Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Efteling Plans Joris en de Draak Duelling Woodie

Efteling Plans Joris en de Draak Duelling Woodie

the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile

Posted:
7/19/09 at
2:32:01 PM

Views: 4714

Photobucket

De Efteling are planning a duelling woodie to replace Pegasus their former junior woodie

Joris en de Draak (George & the Dragon) will be 25m tall and run 4 trains, the supplier has not yet been announced . . .

. . really like the concept art, i'm sure Efteling will sprinkle this beast with their usual impeccable standard themeing definitely the coaster to watch for 2010 already!

Re: Efteling Plans Joris en de Draak Duelling Woodie by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/19/09 5:09:44 PM

> Joris en de Draak (George & the Dragon) will be 25m
> tall and run 4 trains, the supplier has not yet been
> announced . . .

That's great, replacing a junior woodie with a full-size, duelling coaster. Could well be GCI, given their history with Lightning Racer and such.

Re: Efteling Plans Joris en de Draak Duelling Woodie by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 7/20/09 3:04:08 AM

Here's an idea what if they intertwine a full size and junior coaster (to actually replace pegasus) so Joris would be the junior trying to slay the large scale beast of de Draak . . in a similar way to how Tomahawk and Stampida duel at PortAventura

I'd take an educated guess at Great Coasters for the supplier, it's interesting how De Efteling are the biggest theme park in Holland, internationally renowned and a few hours away out of nowhere somebody puts a roller skater and soft play area in a warehouse (Toverland) almost overnight they've installed the most exciting coaster technology available in a first generation true family launched coaster and a contemporary giant wooden thriller . . . forcing the most established park in the country to remove, rethink and replace their existing hardware

If only the competition here in the UK could force the long established parks who perhaps have become complacent with their ride collection into a major re-think

Re: Efteling Plans Joris en de Draak Duelling Woodie by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/20/09 10:52:15 AM

> I'd take an educated guess at Great Coasters for the
> supplier, it's interesting how De Efteling are the biggest
> theme park in Holland, internationally renowned and a few
> hours away out of nowhere somebody puts a roller skater and
> soft play area in a warehouse (Toverland) almost overnight
> they've installed the most exciting coaster technology
> available in a first generation true family launched
> coaster and a contemporary giant wooden thriller . . .
> forcing the most established park in the country to remove,
> rethink and replace their existing hardware

> If only the competition here in the UK could force the long
> established parks who perhaps have become complacent with
> their ride collection into a major re-think

Yes, I find this situation very inspirational as well. (Incidentally, five years ago, who's have thought Efteling and Toverland would generally be ahead of "Six Flags Holland"?)

There are a few parks in the UK that have got good enough judgement - first and foremost Paultons, although I'm afraid I get the feeling they've almost judged Cobra "too thrilling" for the park, or at least as big as they'll get. This may very well be the right thing for them, of course.

The other park that springs to mind is Adventure Island, but they are very limited by space.

Personally, I was disappointed Flamingo Land didn't get that rumoured woodie in 2006. Instead they got Kumali. Three years later, they get Mumbo Jumbo. I'm afraid this is the cycle they're in now.

Re: UK Parks can't see the wood for the compromises by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 7/20/09 12:45:53 PM

> Yes, I find this situation very inspirational as well.
> (Incidentally, five years ago, who's have thought Efteling
> and Toverland would generally be ahead of "Six Flags
> Holland"?)

haha yes those American invaders underestimated the power of pixie dust and fairy magic! Walibi Holland is a great park but proves the standard text book argument that themeing makes an attraction

> There are a few parks in the UK that have got good enough
> judgement - first and foremost Paultons, although I'm
> afraid I get the feeling they've almost judged Cobra
> "too thrilling" for the park, or at least as big
> as they'll get. This may very well be the right thing for
> them, of course.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, personally i feel Paultons is trying to become a real theme park perhaps too quickly, loosing the charm for rather generic/soulless installations I've heard they are replacing the former Romany + oldey worldy village life museums with a 4d cinema and soft play area for 2010

While these are okay investments time and time again we've discussed how it pays to be unique, tripsdrill is an inspirational example of how to mix family park with regional rooted exhibits and humour

> Personally, I was disappointed Flamingo Land didn't get
> that rumoured woodie in 2006. Instead they got Kumali.
> Three years later, they get Mumbo Jumbo. I'm afraid this is
> the cycle they're in now.

they made such a promising start, velocity and Kumali are great coasters i do enjoy but it all went to pot, the splish splosh, flip flop and american adventure cast offs in a shed, just bad decisions that look more tackier than the travelling rides which were there before hand

Mumbo Jumbo looks a state and while it may create an impact now, its not really an investment for the future

Magnum Force was supposed to be replaced by a GCI coaster, they should have signed a big twister for flamingo and a medium out n back (el toro style) for sister park pleasure island

Re: UK Parks can't see the wood for the compromises by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/20/09 4:11:05 PM

> haha yes those American invaders underestimated the power
> of pixie dust and fairy magic! Walibi Holland is a great
> park but proves the standard text book argument that
> themeing makes an attraction

And it's not just theming, is it? It's something I find very hard to explain - many German, Dutch and Scandinavian parks have it. I think I'd define it as the feeling that a park has put a lot of effort into buying their new ride, and that it's a real contender as one of the best coasters around. Not by length or height, but something else.

For example, look at the new El Toro in Germany. I'd be quite happy to ride that and be satisfied it's as good as any existing GCI. Whether it is or not I don't know, but it's the feeling that's important.

I feel really sorry for Six Flags actually, with their European venture, as they chose really good rides for the most part - woodies for the Walibi parks (and Goliath, wow!) and two B&Ms for Warner Bros Madrid, amongst others.

> I think you've hit the nail on the head, personally i feel
> Paultons is trying to become a real theme park perhaps too
> quickly, loosing the charm for rather generic/soulless
> installations I've heard they are replacing the former
> Romany + oldey worldy village life museums with a 4d cinema
> and soft play area for 2010

Yeah, I don't think a 4D cinema is "genteel" or quaint enough for Paultons (and I can't use the soft play area, obviously!)

> they made such a promising start, velocity and Kumali are
> great coasters i do enjoy but it all went to pot, the
> splish splosh, flip flop and american adventure cast offs
> in a shed, just bad decisions that look more tackier than
> the travelling rides which were there before hand

Oh yeah, I'm not criticising Kumali, just saying that was the first time they passed on the opportunity to build a woodie, which I once genuinely thought they wanted.

The European parks just seem to "get it", whereas not many of the UK parks seem to understand what makes a good ride. I get the feeling the people building them aren't really that interested in rides, whereas they are abroad.

Do you think UK parks have to pass a ride proposal through more "money men" than European parks? It seems to me you can't get anything greenlighted unless it's explicitly marketable with a gimmick. Of course, "normal" coasters are marketable, but they don't seem to have faith in that.

Considering the UK's planning restrictions, I'm forever amazed how we keep managing to break records and get world's firsts! "First horror film coaster", "steepest coaster" (cough!).. Even SW6 is not just a normal Mega-Lite, but is rumoured to have a track drop and definitely a reverser section!

Re: Efteling Plans Joris en de Draak Duelling Woodie by junebugg junebugg Profile at 8/12/09 11:57:06 AM

GCII just confirmed it on their facebook.

It states....

Great Coasters International, Inc. See you at Efteling in 2010!

Re: Efteling Plans Joris en de Draak Duelling Woodie by Graeme Graeme Profile at 8/14/09 11:30:55 AM

Superb news. This will be my closest GCI yet!

Re: Efteling Plans Joris en de Draak Duelling Woodie by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 2/4/10 10:09:37 AM

> Superb news. This will be my closest GCI yet!

Joris En De Draak construction photos from rides.nl

Nice to see the RCT version of the layout, this is going to be a much more "family friendly" scale GCI like El Toro, looks a great layout with lots of interesting low to the ground, therefore (i'd hope) fast duels and jousts

Have to try and get across and ride this!

HighExtreme

Re: Efteling Plans Joris en de Draak Duelling Woodie by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/5/10 11:19:20 AM

> Joris En De Draak Nice to see the RCT version of the
> layout, this is going to be a much more "family
> friendly" scale GCI like El Toro, looks a great layout
> with lots of interesting low to the ground, therefore (i'd
> hope) fast duels and jousts

Yeah, it's a little bit smaller than something like Terminator, but it's still nice and big. Something about these pics gives me a warm glow!

> Have to try and get across and ride this!

Yes, I'm very tempted. Not sure how to go though. Coach is the easiest way, but there are certain things about them that I don't like. I quite fancy a "ferry + train" journey, if that's possible.

Re: Efteling Plans Joris en de Draak Duelling Woodie by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/7/10 12:43:51 PM

You could fly...;)

Re: Efteling Plans Joris en de Draak Duelling Woodie by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/21/10 5:58:25 PM

Here's a NoLimits recreation of the finished ride. I love the way the cars almost go through a "tunnel" of wood on their way to the lift hill: