Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What roller coaster types are not represented in the UK?

What roller coaster types are not represented in the UK?

Nick

Posted:
3/27/09 at
3:46:27 AM

Views: 2752

Is there a particular roller coaster technology/concept that isn't represented in the UK that should be? For example, we now have the more than 90 degrees drop at Oakwood, Thorpe and Adventure Island, we have motorbike coasters, inverted coasters, top hat, 10 inversions, etc.

I know we have not got B&M floorless, but what else should we have in this country?

Roller Coaster books

Re: What roller coaster types are not represented in the UK? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/27/09 11:02:44 AM

> Is there a particular roller coaster technology/concept
> that isn't represented in the UK that should be? For
> example, we now have the more than 90 degrees drop at
> Oakwood, Thorpe and Adventure Island, we have motorbike
> coasters, inverted coasters, top hat, 10 inversions, etc.

> I know we have not got B&M floorless, but what else should
> we have in this country?

Oh, Nick, B&M Floorless has been my personal campaign for a long time! I still earnestly think Thorpe Park should have got one in 2002 instead of Colossus. I also remember thinking "Air is good, but I'm sure I'll be riding a Floorless in 2006 as SW6". Well, obviously, it never happened, which I consider a great shame.

Now, I seriously think we are deficient in woodies as well. I know the UK has got Megafobia, but now we have the beautifully-refined coasters from GCI, featuring the single-row articulated Millennium Flyers. Apparently Gravity Group now have their own single-row articulated trains too. It'd be lovely to populate England with a few of these, as I once hoped would happen with CCI.

The other main type is the junior hypercoaster or "Mega-Lite". Yes, we have the Big One, but it's from another era now. That type of coaster has been refined so much; they've got them down to 100ft and 150ft versions. I'd love to see some of those, especially from B&M. In fact, "B&M Speedcoaster" is a specific type we don't have. I also think Gerstlauer could make a good one, sort of a "Super Bobsled".

The main issue, as I see it, is the Tussauds parks stopped building the major rides, and whilst everything from Spinball to Saw/Alton 2010 may be good in their own right, if Tussauds don't build the big rides, who else can?

Re: What roller coaster types are not represented in the UK? by rossafc rossafc Profile at 4/6/09 7:24:14 AM

a floorless coaster is needed in the uk. SW6 maybe?
Thorpe wont get a new coaster for a few years now so hopefully alton will.:)

Re: What roller coaster types are not represented in the UK? by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 4/12/09 8:30:52 AM

> we now have the more than 90 degrees drop at
> Oakwood, Thorpe and Adventure Island, we have motorbike
> coasters, inverted coasters, top hat, 10 inversions, etc.

I think we're quite lucky for the wide range of different coaster types we have here in the UK

2 Scenic railways, a small surviving virginal reel, steeple chase, bobsleigh, wooden mouse, arrow shuttle loop, maurer x car, only stand-up to feature a zero-g roll and the ultimate!

Re: What roller coaster types are not represented in the UK? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/15/09 1:22:14 AM

^^^Well said. I as an American always kinda envied the coaster types that yall have over there on the other side of the pond; It's a nice mix of older coaster types, and new innovations. Maybe I should make a North America thread saying "What kinda coasters that need to be represented in the US". LOL.