Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > London and Merlin, 22/12/08

London and Merlin, 22/12/08

britcitchris britcitchris Profile

Posted:
12/22/08 at
5:43:57 PM

Views: 1055

So the family and I are presently away for xmas week and took a trip in to London, today. As we recently obtained Merlin Annual Passes, we thought we would do the London Eye and Madame Tussards whilst perusing the capital.

First up, the London Eye. It was my first time and I was very impressed. When we arrived at the ticket office, we showed them our passes and were told to go straight on! We completely missed out the long queue to get tickets and waltzed on. Fantastic! The experience itself was superb with great views (it was grey but the cloud base was high) and a very comfortable ride. A definite must.

We walked around Picadilly Circus, Pall Mall and up in to Knightsbridge and whilst nr Pall Mall, I spotted tv celeb Bob Mills. I remember him from his late night show 'In Bed With Medinner,' where he looked at tv clips and took the mick. He's not a high profile celeb but if you are interested in who I am yapping about, the link below will fill you in.

www.comedycv.co.uk/bobmills/index.htm

On our travels we visited Harrods. It's always an eye opener to visit this shop. There is so much to see and some very high prices. If you can forgive me for lowering the tone for a moment...if you have never used mega posh toilets before for free, I suggest you try them there. Quite something, I can tell you...

We glimpsed the Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park and it looked very large and inviting. If we have time before going home, we may go back and take a proper look.

Our last stop was Madame Tussards and again, our passes got us in without having to queue and this was much appreciated as my feet were now tired! Tussards have a wide variety of figures that vary in quality. Some look nothing like their counter parts whilst others will make you do a double take to make you see if they are real or not. Despite being busy, you can walk around everything in just over an half hour, So I was glad we had our passes and not paying on entrance. There is a ride inside called The Spirit Of London, where you sit in a London Cab and move around a history of London. It's very good and makes the visit more enjoyable. However, the cars hardly slow down for boarding/disembarking and this proved a problem for a lady in front of us. Overall, it's a good visit but rather short for my liking and it's very sad to see that the Planetarium is no longer open. However, if you have the Merlin Pass, it's more inviting to visit.

We had a fun day in the big city. Wherever we walked there was always someone cleaning/tidying in the street and staff in the shops and attractions were smiley and helpful. No mean feat, considering the time of year.

I'm sorry for the absence of photos but as I already mentioned, we are away from home. I hope all members of URC have a great xmas and happy new year.

Chris.

Re: London and Merlin, 22/12/08 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/27/08 9:31:57 AM

> We walked around Picadilly Circus, Pall Mall and up in to
> Knightsbridge and whilst nr Pall Mall, I spotted tv celeb
> Bob Mills. I remember him from his late night show 'In Bed
> With Medinner,' where he looked at tv clips and took the
> mick. He's not a high profile celeb but if you are
> interested in who I am yapping about, the link below will
> fill you in.

Yes, I remember him well. I too used to watch In Bed With Medinner. ITV used to seem so different before the digital age, especially the local TV (Anglia for us, Chris, of course), but perhaps I'm just being nostalgic.

I also used to watch Bob Mills' chat show, which had a behind-the-scenes "Larry Sanders" element. I remember him interviewing local celebrity "Animal" (the environmental protester).

> On our travels we visited Harrods. It's always an eye
> opener to visit this shop. There is so much to see and some
> very high prices. If you can forgive me for lowering the
> tone for a moment...if you have never used mega posh
> toilets before for free, I suggest you try them there.
> Quite something, I can tell you...

LOL, I have indeed done that. I think it's in all our psyches!

Glad you enjoyed the attractions, Chris, and got to skip the queue for the London Eye. I'm sorry, I've only been able to reply to this today, as I was so busy before Christmas, but I hope you and your family had a very good one.

Re: London and Merlin, 22/12/08 by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 12/27/08 3:03:52 PM

LOL, no need to aplogise for not replying quickly! It was kind of you to comment in the first place!

We had a lovely xmas thank you and return home on Sunday. I've been missing our creature comforts there and we resume work on the Monday. The kids got a Wii for xmas from their grand parents and that has been good fun for every one. I have enjoyed the most: No More Heroes, Super Mario Galaxy and Shaun White Snow Boarding. All very good indeed and show that the Wii can competently do decent games that aren't just 'party games'.

Have a happy new year but i'm sure I will speak to you in the virtual ether before then!

Take care.

Chris.

Re: London and Merlin, 22/12/08 by d_n_s_u at 12/27/08 5:55:18 PM

Chris..This family love The London Eye too and are looking forward to our annual jaunt down there in Feb.

I loved The Twilight Princess on Wii...Hated it on Gamecube...Gotta love that fishing section...

Have to go..In laws, daughter and wife are calling me over to keep fit on that plastic board that somehow knows your body mass and tells you off in the process..

...Hey..Who needs Theme Parks?? :-) :-(

Gary

BITSoftheBEACH

Re: London and Merlin, 22/12/08 by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 12/29/08 7:57:11 AM

LOL!!! Merry xmas, Gary.

Chris.

Re: London and Merlin, 22/12/08 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/31/08 3:10:02 PM

Chris, you've got good taste! Gary, I'm surprised you ended up loving one version of Twilight Princess.

Happy New Year everyone!

Re: London and Merlin, 22/12/08 by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/1/09 12:28:55 PM

Chris, I'm glad you a great time. Still, I will admit you won't catch me on the London Eye...I don't do wheels(obviously Witches Wheels are excluded).