Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Mini Mega Getting Higher (Technically)

Mini Mega Getting Higher (Technically)

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
2/7/10 at
9:56:39 AM

Views: 2430

Here's a curious story. Adventure Island at Southend has dismantled the Pinfari Mini Mega and is building a new arcade, which the Mini Mega will be rebuilt on top of.

For some reason, this really excites me! For one thing, it's not a bad coaster (the only Pinfari I'd ride, that's for sure). Secondly, I've always thought the West side of the park needed more structure. And thirdly, perhaps they are clearing space? Maybe a coaster will be built on an existing arcade site? They're bound to want another coaster sooner or later, and it seems to me they're making preparations.

Oops, here's the link: http://z6.invisionfree.com/advislguide/index.php?showtopic=727&st=45

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Mini Mega Getting Higher (Technically) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/7/10 12:38:35 PM

I'm relieved they're keeping Mini Mega. I remember hearing a rumour about a launched Gerstlauer coming to AI. Just a rumour.

Re: Mini Mega Getting Higher (Technically) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/7/10 5:51:48 PM

> I'm relieved they're keeping Mini Mega. I remember hearing
> a rumour about a launched Gerstlauer coming to AI. Just a
> rumour.

I never believed those rumours, I always thought they were just wishful thinking. Admittedly, it's an appealing type of coaster and it's logical to think Adventure Island would buy from Gerstlauer again. However, I've always had it drilled into me that the UK will never have a LIM or LSM (or anything electro-magnetic) launched coaster because of the running costs.

Maybe I'm just living in the past and don't know the reality of technology today?

Re: Mini Mega Getting Higher (Technically) by Hurri Hurri Profile at 2/8/10 5:03:27 AM

The launch coaster isn't that unrealistic. Something like that could happen in the next 2-3 years.

Mini Mega is apparently due to go back up this week but this morning the arcade didn't look anywhere near ready so I guess we'll have to wait and see, I'll keep updating the thread over on AIG anyway.

The current arcade site between Mini Mega and Gold Mine... Something will be going there, at the moment it looks like it'll be a temporary juvenile attraction for this summer then a thrill ride is likely to fill the gap for next year. Don't know what yet, the park have been looking at a few different options.

Re: Mini Mega Getting Higher (Technically) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/10/10 10:43:20 AM

Personally, I think of Adventure Island like this:

Rage - great thrill coaster
Barnstormer - great junior coaster
Green Scream - size of a family coaster, thrills of a junior coaster
Mini Mega - size of a junior coaster, thrills of a family coaster

Putting Mini Mega on top of an arcade might make it more intimidating, but obviously it'll be the same intensity.

How I'd love a giant Gerstlauer Bobsled at Southend. Cobra at Paultons is thrilling, fun and intense, I can only imagine how cool a bigger version would be. It'll also be good for building up the adrenaline to ride Rage.

Re: Adventure Island by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 2/10/10 5:59:12 PM

> Personally, I think of Adventure Island like this:
> Rage - great thrill coaster
> Barnstormer - great junior coaster
> Green Scream - size of a family coaster, thrills of
> a junior coaster
> Mini Mega - size of a junior coaster, thrills of a
> family coaster

Definitely agree with that, obviously with any seaside park space is a premium so its a good move to put mini mega on a roof deck

For me personally as a coaster geek (thou i'm sure the park's guests love it) Green Scream takes up too much space for what it does, especially as Mini Mega and Barnstormer cater for the same kind of audiences very well, so i'd remove Scream to free up space for the next coaster

After all Tivoli Gardens replaced their oversized zierer family coaster with Daemonen so there's some inspiration! At the time exclusively on this forum ;) Andreas said that the park had been looking a Euro Fighter, but the B&M didn't cost that much more and we all know Adventure Island aren't afaird to look at a B&M nor spend money Over The Hill must have cost a fortune, its truly epic!

Rage has obviously done very well for Adventure Island but they sacrificed the Log Flume to put it in, us Brits love a good water ride so I bet its missed, I'd put safe money on them looking to add some kind of water ride for their next major ride

HighExtreme

Re: Adventure Island by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/10/10 6:22:00 PM

> For me personally as a coaster geek (thou i'm sure the
> park's guests love it) Green Scream takes up too much space
> for what it does, especially as Mini Mega and Barnstormer
> cater for the same kind of audiences very well, so i'd
> remove Scream to free up space for the next coaster

I totally agree, but the spanner in the works is that it's more popular than Mini Mega (I'd say).

> Rage has obviously done very well for Adventure Island but
> they sacrificed the Log Flume to put it in, us Brits love a
> good water ride so I bet its missed, I'd put safe money on
> them looking to add some kind of water ride for their next
> major ride

Good point, I hadn't even thought of that. How about one of those rapids slides like at Prater Park. Do ABC still make the best ones?

I have to say though, putting in Rage was a genius move, even at the expense of the log flume, as the park's popularity has gone through the roof in the past couple of years. Just goes to show what a good, visible coaster can do.

Joyland Books (Southend attendance the 24 October story)

Re: Mini Mega Getting Higher (Technically) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/11/10 2:59:39 PM

I think an ABC rapids would be a nice addition to Adventure Island.
As for Green Scream, obviously I haven't been to AI (or anywhere else), but I have seen Hurri's POV of it, and it does take a lot of room. I, myself, have always liked the Zeier family coasters, but to see it replaced with a Gerstlauer would be fine with me (or an ABC rapids).