Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011"

Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011"

TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile

Posted:
2/5/10 at
5:11:32 PM

Views: 2934

The literal translation for this would be "Monstrosity 2011". They are currently in the process of moving lots of things around (which is actually not the most logical thing in a park if this huge size and unused plots of land) in order to create more themed areas.
The Ungetüm has been mentioned here and there and according to coasters and more Merlin has been on a shopping spree chez Bolly&Mabs where they purchased three new coasters. One is apparently going to Thorpe, one to Gardaland and the third is rumoured to go to Heide.

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/6/10 9:10:15 AM

Ah, well, that's pretty good news! Sounds like it's also one of these B&M "Wing Walkers".

Now, the question is: Why have Merlin got so excited about this type of coaster. Are they really that good? Hmm...

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 2/6/10 12:45:59 PM

> The literal translation for this would be "Monstrosity
> 2011". They are currently in the process of moving
> lots of things around (which is actually not the most
> logical thing in a park if this huge size and unused plots
> of land) in order to create more themed areas.
> The Ungetüm has been mentioned here and there and
> according to coasters and more Merlin has been on a
> shopping spree chez Bolly&Mabs where they purchased three
> new coasters. One is apparently going to Thorpe, one to
> Gardaland and the third is rumoured to go to Heide.

Can't say too much ;) but it does seem Merlin like to re-theme existing areas of parks to make new attractions rather than expansion, in some cases this is working well

There is a trend that the money in the actual new rides is been spent on themeing and marketing rather than the hardware itself

It is also a shame Heide Park seems to have lost a lot of its rides, although a B&M would be fantastic as apart from Colossos the coasters seem all a bit bland and uniform

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/7/10 8:54:04 AM

This is a strange feeling... I'm actually getting excited!

My predictions for these coasters:

* B&M
* Launched
* Non-looping
* Like Furious Baco, but with the seats at exactly the same height as the track
* Floorless seating

Hopefully, they'll be more like launched hypercoasters rather than "figure-eights" like Rita. Remember, Heide Park already has a ride based on Rita. Also, they never built that giga, so the chances are it will be hypercoaster-like.

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/7/10 12:42:55 PM

A Beemer?? Ohhhh craaaaaap...

Does anyone have an images of the Wing Walker (B&M). To me, it sounds like a second gen floorless (wich if it is, I can see Grazza foaming).

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/7/10 5:56:22 PM

> Does anyone have an images of the Wing Walker (B&M).

No Tim, this is top secret stuff at the moment! (Oh, excuse me, I've got drool down my t-shirt...)

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/8/10 5:44:46 PM

I've been reading up as much as I can on this, and apparently the seating is inverted.

Now personally I find that a bit strange, as wouldn't it just seem like a wide inverted coaster? I'm hoping that information is incorrect and it's more like a sitdown/floorless.

Still excited though. Can't wait to see what this is!

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 2/8/10 8:09:34 PM

I think "inverted" in this case means everything that has riders sitting in an open, feet dangling position. Imagine the seats situated on both sides next of the track, attached to the wheels by a rod behind the riders backs. So basically it would indeed be very much like the seating on Furios Baco.
It wouldn´t be the first time that B&M took an idea of somebody else do it better.

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/9/10 9:25:12 AM

> I think "inverted" in this case means everything
> that has riders sitting in an open, feet dangling position.
> Imagine the seats situated on both sides next of the track,
> attached to the wheels by a rod behind the riders backs.

"A rod behind the riders backs" - I like the way you put it. You've managed to describe what I was thinking better than me. That sounds good, whereas with "inverted", I think of aeroplane wings above all the seating.

Anybody have any ideas about whether these would be launched, and if so, would B&M be likely to use hydraulics, pneumatics or electro-magnetics? I'm guessing on hydraulics, perhaps a new, improved version.

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/10/10 12:43:53 AM

If they go with a launched coaster, I wouldn't be surprised if they contract that part out. I know that's what they did with Hulk's lift/launch at IoA.

I too, like Graeme, like the concept. I always enjoyed the floorless concept, and think it would be a nice addition.

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/10/10 10:30:00 AM

> If they go with a launched coaster, I wouldn't be surprised
> if they contract that part out. I know that's what they did
> with Hulk's lift/launch at IoA.

Hmm, I can't see Thorpe or Heide wanting a launched coaster enough that they devise one themselves. After all, they both have Intamin rocket coasters.

The reasons I'm assuming they're launched is because Furius Baco is and B&M have long been rumoured to be working on a launch (or mores specifically, people have noticed they don't have one). However, perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree and these are not launched coasters, but 4D coasters with lift hills?

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by hatt at 2/10/10 3:45:06 PM

> If they go with a launched coaster, I wouldn't be surprised
> if they contract that part out. I know that's what they did
> with Hulk's lift/launch at IoA.

Well, I rather doubt a launched coaster as Heide Park already have one and Germany is not really the US, where you can have several launched coasters in one park...

* This Post Has Been Modified * User Submitted Picture

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/11/10 3:01:06 PM

Exactly, Hatt. :)

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/11/10 6:08:30 PM

> Exactly, Hatt. :)

Cheeky bugger...!

Well, good, I'd prefer a lift-hill anyway! Might be more like an actual Floorless or a Hypercoaster.

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/12/10 11:07:23 AM

I wasn't being cheeky, not intentionally anyway. I like the Wing Walker concept, but I do hope B&M can fix the problems that Baco have, and to some degree X with the seats being on the sides of the track.

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by DIGA at 2/13/10 4:10:38 AM

> Well, I rather doubt a launched coaster as Heide Park
> already have one and Germany is not really the US, where
> you can have several launched coasters in one park...
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

After Desert Race Heide Park checked the possibility to install a second launch coaster.
B&M (together with a third party contractor) has developed a LSM launch system (magnetic) and are looking for several years now to place such a launch coaster. The first LSM is now being contracted and the rumours saying somewhere in Europe...

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/13/10 10:59:05 AM

> After Desert Race Heide Park checked the possibility to
> install a second launch coaster.
> B&M (together with a third party contractor) has developed
> a LSM launch system (magnetic) and are looking for several
> years now to place such a launch coaster. The first LSM is
> now being contracted and the rumours saying somewhere in
> Europe...

LSM? Thanks for that, it's very interesting.

I've got to say, LSM coasters appeal to me a lot more than hydraulic. With LSM you can build up the speed anywhere on the track, whereas with hydraulic you have to have one big push at the beginning, which may be too intense.

I love B&M. It's like they truly understand all the important aspects of a coaster.

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 2/13/10 5:04:09 PM

But LSM is very expensive, especially in countries with high energy costs (aka Germany).
The good thing about the hydraulic launch is the "low" energy cost. Apparently the costs to get a car up to speed are the same as pulling it up a lifthill of equivalent size.

You do have a good point with the multiple possibilities of placing the LSM, though.

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/13/10 5:40:46 PM

> But LSM is very expensive, especially in countries with
> high energy costs (aka Germany).
> The good thing about the hydraulic launch is the
> "low" energy cost. Apparently the costs to get a
> car up to speed are the same as pulling it up a lifthill of
> equivalent size.

Oh, I agree. I've always said the UK will never get an LSM coaster.

> You do have a good point with the multiple possibilities of
> placing the LSM, though.

I think what appeals to me more is that the designer can control the initial rate of acceleration. Let's say the desired speed is 80mph, that may be too fast to attain in one go (in terms of comfort, not engineering). With LSM, they can gradually build up the speed.

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by hatt at 2/16/10 8:36:52 AM

The rumor is in my opinion rather weak. If you check the feedback page at coastersandmore, you will see their explication:

John Wardley announced that he works on projects for Alton, Thorpe and Heide and B&M announced that they sold three coasters to Europe for 2011. Their conclusion, that Heide gets a B&M, seems to be a bit too speculative in this context. Wardley has worked on various other projects (isnt he involved as well in 13?) and with the IAAPA report in First Drop, it seems that there are some further candidates for a European B&M in 2011. Personally, I would be rather surprised to see it showing up in Heide.

Re: Heide Park is planning an "Ungetüm 2011" by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 2/16/10 8:18:58 PM

Hmm, I thought I had read this on coasters&more and not on "Thrillride´s wild rumours"-page!