minus the drop sequence.

Graeme, we really had to do something about your 'lack of love of coasters in the dark' :P

Tim.

Re: Thirteen Testing by SFGAman SFGAman Profile at 6/29/10 12:31:34 PM

Themeparkreview.com said this.

"Th13teen is basic ly a roller skater through the woods with a small tower of terror like drop at the end. The ride is really tame and unless you've never been on tower of terror isn't terribly exciting. Would have been better marketed as a runaway mine train for families, not the most psyhcologicly challenging ride in the world. The only pshycological challenge you may have is "how long did i que for that?"

This is my FAVORITE part of the review!

"It's not a bad ride, but it fails at either being a great family ride or a great thrill ride. What a disappointment."

I kind of agree with what he said. I was expecting MORE from this ride. Yeah its the first drop coaster but it only drops like 20 ft. The ride also dosen't go very high, about 60 ft. I'm not saying the park is bad or anything its just that Th13teen isn't all great besides the drop. I hope there will be more taller, faster, and cooler drop coasters than Th13teen. Th13teen is a first, but i doubt it will be best for a while.

Re: Thirteen Testing by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/3/10 11:38:04 AM

Great America boy, you're all over the place dude...Look, for all it's worth with Thirteen, I didn't get caught up in the hype, not saying other did on here either, I just didn't have alot of expectations, and when you do that, you find out you can enjoy it...like Will Ferrell films.

There's more to coasters, my young friend, than just record breakers...

Re: Thirteen Testing by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/19/10 1:08:54 PM

You know what, good for Theme Park Review.

Yeah, I'm sure Thirteen is good fun, but so is Cobra at Paultons. The best theme park rides, especially at Merlin/Tussauds parks can and should be more than that. It doesn't have to be scary, but you should feel you're in the presence of something exciting.

Sorry, but Merlin have had the wrong approach with Saw and Thirteen, and they need to be told by the people who spend the money to go and ride them. That approach is: underwhelming ride hardware + a fortune spent on theming. They need to forget about this "Thrill Laboratory", "psychological" approach, because that's not what a good coaster is about. I think those guys should stick to horror films, if that's what they like.

Thankfully, it seems Merlin have learnt the error of their ways, and the future (for Thorpe at least) looks very rosy.

Re: Thirteen Testing by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/22/10 12:31:09 PM

Once again, no love for TPR...lol

Again, I think alot of people got caught up in the hype, and they're pishing on Thirteen because they feel like they were a bit insulted...this isn't directed at everyone, mind you.

Still, as I have said before, it looks like fun...:)

Re: Thirteen Testing by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/22/10 6:25:42 PM

Sorry Tim, I was feeling a bit rant-y! (Wasn't ranting at you, obviously.)

Re: Thirteen Testing by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/23/10 1:24:20 AM

> Sorry Tim, I was feeling a bit rant-y! (Wasn't ranting at
> you, obviously.)

Oh I know. It's all good. :)