Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > DLP: Out and Back 4 of 6

DLP: Out and Back 4 of 6

d_n_s_u

Posted:
1/25/09 at
3:06:58 PM

Views: 715

It was cold at Disneyland Paris.

Strange really because there was no wind to speak of - It was all very still.

If I had to describe the biting cold I would use the word razorblade somewhere in there.

The still cold made my back ache.

Go figure.

I suppose it was through all the shivering I was doing as Ann and Isabel and I stopped to button up coats, adjust scarves, fumble for tickets etc.

And yet the sun shone.

I noticed that the Disney Cast standing at the entrances to rides were forever hopping from one foot to the other, wrapped inside the warmth of their Disney winter coats.

Heaters were evident.

Good.

They were required.

Yes..sunny but very, very cold.

This describes the weather at DLP for the 4 days we were there at Halloween 2008 to a tee.

The atmosphere wasn't cold though.

Far from it.

The more I visit this park the more I appreciate it and the warmer I feel towards it.

It's a state of mind.

Besides, a good 80% of the attractions are under cover.

We decided on a hotel splurge because we could at the time.

Believe me the welcoming warmth and opulance of the Disneyland Hotel was very welcome after a day in the park..and just several steps from the exit turnstiles.

I love this hotel but still not sure if it is worth the extra (extra) Euros.

I like the fact that there is wallpaper in the lifts.

I like the plush carpets with things Disney embroided on them.

I like the people who work so hard cleaning rooms smiling and bidding you "bonjour" each time you pass them on the long corridors.

I like the wallpaper in the rooms with things Disney on them.

I like the turndown service and the grand stairway in the foyer.

I like what appear to be large brass birdcages dotted around the hotel and the prints of the park hung on the walls.

Even though nothing is real I always want to have the feeling that this is the real world.

The staff work hard. The staff that take orders for your drinks and walk back and forth in The Fantasia Bar somehow manage to retain a smile as they step over kids laughing and screaming and rolling about on the carpet in front of them whist the parents of these children, backs turned, seemed to ignore them and concentrate on their Irish Coffees..

It is a childrens' destination after all..

..Isn't it?

I like the public telephone wrapped up inside a British Red Phone Box on the first floor and I like the luxury toilets with their marble and I like the views from the windows and I like the fact that you don't have to walk far to the entrance of the park in the morning..but I'm still not convinced about the extra Euros...I don't like my Mastercard bill whenever I return. :-)

Eating is ridiculously expensive, and now the Euro almost equates to the pound the prices are 18 certificate.

Ann, Isabel and I ordered 3 separate meals at The Rainforest Cafe there. In addition to the main meals I had 2 beers, Isabel had 2 Cokes, Ann had a non alcoholic cocktail and a coffee.

The bill came to nearly 90 Euros with tip!!!

We had the chance to attend "Mickey's not so scary Halloween Party" (51 Euros for the three of us) and we went for it.

Didn't try the full on scary one on account of sampling such delights at Spain's PortAventura 5 years back and me being chased by a chain saw weilding mummy. (That's another post though)

The 51 Euros was worth paying for the simple fact that between 7 - 11 pm all the rides that were open were walk on!!

Wristbands were issued to ticket holders as the park closed early one night.

If you can imagine that there are sometimes queues of 90 mins for a 2 min trip on Peter Pan's Flight and it was walk on on this special occasion then you can begin to get the picture! :-)

It was worth the money.

I want to plug a great kids' powered coaster: Casey Jr. is a powered Vekoma that opened in 1994 and comes complete with onboard music..

Based on the 1941 Dumbo animated film its French name "Le Petit Train du Cirque" means "The Little Circus Train".

There are even two seats that face backwards for all the brave kids out there. :-)

This ride is just good fun..What Disney does best..Great ride!

Speakers under the seats blurt out " "I think I can, I think I can" as the train pulls up a small incline at the beginning.

This soon gives way to a song which includes the lines:

"Casey Jr.'s Back with a smokey stack..with a smokey stack.."

You have to be there.

Loved it and managed 4 repeat rides after each other on this magical night when usually you would be lucky to get one every hour on it usually.

Ok..not everyone's cup of tea but I prefer this ride to Goofy's Barnstormer at DWF and it is a coaster after all.

The entertaining night brought with it lots of people on stilts, sweets given away by jugglers, dancing, people claiming to have a wristband but being turned away by very stringent staff, roped off areas, a velvety dark night sky lit up by fireworks, hot chocoalte wrapped around clasped hands, Gingerbread men for sale and very, very chilly weather.

Have I mentioned the weather already?

Re: DLP: Out and Back 4 of 6 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/25/09 4:01:35 PM

> I like the public telephone wrapped up inside a British Red
> Phone Box on the first floor and I like the luxury toilets
> with their marble

I've often fantasised about the great toilets I'd have if I had a theme park/hotel. They'd have lots of marble and subdued lighting.

> Eating is ridiculously expensive, and now the Euro almost
> equates to the pound the prices are 18 certificate.

> The bill came to nearly 90 Euros with tip!!!

£90? Sorry, I wouldn't give that a certificate at all, even with cuts. ;)

> Didn't try the full on scary one on account of sampling
> such delights at Spain's PortAventura 5 years back and me
> being chased by a chain saw weilding mummy. (That's another
> post though)

And it is etched in my mind!