Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Fantasy Island Goes POP

Fantasy Island Goes POP

the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile

Posted:
4/19/09 at
2:59:25 PM

Views: 3323

Fantasy Island has finally introduced pay-one-price wristbands this includes the S&S absolutely insane and the 2 coasters which were previously special ride tokens

the park is a strange one, they've always had such ambitious plans which never seem to materialise yet what they have built up over a relatively short time frame is an odd but interesting collection of rides

Blackpool Pleasure Beach has controversially become POP this season too after years of been a free entry attraction, with even travelling fairs in the uk now offering a POP entrance fee, is the paying per ride system becoming outdated?

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Fantasy Island Goes POP by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/19/09 4:55:20 PM

> Fantasy Island has finally introduced pay-one-price
> wristbands this includes the S&S absolutely insane and the
> 2 coasters which were previously special ride tokens

That's great news. I thought you meant something else by the title, so this is a relief!

When I've been up there, I've never actually bought any normal tokens, as I prioritised Millennium Coaster.

> the park is a strange one, they've always had such
> ambitious plans which never seem to materialise yet what
> they have built up over a relatively short time frame is an
> odd but interesting collection of rides

And spectacular, I'd say. I was impressed enough when I saw Millennium Coaster. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Jubilee Odyssey a few years later!

I would say this peroid of ambition started around 1998 with Volcanic Eruption and came to a halt around 2003, for various, understandable reasons. This is not to criticise the park. I find it all the more impressive that their "mega ride" plan happened over a mere 5 years.

Of course, building the park in the first place was ambitious, especially the pyramid.

> Blackpool Pleasure Beach has controversially become POP
> this season too after years of been a free entry
> attraction, with even travelling fairs in the uk now
> offering a POP entrance fee, is the paying per ride system
> becoming outdated?

Personally, I find the best system is to have wristbands and tokens. Both have too many advantages to scrap. Is Fantasy Island going POP-only then?

Re: Fantasy Island Goes POP by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/19/09 7:26:25 PM

Grazza, how often do you go up to FI? I know Millennium Coaster (almost typed Force out of instinct) is one of your faves. I haven't been to Fantasy Island, or anywhere in the UK yet (lol) but I too was always impressed what they did there with Jubilee and Millie.

Tim.

Re: Fantasy Island Goes POP by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/20/09 10:38:54 AM

> Grazza, how often do you go up to FI? I know Millennium
> Coaster (almost typed Force out of instinct) is one of your
> faves. I haven't been to Fantasy Island, or anywhere in the
> UK yet (lol) but I too was always impressed what they did
> there with Jubilee and Millie.

In all honesty, I went in 1999 and 2003. I do fancy going up there again, but the parks in that area have been a bit quiet recently. Bottons got Rockin Roller, so that's quite nice, but there's nothing new I want to ride at Fantasy Island or Pleasure Island. Still, it's a nice area.

Re: Fantasy Island Goes POP by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 4/20/09 12:58:38 PM

> Personally, I find the best system is to have wristbands
> and tokens. Both have too many advantages to scrap.
> Is Fantasy Island going POP-only then?

You can still buy ride tokens but by using a mobile phone/sms text service . . will be interesting to see how the public take to the system seems it would be much simpler to buy a wristband

Re: Fantasy Island Goes POP by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/20/09 8:30:15 PM

What are the prices, or were for Jubilee and Post Reply Reply +Quote

Re: Fantasy Island Goes POP by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/21/09 10:49:46 AM

Winged Beast:
> You can still buy ride tokens but by using a mobile
> phone/sms text service . . will be interesting to see how
> the public take to the system seems it would be much
> simpler to buy a wristband

I wouldn't understand how to do that, personally. I can't see why you can't buy them at a kiosk. That's what I've always loved about seaside parks - you just pop in and decide what you want to ride on the day.

> What are the prices, or were for Jubilee and
> £4 each, which wasn't bad in my opinion, as a ride on Millennium Coaster felt like a big event. I'd go and ride it over multiple nights of the holday.

I don't know how much the other tokens were, but there always seemed to be a "Buy £12, get £12's worth free" deal on. I would have bought some if you could use them for Millennium Coaster, but there just weren't enough other rides I wanted to go on, personally.

Re: Fantasy Island Goes POP by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 4/22/09 6:24:39 AM

The wristband idea for Fantasy Island has been threatened for a few years now and i'm pleased it's finally arrived as Millenium Coaster and Jubilee Odyssey are great coasters that just demand re-riding! I found the other rides to be nothing special but there is a wide variety of them and there is something for all ages. The wristband is a great idea for Fantasy Island.

Chris.

Re: Fantasy Island Goes POP by chris_IQ at 5/23/09 5:50:43 PM

The pay per ride option is now £1, £2, or £3 depending on the type of ride. Pretty good value compared to how much similar parks charge. Full details of pricing at the park is available here: http://www.islandquest.co.uk/planner.php?mode=prices

The wristbands are cheaper if you order them in advance via the website, but as long as all the rides are available, I think that the pricing is excellent value for money.

Fantasy Island Pricing Information - Island Quest

Re: Fantasy Island Goes POP by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/23/09 7:10:08 PM

> The pay per ride option is now £1, £2, or £3 depending
> on the type of ride. Pretty good value compared to how much
> similar parks charge. Full details of pricing at the park
> is available here: The wristbands are cheaper if you
> order them in advance via the website, but as long as all
> the rides are available, I think that the pricing is
> excellent value for money.

Yeah, they're really good prices. Can't argue with them at all.

Right, I need to go up to Lincolnshire again!

Re: Fantasy Island Goes POP by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 5/27/09 1:39:15 PM

> The pay per ride option is now £1, £2, or £3 depending
> on the type of ride. Pretty good value compared to how much
> similar parks charge. Full details of pricing at the park
> is available here: The wristbands are cheaper if you
> order them in advance via the website, but as long as all
> the rides are available, I think that the pricing is
> excellent value for money.

> Yeah, they're really good prices. Can't argue with them at
> all.

> Right, I need to go up to Lincolnshire again!

Road trip! :D

Re: Fantasy Island Goes POP by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/27/09 5:44:55 PM

>> Right, I need to go up to Lincolnshire again!

> Road trip! :D

Come along, Tim. Just don't whiz in the bottle!