Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out!

C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out!

charliexjx charliexjx Profile

Posted:
2/25/09 at
11:42:51 AM

Views: 1511

Howdy!

I'm 24 years old, and I live in Norwich, and I have been going to Pleasurewood Hills since I was a tiny baby, I would always get so excited when I knew I was going. My parents and grand parents used to take me as they knew how much I loved the place.

And Pleasurewood Hills has a special place in my heart for that reason.

And when the news came about a good fews ago now, that Grevin & Cie/CdA were purchasing the park, I couldn't have been happier. Whilst new rides were being added by Peter and (Peggy?), they were tat, the park was looking VERY run down, the food was bloody awful and I honestly didn't think the park would last much longer, so you can understand my joy at the prospect of new owners, making PWH one of the wealthiest parks in the Country.

And IMO, they made an immdiate impact by spending £2m on improving the park and its catering, and I believe they done a brillint job. They, like me, clearly dont like the look of portable rides, so they tried to cover up the 'portableness' of the certain rides and whilst it was only with woodchip, it done the trick. And the same with the restraunts, the food made now be over priced still, but the quality of the food has just shot straight through the roof!

They scrapped the "new" from the park name, which again IMO was a good move, and they gave the park a new logo, again good move, oh and also built that new office building with reception.

I am however a bit iffy about some of the names the rides have been given, like Whizzy Dizzy and Merry Go Straight, whilst on the other hand Mouse Trap, Enigma and Wipeout are an improvement.

Image plays a big part in my liking of a park, and I get the feeling PWH feel the same too, the park is really nice and clean, it has nice flower beds and water featers etc, which is nice to see.

So things were really looking good with the new owners (though Tales of the coast is awful), but what they done since?

Not much is the answer.

Yes we cant blame them for everything that happened with Wipeout, but IMO, when things started to go wrong with the planning permission, they should have put it in another one of their parks, and gone for a custom Euro-Fighter. Dont get me wrong, I like Wipeout, and I think they done a grand job with it, but they could have had a ride with more gimmicks, less noise, less maintenance problems, lower price and higher throughput.

But theres no point in saying all that, as its happened now. But are they going to do anything else with PWH?

It has the financial backing, and the space, to become a great park. Not an amazing park, but a great one.

I'd like to see: (and I'm being sensible, not INTAMIN ROCKED 500FT 400MPH YEAHHHHHHHHH)

- A new park entrance, all them colous just look tacky to me now, I'd like to see the same style as Alton, 3 little 'huts' selling the tickets futher out, and the current entrance beign turned into a row of turnstiles, where you enter by putting your ticket through the machine. And give the entrance a nice 3D sign, the park logo is nice, but a proper 3d one made of say, wood or metal would look much better than the current flat sign

- Intamin Gyro Swing (Maelstrom, Drayton) on the patch where the Hungry Bears pavillion used to be. They're fantastic rides and it would fill the long walk to lonely area of the park. (Not a portable one.)

- Rapids, dont know the exact manufacturer of them, but you know them rapids that travel with Mellors and the ones that Lightwater are getting. Putting them in the area where the Dinosaur walk through used to be, next to Rattlesnake, give them the nice theme that the rapids at WMSP have.

- Remove the AWFUL Dodgems and put a nice new Ferris Wheel there, oh and put a proper restraunt down there too. These last few things would improve that area of the park SO SO much.

- Spinning Coaster, ie Whirlwind from Camelot to be placed where the Waveswinger is, oh and scrap that as its on its last legs, and has been for a while.

- Sell Fireball (Whizzy Dizzy, no need for it with Gyro Swing) and replace it with an S&S Space Shot (Pleasure Island). Planning shouldn't be an issue as the old "Eye on the Coast" observation Tower used to sit there, and they don't cost much either. Would like it to be a bit taller than PI's though, as that is bloody tiny!

- Bin Thunderstruck and replace with a Mondial Topscan, not a portable one!

- Spend money on sorting Engima out so it can run more than one train, oh and obviously somehow try and get the other trains back. Its a great little coaster and I'd like to see it being used properly.

- And lastly, a Euro-Fighter on the scale of Rage to sit where the old 3D Cinema used ot be.

Obviously all these things wouldn't happen at once, but if in a few years PWH could have all that, I'd be more than happy.

No doubt I'll think of other improvements I have thought of but forgot to mention, and I'll be sure to post them if I do.

But c'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out, you ca be a good park, and you bloody well no it!

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/25/09 6:23:54 PM

Good post. I think the current situation boils down to how good you think Wipeout is and whether you think the other money was well spent. If you do like Wipeout, then it only opened in 2007, and a big ride every three years is a very reasonable plan.

Personally, I would say let's not undervalue the appeal of a brand new ride. I'm only in favour of relocations if the ride is exceptional (which I don't think Vekoma Boomerangs are). Furthermore, with an old steelie, there's always the risk that it'll be rough. Just not worth it, in my opinion.

> And when the news came about a good fews ago now, that
> Grevin & Cie/CdA were purchasing the park, I couldn't
> have been happier. Whilst new rides were being added by
> Peter and (Peggy?), they were tat, the park was looking
> VERY run down, the food was bloody awful and I honestly
> didn't think the park would last much longer, so you can
> understand my joy at the prospect of new owners, making PWH
> one of the wealthiest parks in the Country.

I was excited too, but I have to disagree about the state of the park under the Haddens. It was just what I wanted. They bought decent, brand new equipment most years, which gave us the excuse we needed to visit the park every so often. Loved the Mouse, loved Fireball, loved some of the old rides. I couldn't complain at all.

I know nothing was really themed, but look at Merlin now - wasting their budget on theming when they could actually have better equipment instead. It's laughable what their parks are actually getting compared to what's been rumoured over the years. Small parks are as good as them now.

Anyway, I digress.

> - Rapids, dont know the exact manufacturer of them, but you
> know them rapids that travel with Mellors and the ones that
> Lightwater are getting. Putting them in the area where the
> Dinosaur walk through used to be, next to Rattlesnake, give
> them the nice theme that the rapids at WMSP have.

You can get small ones like that from Reverchon and Fabbri. They're nice, although I'd prefer to see one of the much bigger ones from ABC like at Prater Park and throughout Europe.

> - Spinning Coaster, ie Whirlwind from Camelot to be placed
> where the Waveswinger is, oh and scrap that as its on its
> last legs, and has been for a while.

Not a bad choice at all. I haven't ridden it but would quite like to. I think I'd go for Gerstlauer though, if I wanted a spinning coaster (see later...)

> - Sell Fireball (Whizzy Dizzy, no need for it with Gyro
> Swing) and replace it with an S&S Space Shot (Pleasure
> Island). Planning shouldn't be an issue as the old
> "Eye on the Coast" observation Tower used to sit
> there, and they don't cost much either. Would like it to be
> a bit taller than PI's though, as that is bloody tiny!

I haven't been on a Gyro Swing, so can't argue, but I think they're fine keeping Whizzy Dizzy (or Fireball, to use its "real" name). ;)

The S&S tower would work a treat (Pleasure Island's is only 90ft because it's a Double Shot.)

> - Spend money on sorting Engima out so it can run more than
> one train, oh and obviously somehow try and get the other
> trains back. Its a great little coaster and I'd like to see
> it being used properly.

I have to disagree with this. OK, it's moderate fun, but nothing compared to a Gerstlauer Bobsled. Wasn't it up for sale once and they couldn't sell it?

> - And lastly, a Euro-Fighter on the scale of Rage to sit
> where the old 3D Cinema used ot be.

Can't go wrong with a 2- or 3-coaster deal with Gerstlauer! I just don't see anyone making such high-quality coasters at seemingly low prices.

Oh, and buy a woodie too. :)

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 2/26/09 11:14:00 AM

--I'm only in favour of relocations if the ride is exceptional (which I don't think Vekoma Boomerangs are).

I'm not a massive fan either, but it is a massive ride for PWH, a coaster of this size has never been seen in this area. It tall, fast, has inversions and goes backwards.

--Furthermore, with an old steelie, there's always the risk that it'll be rough.

But even new coaster can be rough. Wipeout is getting some pretty good reviews, many people are saying its one of the better Boomerangs around, mainly because its not very rough.

--Not a bad choice at all. I haven't ridden it but would quite like to. I think I'd go for Gerstlauer though, if I wanted a spinning coaster (see later...)

I only say about Whirlind as that is, I guess, up for sale. Our personal opinions will obvisouly be to go for a nice new coaster, but look at it from the parks point of view, its a hell of a lot cheaper, with the same gimmick.

--I haven't been on a Gyro Swing, so can't argue, but I think they're fine keeping Whizzy Dizzy (or Fireball, to use its "real" name). ;)

This just comes down to my personal opinion of how much I love Gyro Swings, and how much I dislike portable rides. But dont get me wrong, of all the flats there, Whizzy Dizzy is the best, and best looking.

And yes I no Whirlind is a portable ride, along with the Rapids I'd like, but they can be disguised.

--The S&S tower would work a treat (Pleasure Island's is only 90ft because it's a Double Shot.)

So is the one at Loundon Castle (Pleasureland) but thats 140ft.

--I just don't see anyone making such high-quality coasters at seemingly low prices.

Rage cost Adventure Island around £750,000, thats cheap for what you get IMO.

--I have to disagree with this. OK, it's moderate fun, but nothing compared to a Gerstlauer Bobsled. Wasn't it up for sale once and they couldn't sell it?

I think you're seeing things too much as a coaster entusiast, a Bobsled wouldn't fit in Engima's space, not many coaster can, apart from Fabbri's, and thats what most people like about Enigma, its so good for what size it is.

Pleasurewood isn't big enough to have large coasters like a Woodie or a Bobsled, though a Bobsled would have fit where Wipeout is, but again, that wouldn't really do the park any favours, not enough gimmicks to draw the guests in. IMO PWH needed a coaster like Wipeout.

I reckon a bog standard SLC would fit where Tidal Wave (Wavebreaker) is, but planning would be an issue as there are house behind them trees, so thats a no.

I'd make that area around the Tidal Wave a kiddies area, move all the small kiddies rides and Helter Skelter in that space behind Tidal Wave, and ad a Caterpillar coaster, and a massive new play area/park, that would be a big hit IMO.

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by andyb andyb Profile at 2/26/09 12:06:29 PM

Whirlwind is a decent idea, it'd look nice where the Kite Flyer is at the drive end of the Chairlift.

Hyper Blaster is one of my fave tower rides. Although only 90ft it packs a punch, and would be ideal at PWH.

What i can't understand is why they don't relocate rides between the sister parks. 'New' attractions which would only cost the transporting.

Enigma is just about past it. Only running one train is a joke and it is now very rough.

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/26/09 6:15:39 PM

>> --I just don't see anyone making such high-quality coasters
>> at seemingly low prices.

> Rage cost Adventure Island around £750,000, thats cheap
> for what you get IMO.

Yep, I agree. I meant to say "anyone else".

> I think you're seeing things too much as a coaster
> entusiast, a Bobsled wouldn't fit in Engima's space, not
> many coaster can, apart from Fabbri's, and thats what most
> people like about Enigma, its so good for what size it is.

OK, fair comment. I suppose I do see things from a coaster enthusiast's point of view, but also from a "family day out" point of view. I know what we always liked, and that was welcoming, high-quality, non-looping, non-vertical drop rides. Coasters like Bobsleds and woodies are particularly welcoming (no spinning, don't make you feel sick).

True, a Gerstlauer Bobsled might not fit into Enigma's space (an Aqua Wind clone might though), but it doesn't have to go there. The Bobsled could go elsewhere and, as it's the lowest point of the park, the tower ride could go there.

> Pleasurewood isn't big enough to have large coasters like a
> Woodie or a Bobsled, though a Bobsled would have fit where
> Wipeout is, but again, that wouldn't really do the park any
> favours, not enough gimmicks to draw the guests in. IMO PWH
> needed a coaster like Wipeout.

It's definitely big enough to have a Gerstlauer Bobsled. Look at Cobra at Paultons - 55ft high, reasonable footprint. Also, they can be completely custom and fit into any space.

A woodie is bigger, true, but I still think they could fit one in if they dedicated one of their "zones" to it. I think the log flume side of the park would be ideal.

Quite honestly, if you like Wipeout then they are on the right track. As long as they get something good for 2010, that is.

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 2/27/09 11:05:46 AM

--Whirlwind is a decent idea, it'd look nice where the Kite Flyer is at the drive end of the Chairlift.

That area is too small, and the coaster is too big. Though I would like to see a nice new flat in there, its a nice location for a flat ride.

--Hyper Blaster is one of my fave tower rides. Although only 90ft it packs a punch, and would be ideal at PWH.

Hyper Blaster is my favourite of all the shot towers, its just crazy how much you get ejected out of your seat, I just think it looks a bit odd, it looks as if it needs to be taller.

--What i can't understand is why they don't relocate rides between the sister parks. 'New' attractions which would only cost the transporting.

But the transportation of the rides would cost alot, they dont have another park in the UK, so they would be travelling over seas?

--Enigma is just about past it. Only running one train is a joke and it is now very rough.

Its only past it because of how its been treated. I wouldn't replace it for one reason, why replace it, when you have space like all over the park to build rides? It doesn't really need to be replaced IMO, it just needs some TLC, which I guess CdA aren't willing to give it!

--and, as it's the lowest point of the park, the tower ride could go there.

IMO a tower ride down there would just look odd and it would be a waste of space. They've had the Mega Drop and the Eye on the Coast, so a tower ride would be fine at a normal level in the park. I suppose the Whirlwind coaster would fit down there a treat, but like I said above, it doesn't need to be down there as theres plent of other places around the park it could go.

--A woodie is bigger, true, but I still think they could fit one in if they dedicated one of their "zones" to it. I think the log flume side of the park would be ideal.

IMO it would look silly having a big Wooden coaster in such a small park. They would have to remove quite a few attractions for just one, and their attraction list is small enough as it is!

--Quite honestly, if you like Wipeout then they are on the right track. As long as they get something good for 2010, that is.

I dont get what you mean by that?

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/27/09 4:17:29 PM

>> --Quite honestly, if you like Wipeout then they are on the
>> right track. As long as they get something good for 2010,
>> that is.

> I dont get what you mean by that?

All I'm saying is that, if you like their rides, then they are not behind schedule yet. Oakwood had a plan where they got a big ride every three years - Megafobia in 1996, The Bounce in 1999. It worked a treat until it went terribly wrong, but of course, that had nothing to do with the timing.

Pleasurewood opened Wipeout in 2007, so as long as they open another big ride by 2010, they are on track.

This is why a big ride has to be "great". If you get it right, like Cobra and Megafobia, the pulling power lasts for years. If Wipeout is as good as you say, they shouldn't need another new ride yet.

However, I firmly believe that the park is lacking a good family coaster. Let's hope they get something good this year, anyway, as it's best to have a reason to visit every year.

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 3/2/09 11:21:40 AM

But IMO Pleasurewood will never get another large coaster/ride on the scale of Wipeout.

The park doesn't need to be filled with large rides IMO. just good rides, and plenty of them.

IMO a ride like Bounce isn't a 'big' ride for a park.

I really do believe that what I set out above would make the park so much better, more enjoyable, and worth a re-visit.

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/2/09 4:07:37 PM

> But IMO Pleasurewood will never get another large
> coaster/ride on the scale of Wipeout.

That's fair enough, because it's very tall and, to be honest, the park was never about that sort of experience.

> The park doesn't need to be filled with large rides IMO.
> just good rides, and plenty of them.

Yup. I remember how enjoyable it was in the '80s when there were four zones and each had a few rides like Pirate Ship, Troika and Rattlesnake, which did count as major considering the park.

> IMO a ride like Bounce isn't a 'big' ride for a park.

Yes, now you mention it, I think they had a plan to alternate "big" and "medium-big" rides every three years.

> I really do believe that what I set out above would make
> the park so much better, more enjoyable, and worth a
> re-visit.

Yes, it's a good plan! What do you think of those ABC rapids like at Prater Park and quite a few German parks? I haven't ridden one, but they do look better than the Reverchon ones to me (which I have ridden, and are good).

One thing I'd love them to bring back is the model fairground that was near the bridge over the miniature railway that links Red County and Blue County. If I recall correctly, it had a model wooden coaster or two. I really loved it.

I really like your plan, charlie. I think we've got crossed wires more than anything. My main difference in what I'd like to happen to the park is just to bring in one or two top-quality family coasters, to replace Rattlesnake and Enigma if necessary, because that's what my Family and I really enjoy.

How about a non-looping launched coaster? I haven't ridden one yet, but I'd like one a lot less intense than I've heard Rita and Stealth are. A hydraulic-launched Vekoma might be just the thing.

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by leon leon Profile at 3/4/09 6:58:05 AM

I like the suggestions made so far.

My question is, however, why is there so much space wasted around the park? For instance take the area behind 'Whizzy Dizzy' or behind Tidal wave coaster; in fact there is quite a bit of space there - you would get away with a decent, non-looping coaster there.

I think that the old entrance area as well could be utilised for something. Perhaps as a second entrance to the park again?

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 3/4/09 11:39:03 AM

--What do you think of those ABC rapids like at Prater Park and quite a few German parks?

I have never seen one, I tried to find a picture of one when you first mentioned them, but no luck.

--I really like your plan, charlie.

My names Martyn, this is my ex-girlfriends account, I just never bothered to open my own account for some reason, lol.

--My main difference in what I'd like to happen to the park is just to bring in one or two top-quality family coasters, to replace Rattlesnake and Enigma if necessary, because that's what my Family and I really enjoy

I was thinking today that Rattlesnake could be replaced with a Bobsled coaster, and they'd still be able to have the Ferris Wheel and Rapids either side, that I suggested.

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/4/09 1:37:39 PM

>> --What do you think of those ABC rapids like at Prater Park
>> and quite a few German parks?

> I have never seen one, I tried to find a picture of one
> when you first mentioned them, but no luck.

My fault. I forgot that they are actually called "River Splash". Installations of them are:

Lost World, Erse Park Uetze, Germany
http://www.freizeitpark-welt.de/freizeitparks/ersepark/ersepark_start.php?id=1312

River Splash, Steinwasen Park
http://www.steinwasen-park.de/index.php?site=a_riversplash&menu=attraktionen&lg=

Wild n' Wet (travelling, Germany)
http://www.s104638357.websitehome.co.uk/html/widlnwet_main.htm

Wildalpenbahn, Prater Vienna
http://www.prater.at/AttraktionsDetail.php?Id=2003

Wildwasser Rafting, Bayern Park
http://www.parkscout.de/artikel/wildwasser-rafting-im-bayern-park/freizeitparks-deutschland

I don't know how wet you get, or how fast they go, but they look top class to me.

> I was thinking today that Rattlesnake could be replaced
> with a Bobsled coaster, and they'd still be able to have
> the Ferris Wheel and Rapids either side, that I suggested.

Yeah, good idea. I'd love to put a Bobsled there (which is really like a mouse, just the best mouse ever!) and theme it like the Rattlesnake, with wooden shafts and lots of vegetation to zoom through.

A rapids slide could go on the dinosaur site, like you say (might be a bit tall), next to the Watercoaster or next to the log flume.

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 3/6/09 11:01:32 AM

I think, as a 'survival' package, Pleasurewood would be best to just go for the Rapids I suggested, then if all my ideas for the park were added, and the park became a bigger succes, they could then start doing bigger things, like adding one of these:

http://www.parkscout.de/artikel/wildwasser-rafting-im-bayern-park/freizeitparks-deutschland

That looks absolutely awsome, not too keen on the other ones though, as they seemed to just be a slide, with not much 'River rapids' to them, if you get what I mean.

They could then also, for example, get rid of the Whirlwind coaster and replace it a new one, like Sierra Sidewinder, and then replace the Rattlesnake with a Bobsled coaster.

All my little ideas are what I believe would get the park back on track, so then some proper investment could be done.

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by andyb andyb Profile at 3/6/09 11:03:49 AM

> I don't know how wet you get, or how fast they go, but
> they look top class to me.

Don't they just? This is exactly the type of ride PWH should be aiming for.

Not sure about losing the Rattlesnake, though. My 4 year old loves it, and when i operated it 6 years ago i noticed just how many people enjoy it. A true 'family ride', albeit getting on a bit! Enigma is neither here nor there. Not a 'giant' nor a family ride.

New name for Mellow Yellow is TIMBER FALLS. (Although nothing beats the original WILD WATER FALLS IMO)

I think they have moved some Kiddie rides about too.

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/7/09 4:29:41 PM

Martyn:
> I think, as a 'survival' package, Pleasurewood would be
> best to just go for the Rapids I suggested, then if all my
> ideas for the park were added, and the park became a bigger
> succes, they could then start doing bigger things, like
> adding one of these:

The thing is though, once it's there, it'll be there to stay.

> That looks absolutely awsome, not too keen on the other
> ones though, as they seemed to just be a slide, with not
> much 'River rapids' to them, if you get what I mean.

The Bayern Park one does look the best. Interestingly, it has a traditional lift hill too instead of the vertical lift, despite being one of the newest ones (as far as I'm aware).

In my opinion, the great thing about these rides is that they are mostly water slides.

Either way, the Reverchon one at Funderworld is the best rapids ride I've ever been on.

Andy:
> Not sure about losing the Rattlesnake, though. My 4 year
> old loves it, and when i operated it 6 years ago i noticed
> just how many people enjoy it. A true 'family ride', albeit
> getting on a bit! Enigma is neither here nor there. Not a
> 'giant' nor a family ride.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. Rattlesnake is a Pleasurewood classic, whereas Enigma doesn't really do much for me. It's cool though.

I wonder if they'll ever get rid of Wipeout? I know it's silly, but that's where I'd love to put a Bobsled, as that's where we used to enjoy the Mouse.

> New name for Mellow Yellow is TIMBER FALLS. (Although
> nothing beats the original WILD WATER FALLS IMO)

Do you know if they've done much with the theming?

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by andyb andyb Profile at 3/10/09 8:03:20 AM

> Do you know if they've done much with the theming?

Well today (Tues) pieces still lay in the car park, some still with the yellow paint job.

(I doubt it, but i wonder if they could be extending the ride?)

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/10/09 10:32:24 AM

> Well today (Tues) pieces still lay in the car park, some
> still with the yellow paint job.

> (I doubt it, but i wonder if they could be extending the
> ride?)

Thanks Andy.

The thing is, I recently found out it's an off-the-shelf model, with the others mostly in Scandinavia. It's a Reverchon too, but one of the older ones. The newer Reverchon log flumes are the ones with two parallel lifts and two parallel drops (one of which is a double drop).

The most important thing they should do is shield that low turn from the big splash. Other than that, I've always fancied some fibreglass mountain and grizzly bear theming.

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by khanage at 3/10/09 12:16:11 PM

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum here and it's great to see some enthusiastic discussion about Pleasurewood Hills on the net!

I visited Pleasurewood Hills last year for the first time since 2000 (I think). When I would young throughout the late eighties and the nineties I visited Pleasurewood Hills on an annual basis and absolutely loved the place - I used to get incredibly excited about it. When I went back in 2000 I had obviously grown up a bit but I was a sorely disappointed 16 yr old and left the park feeling quite unhappy that I no longer enjoyed it.

I followed PH year on year seeing what happened and was excited about the new installation of Wipeout so decided to visit last year. I was pleasantly surprised. The lovely fascias down main street were really nice to see and the Tales of the Coast retheme was nice. Little things like the ride info signs around the park all being consistent, the benches and the coverings for the vending machines all make the place look great!

Wipeout is a fun ride although stuff like half the cars being out of use and no automatic release of the restraints was a little disappointing for me.

All in all I was really impressed with the park but there is still a lot that needs to be done: The end of the park where The Rattlesnake resides is looking desolate and a bit run down and needs desperate improvement in my opinion.

I like the OP's plan and can see those sorts of rides being a great addition the park. I would personally like to see another family coaster, the spinning coaster was a great idea, and a rapids ride.

There are also some things that just need an easy paint job or tidy to make them more aesthetically pleasing. For example the water slide looks awful with it's steel supports and fences looking like inner city jobs. Just a simple paint job or façade would improve it no end.

What happened to the original waveswinger? That little thing that sits where enterprise once was is terrible! One other thing would be the throughput on Enigma which needs sorting and to get rid of Thunderstruck which is a horrible ride, slow and boring.

Sorry for the long and slightly fragmented post.

Josh

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/10/09 7:05:35 PM

Welcome Josh (clever username, by the way).

I'm glad you enjoy the finer touches that Grevin put in place. It just goes to show they are doing something right, even if old grumps like me aren't excited!

I really liked the 2000-2004 period, and consider it the park's 2nd-best era. The best, obviously, is something like 1983-1992!

> What happened to the original waveswinger? That little
> thing that sits where enterprise once was is terrible!

I don't know, but you can still buy the good ones from Zierer. Paultons bought one last year.

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 3/11/09 12:09:55 PM

Gid, been quite a few posts since I was last on here! So this may be long, lol!

(The bold writing is quoted)

Enigma is neither here nor there. Not a 'giant' nor a family ride.

Engima is more of a family coaster IMO, and like I've said already, I would spend the money on sorting it out becuase I believe you can get a better coaster with the same footprint.

> I think, as a 'survival' package, Pleasurewood would be
> best to just go for the Rapids I suggested, then if all my
> ideas for the park were added, and the park became a bigger
> succes, they could then start doing bigger things, like
> adding one of these:

The thing is though, once it's there, it'll be there to stay.

Not if I was in charge :D But anyway, is keeping it such a bad thing? If they got one that was themed, like the one at WMSP, they look good and would last a long while, and not look like a portable ride.

I wonder if they'll ever get rid of Wipeout? I know it's silly, but that's where I'd love to put a Bobsled, as that's where we used to enjoy the Mouse.

God you are obssesed with your Bobsleds!lol

> Do you know if they've done much with the theming?

Well today (Tues) pieces still lay in the car park, some still with the yellow paint job.

Mmm, thats not promising. I want to no if the 're-furb' of this is actually confirmed, as I believe it could well be being removed?

The newer Reverchon log flumes are the ones with two parallel lifts and two parallel drops (one of which is a double drop).

Is them Wild River ones you see popping up every where?

I suppose Josh, as you haven't been since 2000, the park is better, but IMO its gone a bit down hill lately. The park was a a bit of a dump back in 2000, so anything is an improvement really.

Like you say about the little coverings for the drink machines, they're the litle touches that I like, to me, its the small things that count, and IMO PWH is a really nice looking park, with nice scenery and water features.

One other idea I would do if I was in charge, I'd get one of them nice big traditional Waveswingers and place it in front of Wipeout. A family ride like that in that place would fit like a glove!

Oh josh, someone has made an fans website for Pleasurewood: www.unofficialpleasurewood.co.uk

No forum on there as of yet though.

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by khanage at 3/11/09 12:50:36 PM

Thanks Charlie, I frequent that site quite a bit and you will notice my name crop up on there on some pages! It's a nice little fan site though.

As for the log flume I had a thought that maybe they might be relocating it to a different area of the park? It's unlikely but it could make the end of the park near Snake in the Grass a little more exciting.

Josh

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/11/09 6:47:57 PM

Martyn:
> Is them Wild River ones you see popping up every where?

Yeah, lots of seasides have them, like Bottons at Skegness and some on the south coast.

> I suppose Josh, as you haven't been since 2000, the park is
> better, but IMO its gone a bit down hill lately. The park
> was a a bit of a dump back in 2000, so anything is an
> improvement really.

From my point of view, it was Peter Hadden who removed the tacky rides, like the petrol-driven things. The rides he bought may have been portable, but they were top class.

> Like you say about the little coverings for the drink
> machines, they're the litle touches that I like, to me, its
> the small things that count, and IMO PWH is a really nice
> looking park, with nice scenery and water features.

Indeed. I'd hate to see the whole park feel like a Tussauds park. Red County should remain the only built-up area, in my opinion.

> One other idea I would do if I was in charge, I'd get one
> of them nice big traditional Waveswingers and place it in
> front of Wipeout. A family ride like that in that place
> would fit like a glove!

Yeah, I always liked the rides with the big canopies, like the Wavesinger and Carousel. I also liked all the tents (like the Hungry Bear Pavillion) around Pleasurewood.

Josh:
> As for the log flume I had a thought that maybe they might
> be relocating it to a different area of the park? It's
> unlikely but it could make the end of the park near Snake
> in the Grass a little more exciting.

Good thinking. That's an area near the housing estate and, as it's a water ride, it would make less noise than a coaster. They could then build a coaster on the old Log Flume site.

Oh yeah, they really should reinstate Red County, Green County, Blue County and Orange County. I loved those!

By the way, how high does the Pirate Ship swing nowadays? last time I visited it seemed a bit feeble (although it did keep breaking down). When it's on form, it's easily one of the Top 5 rides!

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by leon leon Profile at 3/12/09 5:04:27 AM

Well this is all interesting stuff!

From my point of view the retheme of the log flume should be full (to the extent of new paint, themeing, tunnels etc), and the suggestion to move it seems good. Won't it have been where it is/was for about 17 years now?

About the pirate ship, I'm pretty sure the gear box failed a few years back, and ever since they've run it on a reduced setting. It is a very old Huss ride, but has done incredible so far. I remember the days where you used to actually come off it 'Swash buckled'.

If I was to have control of the park there are a few slight modifications I would make. The first being the insane amount of deadspace that 'pops up' around the park. The areas behind tidal wave, opposite thunderstruck, opposite the south end of the chairlift (rattlesnake area). It needs filling with decent thrilling rides, and maybe a few family flats. The dodgems is just a state, and that area could be extended out and along for a Maurer Sohne X-Car. I think one of those would be fantastic in that area.

Another addition I would make is the return of themed 'zones', like the count's sections before, but more close knit and have all of those rides in that relevant area themed to fit.

I also think that the park could do with an update to shows. How old is the sealion show now? Yes, it is still quite good to watch, but I think the novelty has worn off now. The 'aqua theatre' is in horrific condition - those faded lime green chairs!

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/12/09 10:47:31 AM

> Well this is all interesting stuff!

> From my point of view the retheme of the log flume should
> be full (to the extent of new paint, themeing, tunnels
> etc), and the suggestion to move it seems good. Won't it
> have been where it is/was for about 17 years now?

Yes, I think they got it circa 1992, didn't they?

> About the pirate ship, I'm pretty sure the gear box failed
> a few years back, and ever since they've run it on a
> reduced setting. It is a very old Huss ride, but has done
> incredible so far. I remember the days where you used to
> actually come off it 'Swash buckled'.

Thanks leon.

> I also think that the park could do with an update to
> shows. How old is the sealion show now? Yes, it is still
> quite good to watch, but I think the novelty has worn off
> now. The 'aqua theatre' is in horrific condition - those
> faded lime green chairs!

I agree, but there's an ethical problem there - you'd have to find a good home for the sealions, if they could even cope with the move.

OK, here's my semi-formal plan!

Green County
* New gearbox for Pirate Ship! Top class rides deserve full maintenance!

* Log Flume completely removed.

* GCI/Gravity Group woodie on the Log Flume/Fireball site (Fireball can be moved). A while ago I would only have said GCI, but I've just read that Gravity Group are also manufacturing their own single-row trains. The woodie would be 60-80ft, smooth and Pleasurewood's "ultimate" coaster.

Red County
* Tales of the Coast rethemed to "jolly" scenes of small-scale sailors, smugglers and other seafaring types in taverns, along the coast and at sea. The aim of the retheme and smaller animatronics is to make it far less scary for youngsters. Imagine scenes of them playing the accordian, that sort of thing.

* Miniature fairground reinstated!

* Veteran cars given a new, fantasy theme.

* Fort rebuilt and something interesting put in it.

Blue County
* Two tube slides added to Tidalwave (like Snake River falls at Oakwood).

* Blue County is traditionally a good area for thrilling flat rides. Troika and Enterprise were here, so this would be a good place for Fireball if the woodie displaces it.

Orange County
* Wipeout removed.

* Gerstlauer Bobsled put on Wipeout site. Mirror-image of Cobra or custom design thatis bigger with even more airtime. Themed to a barn.

* ABC River Splash on the Land of the Dinosaurs site. Based on the Bayern Park version.

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by khanage at 3/12/09 7:01:17 PM

Some really nice ideas there Graeme.

As for the Pirate Ship, it is in a dire state right now. Pirate Ships are really great fun but Shiver m' Timbers takes an eternity to reach full height. You don't really realise this until you ride a fully functional model (I went on one at Port Aventura and I was astounded at the speed it got to full height). This would surely be a very slow throughput on a busy day.

I went to Pleasurewood Hills on a fairly quiet day last year and although the queue was very short another problem for throughput is Enigma. It took ages to get on the ride and it was such a short queue but I really don't think there is anything they could do about that.

Does anyone remember the old soundbite that Enigma had when it first opened as the Canonball Express in 1995(?)? I think it went something like "Welcome aboard the Canonball Express, please keep your arms and feet inside the carriage at all times" in a crazy American western type accent. No real point to this but was just reminiscing.

I think there are some really tired rides in the park at the moment one of which is Thunderstruck. It really needs to be repleced with something far more exciting (and less rickety). Wasn't there once a drop tower there? That would be good to see in it's place.

Another point before I stop my ramblings...why is the lake no longer used? The pedal boats were ideal for that setting and it would surely be inexpensive to bring something similar back.

Josh

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 3/13/09 12:43:25 PM

Yes Thunderstruck is a very tired ride, and an unbelieveable replacment for Mega Drop, but apprently too many mechanical faults with Mega Drop.

The whole Enigma thing is quite odd really, they spent all that money on it when they first took over, but yet they dont want to spend the money on getting the breaks sorted, so they can run more than one train.

I thought of something earlier, I really think the Log Flume could be being moved, or removed. Why move parts of it to the car park? A refurb could surely be done around where the ride is, I dont see much need on moving it as far as they did.

But I dont think it will be removed, on the basis that my god, there would be even less to do there!

And Log Flumes are fantastic attractions that everyone likes. If it is being re-furbed, then I think they will do a good job of it. They done a brilliant job with Wipeout, and the general image of the park when they first took charge, including the refurb of all the restraunts and the Main Street, so I have high hopes that they'll do a good job.

But then I also hope it doesn't get moved, IMO that area of the park has such a perfect balance of attractions, and its a really nice looking area of the park, the only thing that needs to be done around there is replacing Thunderstruck. And I's also like to see the old Crazy Golf re-installed.

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/13/09 12:48:33 PM

> As for the Pirate Ship, it is in a dire state right now.
> Pirate Ships are really great fun but Shiver m' Timbers
> takes an eternity to reach full height. You don't really
> realise this until you ride a fully functional model (I
> went on one at Port Aventura and I was astounded at the
> speed it got to full height). This would surely be a very
> slow throughput on a busy day.

Oh yes, Huss Pirate Ships are amazing. I've ridden great ones at Pleasurewood, Chessington, Alton Towers, Margate, Folkestone, Southport and probably more that I've forgotten! Still one of the best rides when operated to the max.

> Does anyone remember the old soundbite that Enigma had when
> it first opened as the Canonball Express in 1995(?)? I
> think it went something like "Welcome aboard the
> Canonball Express, please keep your arms and feet inside
> the carriage at all times" in a crazy American western
> type accent. No real point to this but was just
> reminiscing.

I don't remember it strongly, but I probably heard it, as I remember when it was new. I was watching TV one day and I suddenly saw Noel Edmonds riding it! Very exciting when you find out about a new coaster at Pleasurewood like that.

Same happened in 2000. I was watching the local news and then there was Peter Hadden revealing Magic Mouse!

PS - Yes, Cannonball was 1995. For all coaster facts, there's a superb site called RCDB:

RCDB

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by khanage at 3/14/09 6:53:32 PM

Just to let you guys know that Unofficial Pleasurewood have now got there own message board

Josh

http://www.unofficialpleasurewood.co.uk/board.htm

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by leon leon Profile at 3/16/09 12:52:01 PM

Discussion is starting over there! lol.

A new pic has appeared showing what looks like extra track?

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 3/18/09 12:13:23 PM

Graema, have you ridden the Huss Pirate Ship at Bottons in Skegness?

You have not ridden a Pirate Ship until you have ridden Bottons'! Trust me!

Re: C'mon Pleasurewood, sort it out! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/19/09 10:05:02 AM

leon:
> A new pic has appeared showing what looks like extra track?

If it really is an extension, I'm impressed!

Martyn:
> Graema, have you ridden the Huss Pirate Ship at Bottons in
> Skegness?

> You have not ridden a Pirate Ship until you have ridden
> Bottons'! Trust me!

In all honesty, I can't remember. I had a couple of goes on Storm and I saw the Pirate Ship. It's not like me to pass up a Pirate Ship, but I just can't remember if I rode it or not.

I will next time though!