Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Olympic Coasters?

Olympic Coasters?

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
2/7/10 at
8:58:49 AM

Views: 2588

With the Olympics coming to Britain in 2012, and what sounds like the best UK coaster for ten years rumoured for the same year, could we be seeing a coaster revival?

The rumoured Thorpe Park coaster has me geninely excited, and I bet Chessington gets its best ride for years in 2012 too, possibly also Legoland.

Now, the question is, will the more regional parks follow suit? C'mon Pleasurewood, it's time to build that GCI! Adventure Island, you're near London - can we have a Gerstlauer non-looper please? :)

Re: Olympic Coasters? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/7/10 12:40:57 PM

I say bring the Olympic Looper to the UK for the Olympics. Yee-e-ah!

So is this a rumour Grazza, the launched B&M fllorless, erm...wing walker?

Myself, I see a coaster revival coming in the UK. Things have got so bad there that they can only get better now...I always keep my eyes crossed (easier than fingers) for you guys.

Re: Olympic Coasters? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/7/10 5:54:29 PM

> So is this a rumour Grazza, the launched B&M fllorless,
> erm...wing walker?

Yes, it's the only coaster rumour for the UK I know of at the moment. It doesn't come from Thorpe Park sites either, so I suspect it's true.

Re: Olympic Coasters? by Hurri Hurri Profile at 2/8/10 5:06:24 AM

If we were to get something at Adventure Island to replace Green Scream, I think 2012 would be the year to do it.

Don't rule out a B&M at Chessington...

Re: Olympic Coasters? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/8/10 10:22:40 AM

> If we were to get something at Adventure Island to replace
> Green Scream, I think 2012 would be the year to do it.

Yeah, I suppose so. As well as the Olympics, the timeline just seems to fit anyway.

> Don't rule out a B&M at Chessington...

I don't think you're joking, are you? :O

Of course, "Nemesis II" was planned to be built at Chessington. Unfortunately, I've never seen the plans and I don't know whereabouts it was meant to be built.

Re: Olympic Coasters? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/10/10 12:58:35 AM

Wouldn't it now be Nemesis III? ;)

Re: Olympic Coasters? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/10/10 10:47:46 AM

> Wouldn't it now be Nemesis III? ;)

I do actually think of Nemesis Inferno as Nemesis III. It has a lot in common with the 3rd film or computer game in a series - ie. perhaps a bit diluted and not really the same vibe as the 1st and 3rd, but still fun. Nemesis II was meant to be huge mega intense - "the biggest pit ever dug for a coaster".

By the way, I thought Hurri might not be joking about a B&M at Chessington, because I'm so out-of-the-loop with Merlin, but I looked it up, and yeah, I should have known better! :P

Re: Olympic Coasters? by Hurri Hurri Profile at 2/11/10 9:54:21 AM

Just cos there's nothing in the public domain doesn't necessarily mean it's a joke!

Merlin have a 3 coaster deal with B&M, we're told. So everyone's saying one for Heide, one for Gardaland, one for Thorpe. I'm not so sure. I'm just saying, Chessington has new management and a new direction, don't rule it out!

Re: Olympic Coasters? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/11/10 10:47:37 AM

> Just cos there's nothing in the public domain doesn't
> necessarily mean it's a joke!

> Merlin have a 3 coaster deal with B&M, we're told. So
> everyone's saying one for Heide, one for Gardaland, one for
> Thorpe. I'm not so sure. I'm just saying, Chessington has
> new management and a new direction, don't rule it out!

Sorry Hurri, didn't mean to offend. I just didn't know whether to take it as a joke, insider info or public rumour.

Re: Olympic Coasters? by Hurri Hurri Profile at 2/11/10 1:31:19 PM

No offence taken at all :)

I'm just throwing the option out there. Not 'insider info' as such...

Re: Olympic Coasters? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/11/10 2:55:53 PM

If AI were to get a launched Gerstlauer, I would hope it's not with a top hat, mainly due to one person, and I won't point fingers or name calling, because Grazza knows who I'm targetting...;)

I'd love to see Chessie get a Nemesis-esque coaster.Oh hell, even if it were a clone, that would be exciting...

Re: Olympic Coasters? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/11/10 5:50:50 PM

> If AI were to get a launched Gerstlauer, I would hope it's
> not with a top hat, mainly due to one person, and I won't
> point fingers or name calling, because Grazza knows who I'm
> targetting...;)

You couldn't resist, could you? I've put you in full wind-up mode today since our Facebook banter!

If they got a launched coaster, it would be good if it launched into an immelman. Then maybe a vertical loop and a few rolls.

> I'd love to see Chessie get a Nemesis-esque coaster.Oh
> hell, even if it were a clone, that would be exciting...

Yeah, I'd love them to actually build Nemesis II wherever they were planning on doing so. As far as I'm aware, they main reason they didn't was because they then bought Thorpe Park. It would also have been expensive to dig the hole, and there's no guarantee they'd have got planning permission (although I'm sure they were working within the guidelines).

The funny thing about Nemesis is it's significantly bigger than Nemesis Inferno - 120ft from top to bottom (perhaps winged beast will back me up?) compared to Inferno's 92ft off the ground, making Nemesis Inferno 75% the size.

I'm pretty sure Chessington can only build up about 50ft, so if they got a B&M these days I think it would likely be a launched coaster. Being B&M, the track could be made quiet, solving thgat problem. I'd prefer them to did a hole though and put an inverted/floorless in it.

(Sings to that Beyonce song) "If you're gonna dig a pit, put a floorless in it"!

Re: Olympic Coasters? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/12/10 11:13:11 AM

> If AI were to get a launched Gerstlauer, I would hope it's
> not with a top hat, mainly due to one person, and I won't
> point fingers or name calling, because Grazza knows who I'm
> targetting...;)

> You couldn't resist, could you? I've put you in full
> wind-up mode today since our Facebook banter!

Actually, I posted this to the wrong thread... But yeah, you put me in full wind up mode, so now you have to pay the piper...:P

> If they got a launched coaster, it would be good if it
> launched into an immelman. Then maybe a vertical loop and a
> few rolls.

This could be a good idea, or even like Anubus after the top hat where you got into an Immehlmann and then the dive loop (you know what I mean).

> I'd love to see Chessie get a Nemesis-esque coaster.Oh
> hell, even if it were a clone, that would be exciting...

> Yeah, I'd love them to actually build Nemesis II wherever
> they were planning on doing so. As far as I'm aware, they
> main reason they didn't was because they then bought Thorpe
> Park. It would also have been expensive to dig the hole,
> and there's no guarantee they'd have got planning
> permission (although I'm sure they were working within the
> guidelines).

> The funny thing about Nemesis is it's significantly bigger
> than Nemesis Inferno - 120ft from top to bottom (perhaps
> winged beast will back me up?) compared to Inferno's 92ft
> off the ground, making Nemesis Inferno 75% the size.

So is Inferno 25 % less intense than Nenny as well? ;)

> I'm pretty sure Chessington can only build up about 50ft,
> so if they got a B&M these days I think it would likely be
> a launched coaster. Being B&M, the track could be made
> quiet, solving thgat problem. I'd prefer them to did a hole
> though and put an inverted/floorless in it.

Well how low could Chessy dig? I know it wouldn't be as deep as Nemmy.

> (Sings to that Beyonce song) "If you're gonna dig a
> pit, put a floorless in it"!

Amen!

Re: Olympic Coasters? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/12/10 3:25:37 PM

> Well how low could Chessy dig? I know it wouldn't be as
> deep as Nemmy.

Oh, I think it'd be deeper. Chessington has good digging ground and Nemesis II was, to paraphrase John Wardley, going to go into "the biggest pit ever dug for a coaster".

Now Thorpe on the other hand has "soupy" ground and it's only practical for them to dig down about 20ft (so they said).