Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Insanity at Thorpe Park....

Insanity at Thorpe Park....

twpburton

Posted:
1/13/10 at
8:57:46 AM

Views: 2937

I was just perusing the internet and came across the Thorpe Park website. I've not had a lot of time in the last year or so to visit parks or really take note of whats new for this year, but hopefully a few visits are in order for 2010 (if anyone could fill me in on any big developments it would be appreciated!)

But anyway, I was checking the ticket prices for this year and almost had a heart attack!! £36.00 for an adult!! Even fasttrack tickets are severely ripping people off! When I worked there the 4 "big ride" ticket was around £3... its now £9!! The Ultimate fast track price is now £60!!

I don't think a Thorpe Park visit is in order this year unless I can get in touch with someone I know that works there! Does anyone know if you still have to pay for a map?! I bet thats around 5 quid for one of those now!!

Absolutely disgusting... I know the company wants to make some money... but come off it!

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/13/10 10:54:03 AM

Doing the math on this one, exchange rate stuff, and holy sh!t, that's insane! I would like to visit Thorpe, but not with them prices. Considering they have with ride reliability and so forth.

Tim.

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by Hurri Hurri Profile at 1/13/10 1:21:09 PM

The general public are stupid enough to pay it, that's the problem.

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/16/10 12:59:03 PM

Maybe this might weed out the chavs...no? ;)

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by twpburton at 1/17/10 4:32:33 PM

what... with the amount they receive in council benefits? 36 quid is a pittence to them... after the weed and lager of course...

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/17/10 6:55:33 PM

So much for that idea...

Too funny though, Tom. :)

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by hatt at 1/23/10 6:29:25 AM

Still no Woodie for Graeme, but I kind of like the new B&M rumor as seen in the new First Drop. That would be too nice if it becomes true User Submitted Picture

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/23/10 9:51:51 AM

> Still no Woodie for Graeme, but I kind of like the new B&M
> rumor as seen in the new First Drop. That would be too nice
> if it becomes true

Yep, I've got the new First Drop, but haven't read much of it yet. I liked Justin's verdict on Saw.

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/25/10 10:26:24 AM

So B&M rumours again, eh? Will it be a flyer or a hyper?

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/25/10 11:05:06 AM

> So B&M rumours again, eh? Will it be a flyer or a hyper?

It's rumoured to be a B&M version of Furious Baco. There's meant to be one for Gardaland and one for Thorpe Park.

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/27/10 1:47:07 AM

So are B&M getting into the launched coaster market? Furthermore, Thorpe already has a launched coaster (although this never stopped KD).

Re: Thorpe Park.... by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 1/27/10 6:02:14 AM

The park just doesn't work for me, its too popular and is too small which makes it feel claustrophobic and not enjoyable as it could be

The infrastructure needs a complete upgrade
- wider streets (much like parque warner)
- the creation of a main street running through the centre of the park (bull dosing neptunes beach, octopus garden and what's left of ranger county
- more facilities like toilets
- more restaurants and covered seating areas
- a parkwide lighting system to support late night opening better (rather than the coloured gels over the flood lights)
- ride hardware with strong capacity/reliability , including installation of dark rides
- better shows/entertainment offering, they should use the arena to actually put on a decent show capable of attracting / swallowing crowds, the badly dubbed 4d film from gardaland is poor quality, and look into investing in a lake based show

the cattle pen to the admission kiosks then, to the turnstiles and through the single metal detector is a bit of a nightmare and not the best welcome

what puzzles me is why they didn't expand the park to the back of Depth Charge along the peninsula which was used when the park was more replica forts than replica horror films instead they whacked a great service warehouse there, probably needed but could have been located in a less conspicuous place, now when the hotel is built it will look across the lake to this delightful metal shed, it's a shame

here's my choice of coasters for them
- new trains on colossus to resolve shakey issue
- gci twin track racing/duelling wooden coaster
- B&M hyper coaster with 3 train operation
- vekoma giant inverted boomerang (i'd be happy for them to copy n paste parque warner over the existing park tbh)

ahhh new year, same old rants but i feel better now :P

HighExtreme

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/27/10 11:16:13 AM

> So are B&M getting into the launched coaster market?
> Furthermore, Thorpe already has a launched coaster
> (although this never stopped KD).

Apparently, yes, for a "surprising" park according to First Drop (which I took to mean Disneyland Paris, although it could just mean a small park). However, that doesn't necessarily mean their "Wing Walkers" will be launched.

As for Stu's list, I agree with it. What's always bothered me most is that the ride hardware is never quite good enough. Thus, they have a lot of coasters, but none that are really satisfying psychologically.

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by twpburton at 1/28/10 1:34:05 PM

spot on, Thorpe needs a major revamp... but will they? Will they bo**ox!! Its almost become political as opposed to being a place of entertainment. Much like modern day top flight football! There is no passion for the game anymore, its just about the money!

I'm so pesimistic (spelling :\) about thorpe park nowadays. I guess its come from working there and being shunned away by them when I finished. But I understand what people expected when visiting there, and they just aren't delivering!

When you go abroad, especially to america, you are welcomed with open arms. Ok subconsciously they also just want your money, but they make you feel so much better whilst taking it! You go away with a real sense of value for money and the feeling of not being able to wait to return.

I'm sure i'll visit thorpe this year, but im not itching to go... I went once last year and sort of enjoyed it, but everything is just the same :\ reliability, chavs, prices etc... Before I worked there in 2006/2007, I went at least 8-10 times a year and also alton and chessie. I just don't have the urge anymore. I know its not a case of me growing up because I still love watching coaster vids and reading about them. I've just lost the passion for our parks. Something really needs to be done, anybody written to the park management? Perhaps a link to this thread would get some sort of ball in motion?

The History of Thorpe Park by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/9/10 9:59:14 AM

Once upon a time, Thorpe Park was a very well-designed, well-balanced theme park. The only problem was that, having only x: no way out, it needed a truly great outdoor coaster or two.

Thorpe was over-balanced in terms of water rides, like Logger's Leap, Thunder River Rapids and Depth Charge, but they were very well done.

Then along came Tussauds and introduced... another water ride! Fair play to them though, many people love Tidal Wave and it just seemed to work.

Unfortunately, Thorpe suffered a fire, which destroyed Magic Mill/Mr Rabbit's Tropical Travels and some other rides - a great shame, as a boat ride like that lends great form and balance to a park (like Miss Hippo's Fungle Safari).

Anyway, whatever the case, Thorpe needed a big coaster. Enter Colossus. Now, in many ways, Thorpe were on the right track, with great landscaping, theming etc, and it's not a bad size either. However, I truly believe they could have had a better coaster if they'd gone with B&M, a 6- or 7-inversion Floorless. Would that really have been worse for not having the "10 loops" marketing hook? No, I think it would have been a better ride, and be much more popular today.

Thorpe had a second chance to get things right with Nemesis Inferno, and they did, largely. Inferno is psychologically pleasing, with its seating and smoothness that just make you think "Ah, B&M". That said, it's not a truly brilliant coaster. It doesn't really seem big enough, even though it's 92ft, and doesn't have enough change in elevation. However, it is not an irritating coaster like Colossus.

Up until this point, Thorpe were basically still on the right track, but I don't know what happened in the next few years. Large areas were flattened for crude installations like Slammer and Stealth.

I had an epiphany when I visited in 2005. I took my sisters, saying how good Nemesis Inferno was. We rode it (and Colossus), and they were OK, but not truly exciting. My sisters preferred Tidal Wave and I declared Logger's Leap was the best ride in the park. Me - a log flume!!

This made me realise the park was better designed in the old days. I couldn't believe it, but I actually wished Mr Rabbit's Tropical Travels was there instead of Nemesis Inferno. If you look at some old photos, it's amazing how many trees have disappeared.

The sad thing is, it's too late in the medium term. Thorpe Park has basically ruined the core design it once had, and it doesn't help that they are aiming at chavs nowadays. Just to clarify, there's nothing wrong with thrill rides, but you can do it with a bit more decorum than Saw. After all, Florida has lots of thrill rides, like the Hulk, Kraken etc.

On a positive side, Thorpe Park now has lots of new areas to develop, and it can get it right. Furthermore, when Colossus and Saw become Thorpe Park's "Corkscrew", they can be removed and replaced with better this time around. You never know, the park could even plant some trees! :)

And that concludes my history of Thorpe Park!

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/10/10 12:56:37 AM

Great history lesson. :) From what pics I have seen (even recent), I seem to feel the vibe of Thorpe. Of course this slice of Heaven isn't tainted with ride closures and chavs. Still, as long as I have known Graeme, I have never heard him say a log flume was his favourite ride.

I'll be a quiet fan-boy, and excuse the comment that a 6or 7 inversion Beemer would have been better...It's too bad they couldn't have done a smaller version of Drachen Fire that was once at Busch gardens Williamsburg.

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/10/10 10:50:33 AM

> Still, as long as I have known Graeme, I have never heard
> him say a log flume was his favourite ride.

Well, I'm not even sure I'd ride it again. It's just the "best". Great theming, layout, drop etc.

> I'll be a quiet fan-boy, and excuse the comment that a 6or
> 7 inversion Beemer would have been better...

Tim, we'll ride it together, and you'll probably agree with me! ;)

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by geordieboy at 3/18/10 2:15:03 PM

i have never had to pay full price in a theme park ever...
You all have internet access.

eg.
"Cokezone" has half price tickets for Alton Towers.
and "lastminute.com" has cheap tickets for everywhere.

just gotta look around and never pay at the gate!

Re: Insanity at Thorpe Park.... by StealthAndGoliath StealthAndGoliath Profile at 8/22/10 5:37:08 PM

Dude its to keep the mank people out (no offense), and this is an epic theme park, just go on the 4 big rollercoasters and you'll see what i mean and yeah I agress with that person that Colossus could be smoother, but Stealth is perfection, Nemesis is great and Saw.. Saw is just brilliant. They need to rename depth charge, it doesn't suit the theming..