Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Question: Is a steel or wooden coaster harder on your body

Question: Is a steel or wooden coaster harder on your body

coasterman22

Posted:
2/21/09 at
3:00:37 PM

Views: 934

Hello,

My name is Kirk VanHousen and my son Jeremiah is doing a project for school that we would like your input on. If you could please consider the following questions and email your responses to coasterman22@gmail.com. Thank you for your help.

1. In your opinion, does a wooden rollercoaster or a steel roller coaster affect your body more?

2. Of the roller coasters listed below that you have ridden, please rank the three that had the biggest affect on your body.

A. Kingda Ka -- Jackson, NJ

B. Top Thrill Dragster -- Sandusky, OH

C. Dodonpa -- Japan

D. Superman the Escape -- Valencia, CA

E Son of Beast -- Kings Mill, OH

F. Colossus -- Germany

G. Hades -- Wisconsin Dells, WI

H. El Toro -- Jackson, NJ

3. If there is a coaster not listed that you believe was unusually hard on your body please give us the name and where it is located.

4. Any other information or resources that you think would help my son please let us know.

Re: Question: Is a steel or wooden coaster harder on your bo by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 2/21/09 5:36:48 PM

In my opinion, Wooden coasters have had the hardest affect on my body. The main one is not in your list and that is Grand National at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. That ride physically hurts your body through it's amazing air time. A steel coaster cannot come close to that.

Chris.

Re: Question: Is a steel or wooden coaster harder on your bo by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/21/09 6:11:56 PM

> My name is Kirk VanHousen and my son Jeremiah is doing a
> project for school that we would like your input on. If you
> could please consider the following questions and email
> your responses to 1. In your opinion, does a wooden
> rollercoaster or a steel roller coaster affect your body
> more?

Steel coasters are worse if there's a bad jolt. Wooden coasters are more smooth-flowing and natural as long as a) the profile is perfect in the first place and b) it's well-maintained.

Steel coasters also tend to have higher G-forces and give me headaches more.

> 2. Of the roller coasters listed below that you have
> ridden, please rank the three that had the biggest affect
> on your body.

Sorry, not ridden them.

> 3. If there is a coaster not listed that you believe was
> unusually hard on your body please give us the name and
> where it is located.

Grand National, Blackpool (hurts your back)
Klondike, Hayling Island (TERRIBLE on the neck - I couldn't move my neck all night and it hurt for days)

> 4. Any other information or resources that you think would
> help my son please let us know.

Steel coasters are made by joining separate pieces of track together. If designed well, they are extremely smooth.

Wooden coasters have no "set" pieces. Any part can be altered slightly and fine-tuned. Think of steel coasters as digital information (like a CD) and wooden coasters as analogue (like a vinyl record).

Re: Question: Is a steel or wooden coaster harder on your bo by SJBrown at 2/22/09 6:54:26 AM

For me I find that Wooden Coasters have a bigger effect on my whole body where as Steel Coasters have a big impact on my neck.

Toughest wooden I have ridden is Gwazi at Busch Gardens Africa in Tampa FL. come off that feeling like I had gone 10 rounds with Lennox Lewis.

Colossus at Thorpe Park was so tough on my neck could not move it properly for a few days after.