Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR: Back to the '50s

TR: Back to the '50s

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
7/1/09 at
2:20:46 PM

Views: 4267

Stepping out of the car, I couldn't believe my eyes. There, on Clacton Pier, was a helter skelter - a big, classic one like they used to have. "Gary will love this", I thought.

gull
gull_flying

Next thing I saw was some sort of pleasure boat approaching the pier. Steam came out of it. It was a steamboat! I had to double-check I'd arrived in a Mondeo and not a DeLorean.

steamboat 3

Clacton used to have both these things, of course, but neither had been seen for many years. It appears there is a concerted effort to recreate the past.

I walked down to the pier and stepped onto the boards. They have a great many new machines, such as Sega and Namco "grabbers". This is what I love about Clacton Pier - they're always trying.

The helter skelter is a magnificent specimen close up - direct from the days of showmanship. I've no idea where it came from.

helter skelter
helter skelter 2

Approaching the end of the pier, I was lucky to see the pleasure boat depart. Where it was heading remains a mystery, although it did sail off in the direction of London.

Another new addition at Clacton is a huge windfarm, the construction of which has been a source of mystery for me over the past year or so. You can see it in the distance, miles offshore. Sometimes you can hear enormous clunking.

steamboat 2

Next, I headed into town, looked round the two game shops and bought a takeaway. It's rather a shame none of us can pop into Woolworths anymore, as that was a big part of Clacton for me. Still, it's always changing.

I sat in the beautiful seafront gardens in utter bliss, soaking up the sun and watching the enormous herring gulls swoop down onto the nearby lawns. I dropped a chip and threw it to a little bird. Salty air made my food taste even better. It was paradise.

Walking back to the car, there was one more thing I needed in order to make my seaside trip complete - an ice cream. There is a little isolated Nestle stand which, to me, is like an oasis. I bought a Vanilla Extreme and went home very contented.

helter skelter 3pier

Re: TR: Back to the '50s by d_n_s_u at 7/2/09 2:24:57 AM

> Stepping out of the car, I couldn't believe my eyes. There,
> on Clacton Pier, was a helter skelter - a big, classic one
> like they used to have. "Gary will love this", I
> thought.

- I love that!

Great reading and viewing Graeme - Is (Are) The Clacton Chronicles a goer??

:-)

Right - I'm off to catch up on all the posts on these boards. I've posted but not read enough on here recently.

Speak soon.

Re: TR: Back to the '50s by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/2/09 9:04:39 AM

> Great reading and viewing Graeme - Is (Are) The Clacton
> Chronicles a goer??

Yep, I tell you what, I'll update my draft article with all the amazing info on Joyland Books.

Re: TR: Back to the '50s by d_n_s_u at 7/2/09 11:23:57 AM

Look forward to it Graeme!

What is it about Helter Skelters that does it for me?

I dunno. :-)

Re: TR: Back to the '50s by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/2/09 11:37:19 AM

> What is it about Helter Skelters that does it for me?

> I dunno. :-)

Well, the slide in general is one of the simplest and best rides ever created. The helter skelter takes the basic idea and makes it so elegant. :)

Re: TR: Back to the '50s by d_n_s_u at 7/2/09 12:57:54 PM

Agreed! ^^^^

With help from All the Fun of the Fair forums I can now inform you (Courtesy of a guy named Mike Hart) the history of the Clacton Helter Skelter:

"Bishtons No2 is at Clacton for 2009

the history I have is

Jimmy Godden - Fleggburgh Village - Bishtons 2006"

Re: TR: Back to the '50s by d_n_s_u at 7/2/09 5:09:07 PM

The Helter Skelter at Clacton apparently appeared in the Marks & Spencers Fashion Fairground TV commercial advert last Autumn. :-)

Re: TR: Back to the '50s by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 7/2/09 7:12:01 PM

Graeme, wonderful report and pictures, my friend. Glad you had a great visit.

Chris.

Ispeed Rollback

Re: TR: Back to the '50s by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/21/09 6:32:08 PM

Wow, these are some wonderful pics, Grazza. As I always say, I love these seaside parks.

Tim.