Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Phantasialand In The Snow

Phantasialand In The Snow

the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile

Posted:
1/20/09 at
5:43:29 AM

Views: 985

Photobucket

Ahh it's that time of year, the aged old equation, we need to go somewhere for Jai's birthday but it's January oh what to do? . . chances are the answer lays encased in two warehouse units just east of Eindhoven but more of that later

After a no frills flight we land in Eindhoven we noticed that the weather contained a lot more snow than at home, we collect the hire car after digging a channel through the ice, we take the hour and half-ish drive to Phantasialand

I'm used to driving my tiny Peugeot at home, so trying to manoeuvre a soccer mom sized car in a tight theme park carpark which is coated in a thick ice crust filled with hazards such a people opening doors, gathering around their vehicles and children frolicking in the snow is a scenario which could only end in death, fortunately the outcome was less severe than my heartattack panic, the attendant told me my parking was crap and asked me to straighten up, ha my driving isn't even straight!

Photobucket

Weather permitting all the rides with the exception of the rapids can be open for Phantys winter event, plus there are extra distractions like snow tubing and a extraordinary nuns on ice show, it was snow pride (what a coincidence) on our visit so there were a few queens braving the artic conditions making the whole joint a whole lot more fabulous

Ok the temperature is minus 11, so we're greeted with the news that all the rides are closed! Fair enough considering the weather, so we pay the €25.50 and enter the park through a side entrance adjoining the Ling Bao hotel

After hugging a wandering snowman and mrs snowman, we entered Feng Ju Palace interesting theme for a madhouse, the pre-show goes on a bit but good that the show doesn't rely on talking so it can be universally (mis)understood to what the hell is happening

Photobucket

Silver Mine next a hunky chunky industrial sized omni-mover style dark ride, a bit dated but ok, 2 things to be thankful for at the time it was inside and open. Gondelbahn the suspended dark ride, Carousel, Ferris Wheel, Pirates 4D and Race to Atlantis (an affordable version of back to the future/simpsons for real parks) were running and of course Wuze Town which had heating, oh it was wonderful to get out of the cold

Winjas are great coasters, Fear was running very fast, I prefer this to force now, it was a wise investment on Phantasialand's part to build something that could fully operate whatever the weather, have 2 very distinctive rides in 1 coaster to make it re-rideable and Tittle Tattle Tree is lots of fun and ices the cake

Temple of the Nighthawk was open although the lazer effects were switched off, the layout of this coaster seems quite similar to the default vekoma mine coaster, which I haven't noticed before

Photobucket

Upstairs in the main street area was a slide the tray along and collect your food type of restaurant although slightly posh, it was great to have indoor seating, most of the food outlets are takeaway units with a small outdoor/ covered seating sections which aren't much use in these temperatures, although you are warmed by the entertaining antics of the characters, the dragon loved us, and stalked us for most of the day, for me was worth the admission fee alone

Colorado Adventure started running, one train, which only the front and back sections of the train opened, gradually the sandbags were removed and eventually the full train was open. A family coaster with balls, none of the softy softy gentle lark, this is a fast, thrilling adventure for everyone, superb

Mystery Caaaaaaaaaaasal! also opened up, woooooosh! i love that ride

Photobucket

The park had a great attitude considering the weather, they made a visible effort to try and get everything running, which was great to see, only the Log Flumes, Talocan and Black Mamba failed to open which is understandable

I really enjoyed Phantasialand in the snow, the park has a great collection of rides which take you on some whacky adventures, while the themeing isn't as glossy as the megabuck parks you have to admire their efforts for creating some truly immersive experiences

HighExtreme

Re: Phantasialand In The Snow by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/22/09 10:45:19 AM

> Ahh it's that time of year, the aged old equation, we
> need to go somewhere for Jai's birthday but it's January oh
> what to do? . . chances are the answer lays encased in two
> warehouse units just east of Eindhoven but more of that
> later

Toverland?

I look forwards to Jai's birthday outings. I almost feel I know him!

> the attendant told
> me my parking was crap and asked me to straighten up, ha my
> driving isn't even straight!

LOL!

> Weather permitting all the rides with the exception of
> the rapids can be open for Phantys winter event, plus there
> are extra distractions like snow tubing and a extraordinary
> nuns on ice show, it was snow pride (what a coincidence) on
> our visit so there were a few queens braving the artic
> conditions making the whole joint a whole lot more fabulous

LMAO!

The snow tubing looks really good, by the way.

> the pre-show goes on a bit but good that the show doesn't
> rely on talking so it can be universally (mis)understood to
> what the hell is happening

A lovely turn of phrase!

Very funny TR, Stu, and gorgeous pics. I forget Phantasialand has all these coasters: Black Mamba, Winjas, Colorado Adventure etc...