Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > See Saw Here

See Saw Here

d_n_s_u

Posted:
3/14/09 at
4:30:27 AM

Views: 2535

Click the link and watch the guy turn a funny colour:

BBC: Saw

Re: See Saw Here by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/14/09 11:59:02 AM

Good to see Andy Hine still doing his thang! "Keeping the wooden end up", as Roger Moore would say!

RCDB

Re: See Saw Here by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/16/09 1:47:08 PM

I just read the article and 'saw' the viddy, and was rather impressed. I agree with Andy that the days of the tallest and fastest coasters will be a thing of the past. As for the ride footage(I have on YouTube), I feel like it's missing something. Granted, riding it I might not think the same, but it still looks like a fun ride regardless.

Re: See Saw Here by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/16/09 5:57:05 PM

> I just read the article and 'saw' the viddy, and was rather
> impressed. I agree with Andy that the days of the tallest
> and fastest coasters will be a thing of the past.

That's a very interesting point. I know Andy Hine has always said things like "Instead of building the biggest, longest, fastest, why not build the best?" I'm paraphrasing, not directly quoting, but I have always totally agreed with those sentiments.

Let's look at Saw though. Now please believe me, I am putting my dislike of theme aside here, and even my regret that Thorpe changed their plans from the alleged B&M.

Is Saw really the best way to go about this idea?

I don't think so. I don't think having a themed station and short, themed pre-lift hill section is the answer.

Also, I thought the implication of the article was that other ways had to be found to make rides scary. Andy Hine didn't say this, and I salute him for it. My point is that why should rides be made scarier? They should just be made better. It's not the same thing.

OK, you can't afford to break records, but theming costs money. I'd argue that the money saved would be better spent on landscaping and the quality of the ride than theming.

Just trying to provide some food for thought.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: See Saw Here by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/17/09 1:25:18 AM

I agree with what you're saying, not sure it's good for a jolly conversation, but I know for me, certain rides must have an intimidation factor for me. Not all, but for me, I love a coaster that will make me laugh, just as much as one that'll make me wince with antiCiPation.

For theming, you must try a Disney Park as they are really top notch, although Europa and Phantasialand also come to mind.

My two cents. :)

Re: See Saw Here by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/17/09 11:48:23 AM

> I agree with what you're saying, not sure it's good for a
> jolly conversation, but I know for me, certain rides must
> have an intimidation factor for me. Not all, but for me, I
> love a coaster that will make me laugh, just as much as one
> that'll make me wince with antiCiPation.

In addition to this, I was thinking - does it really matter that world records are no longer attainable in the UK? I don't think it does, as only The Big One and The Ultimate spring to mind anyway.

UK parks have always been unable to break world records, and this has never been a problem. These very conditions gave us... Nemesis!

Now, I'd say the main difference between Nemesis and Saw is that the manufacturer is the best of the best and the layout is amazing, so is the landscaping. Yes, it's themed, but I'd guess far more money went on landscaping and general quality.

* This Post Has Been Modified *