Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Wooden Props

Wooden Props

the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile

Posted:
12/28/08 at
10:45:28 AM

Views: 3208

Photobucket

The frankly scandalous decision to leave Blackpool's roller coaster to rot next season has got me thinking, there are some fantastic wooden gems out in parks out there which aren't quite the signature rides, hiding in corners, lurking in the shadows these unsung heroes don't get the fuss or attention they deserve despite the fact they are more than capable of been one of the park's major coasters

Photobucket

Roller Coaster - Blackpool Pleasure Beach
overshadowed by the dipper and national, roller coaster has some wonderful airtime and the fast swooping drop along side king cottons is a real highlight. This is a more intermediate ride, with its more genital nature than the other woodies at the park, a nice step up from Zipper Dipper

Photobucket

Thunderbolt - Six Flags New England
before i visited SFNE i had no idea this coaster even existed, i'd heard lots of their cyclone, of course superman ride of steel is highly rated and rightly so, but there's plenty of air and classic charm here too

Photobucket

Skyliner - Lakemont Park
home to Leap The Dips the oldest operating coaster ever is perhaps more well known than the actual park, relocated here in 1987 i'm grateful this zippy 60s double out n back was saved , Skyliner is a rather honest woodie which boarders a baseball stadium

Photobucket

Wild One - Six Flags America
Another unsung relocation effort, this giant way out and back is chocked full of airtime and climaxes with a fantastic unbanked helix, since the flags flew over the park the attension is on the lim bowl, flying dutchman, intamin mega coasters and an early gci twister

http://www.highextreme.co.uk

Re: Wooden Props by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/31/08 3:07:00 PM

Lovely pics.

You're right, I'd heard of Wild One and Skyliner, but didn't realise what parks they were in. I dare say Skyliner is better than Leap the Dips?

I've learnt about Thunderbolt in the past few years, but it definitely was a "Wow, they've got another big woodie!" moment. Since I read about it in 1994-ish (thanks to the book: "White Knuckle Ride"), I've always associated Riverside Park with the Riverside Cyclone.

Re: Wooden Props by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/1/09 12:24:44 PM

I've heard Six Flags ruined Thunderbolt by shortening the first drop.

For me, even though I don't have the pics, or lovely layout like Stu, a much looked over coaster for me would have to be Kennywood's Racer. Much like the park's other two woodies, Racer is as unique as they get. It doesn't produce the insane laterals like Thunderbolt, nor does it have the air like Jack Rabbit(although T-Bolt delivered some good air), but was simply just a fun coaster. It sits in in my top five woodies, for purely the fun.

Re: Wooden Props by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 1/2/09 4:28:17 AM

^The lowered the first drop of the SFNE Cyclone and I can´t believe it ran any better before that. Cyclone is a really rough ride, bordering on the dangerously painful.

The first drop of Cyclone wasn´t all that big anyway as it ended in an upwards banked curve which would then lead into a bigger, second drop.
You can see the old track in the linked picture. The lower track in the turnaround marks how deep the first drop was before the modification:
http://rcdb.com/ig180.htm?picture=5

Oh, and Winged Beast: Is there something hidden you wanted us to tell with this Freudian playground of a sentence:
"...with its more GENITAL nature than the other WOODIES at the park, a nice step up from ZIPPER Dipper"
Just asking...
;)

* This Post Has Been Modified * User Submitted Picture

StellaVista

Re: Wooden Props by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 1/2/09 12:48:27 PM

> Oh, and Winged Beast: Is there something hidden you
> wanted us to tell with this Freudian playground of a
> sentence:
> "...with its more GENITAL nature than the other
> WOODIES at the park, a nice step up from ZIPPER
> Dipper"

oh dear god!!!!

what a cock up, i'm so embarrased, my one track mind really poking through there

Re: Wooden Props by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/2/09 1:58:24 PM

TrickTrack:
> Oh, and Winged Beast: Is there something hidden you
> wanted us to tell with this Freudian playground of a
> sentence:
> "...with its more GENITAL nature than the other
> WOODIES at the park, a nice step up from ZIPPER
> Dipper"

LMAO! Well, it does enter a very dark tunnel!

Winged Beast:
> what a cock up, i'm so embarrased, my one track mind really
> poking through there

I love how you've added at least two puns there! The funny thing is, I just typed "Winged breast", and it was 100% an accident!

Re: Wooden Props by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 1/2/09 2:32:12 PM

> I love how you've added at least two puns there! The funny
> thing is, I just typed "Winged breast", and it
> was 100% an accident!

Thanks for the kind offer Graeme there's no need for you to make a tit of me, i'm more than capable myself

> a much looked over coaster for me would have to be Kennywood's
> Racer

A good example Tim, personally i find Racer a little boring, but i reckon i'm on my own, the crowds seem to love it, it always has a long line

Re: Wooden Props by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/2/09 8:45:49 PM

I think for me it has that same appeal Gemini has, when the Point is running the trains on both tracks. Much like that, Racer has the rider interaction, and it was one of the more unique coasters I've ridden.

Re: Wooden Props by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 1/3/09 7:41:03 AM

> I think for me it has that same appeal Gemini has, when the
> Point is running the trains on both tracks. Much like that,
> Racer has the rider interaction, and it was one of the more
> unique coasters I've ridden.

hmm the kenny racer is ok, I guess we're spoiled over here with the nash,

I do love Gemini, kind of a racing mine train on crack, how tall are those lunges? great big stonking drops and lots of them, a fantastically fun ride

i never get why quite a few american parks don't run their racing coasters together

gemini - cedar point (occasionally syncs)
colossos - magic mountain
gwazi - busch gardens (defeats the point of the duelling aspect)

any more?

Re: Wooden Props by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/3/09 1:14:58 PM

> I think for me it has that same appeal Gemini has, when the
> Point is running the trains on both tracks. Much like that,
> Racer has the rider interaction, and it was one of the more
> unique coasters I've ridden.

> hmm the kenny racer is ok, I guess we're spoiled over here
> with the Nash.

You are spoiled with Nash. I mean, for starters, a double down for the first drop(s)? You can't go wrong there. I think Racer was the only Kennywood coaster with a double up or down...

> I do love Gemini, kind of a racing mine train on crack, how
> tall are those lunges? great big stonking drops and lots of
> them, a fantastically fun ride

First drop, I believe is between 118-125. Word of advice, sit in the back next time you're there. It has some amazing pull-over air. Oddly enough, if you look over on the American board of URC, alot of enthusiasts (not all) think Gemini is boring.

> I never get why quite a few american parks don't run their
> racing coasters together

> gemini - cedar point (occasionally syncs)
> colossos - magic mountain
> gwazi - busch gardens (defeats the point of the duelling
> aspect)

> any more?

Lightning Racer-HersheyPark(as far as I know).
American Eagle-(SFGrAm--I do believe.)
Racer-King's Island
Thunder Road (I believe it's called)-Carowinds.