Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Downmarket Skegvegas Tit-For-Tat Odyssey

The Downmarket Skegvegas Tit-For-Tat Odyssey

the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile

Posted:
8/10/09 at
5:28:23 AM

Views: 3614

Photobucket

I visited Fantasy Island 8 years after my last visit, because 2 things have improved this year
(1) the introduction of a pay-one-price wristband system, much more affordable than the pay per ride token system £15 when booked online, absolutely terrific value for money, I was surprised to see the majority of the park guests still using the tokens (well fancy prepaid top up barcode deeleys)
(2) more reliable information on the ride availability on both the official and unofficial websites – only the absolutely insane and carousel were to be closed.

Photobucket

Fantasy Island has to be the only park you want to visit in the busiest times purely to guarantee the rides will be actually open. I find it shocking that in the summer school holiday highest of peak season that Odyssey is not open Monday to Fridays.

Photobucket

Aside from the mouse I had not yet ridden any of those super giant vekoma monster coasters standing high above the cluster of cheap market stalls below. We arrived in the ghetto parking lot, complete with car boot sale, parking costs £4 all day which I guess isn't bad for a sea-side resort.

Photobucket all that themeing just for a lottery kiosk

Heading inside the Pyramid we redeemed our wristbands from the ticket desk, a process which apparently required about 10 staff, unusually there were lots of staff everywhere, with 3-5 operating each ride – from an operational point of view they could really save a lot of money here it doesn't take 4 people to operate the space shot when you only have 1 actually loading guests

Oousing from every sweaty pore and dirty orifice the tackiest, cheapest market stalls have really taken over the theme park section, from try your luck con artist games to marshmallow willies you can dip in a chocolate fountain, the atmosphere feels seedy and unsavoury

Photobucket

What once was a themed food court is now a greasy spoon takeaway come mobility scooter showroom and not one but two tattoo parlours can be found in the tropical themed facades it seems a great waste

Photobucket

Odyssey was our first ride, front row, it seemed a little sluggish but was a pleasant ride, later re-rides unfortunately from the middle to back rows were uncomfortable, I actually got belted in the jaw by the restraint

Photobucket

Millennium is great fun, the giant overhead loops are fantastic smooth but nothing stand-out amazing for a seasoned coaster geek, I expect the general public were in awe

Photobucket

Most of the rides at Fantasy Island are very spinny or go-upside down, i think there is a gap for some middle ground family attractions. The flat rides are an interesting collection, a superb and very fast Top Scan, Amazing Confusion the weird mondial evolution/looping ship type thing and space shot has had the tilting seats device removed so is back to normal,

Photobucket

Back inside the pyramid we tried the 2 themed rides, seaquarium is a kind of bubbleworks and secrets of fantasy island a monorail with fully themed dark ride section was almost impressive

Photobucket

The main of the pyramid seems to be some kind of communal cabaret club for the many caravan parks which surround Fantasy Island, sat on a mix match of furniture holiday makers observe childrens entertainers with all the vim and vigour of a british rail station announcer

Photobucket

The themeing has just gone to rack and ruin really, the space seems to be miss-used most of it is taken up by the low capacity wet/dry slide and arcades, in an age where traditional theme parks are pushing to weatherproof themselves to become all year round resorts, the one park in the UK that was ahead of the trend has disappointingly fallen into the gutter wallowing in former boyband member appearances and cheap towel auctions off the back of a truck

Photobucket

HighExtreme

Re: The Downmarket Skegvegas Tit-For-Tat Odyssey by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 8/10/09 12:58:39 PM

I love the last (and some other equal) sentences. "Tacky" must have been invented there.

StellaVista

Re: The Downmarket Skegvegas Tit-For-Tat Odyssey by Graeme Graeme Profile at 8/10/09 3:24:39 PM

Brilliant, brilliant pictures. You have reminded me of the grand vision that Fantasy Island was.

> Fantasy Island has to be the only park you want to visit
> in the busiest times purely to guarantee the rides will be
> actually open. I find it shocking that in the summer school
> holiday highest of peak season that Odyssey is not open
> Monday to Fridays.

Yeah, that's crazy. It wasn't open when I last visited either.

> Most of the rides at Fantasy Island are very spinny or
> go-upside down, i think there is a gap for some middle
> ground family attractions.

This is very true. I don't mind loops, and I think Millennium Coaster is a good ride, but they could really do with a woodie, a junior hypercoaster or even a really good Huss Pirate Ship. The sad thing is that once upon a time any of those would be quite possible.

> and space shot has had the tilting seats device
> removed so is back to normal,

Oh, that's interesting.

Anyway, very interesting TR. It doesn't sound like you were as impressed with Millennium Coaster as me, but that's inevitable really, what with all the sitdown loopers you've ridden (and I haven't ridden)!

I still think the rides are amazing considering it's a seaside amusement park, but it's a great shame that the vision is now over.