Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > DLP: Out and Back 3 of 6

DLP: Out and Back 3 of 6

d_n_s_u

Posted:
12/14/08 at
6:00:02 AM

Views: 720

DLP's Frontierland is based on an imaginary Wild West town of the late 1800s called Thunder Messa.

If you look down at the pathways when you walk take time to notice the attention to detail. There are horseshoe inprints in the concrete as if some horse had walked by over wet concrete many years back.

There are authentic "ironmongery type" antiques on display dotted around this land...anvils and the like. Are these the real deal? They look like it to me.

"The Disney Imagineers have excelled themselves here, recreating the vastness of the American West to such an extent that, looking at the wild canyons and ochre-coloured sandstone monoliths, you will imagine yourself travelling through the Rocky Mountains." (Disneyland Resort Paris: Your Guide to the Magic)

Vekoma's custom Big Thunder Mountain at DLP remains to this day one of the most enjoyable coasters that I have ever had the pleasure to ride.

It knocks Florida's and California's Rides into oblivion. But then it would.

It was built at the turn of the 1990s and had technology advances on its side.

The train "leaves" the station and immediately plunges into darkness under the lake to the mountain beyond picking up speed as it goes.

The fog of noise surrounding you as you waited in the station for your turn to board is left behind in an instant.

The darkness. The gusts of air that momentarily take your breath away. The wanting to know what's next. This coaster's secrets unfold like a good story.

Disorientating. Exhilarating. Exciting.

The train suddenly hits the first lifthill.

The noise becomes deafening to the point whereby you may find yourself having to cover your ears. The track appears to move from side to side. There are some lights to your right. Insects flying around? Bats maybe..No time..daylight ahead and a sharp turn and then..and then..and then..brilliant ride.

With each bend and twist there is something to see. Be it a flooded mining town. A critter twirling 360 degrees around a branch. A fantastic view of the park seventy two feet below. A fantastic view of the twisting, turning track to the side of you and behind you and in front of you emerging from behind imagineering rocks.

More twists and turns. Bunny hops when you don't expect them.

And just when you think the ride may be over..Another lifthill!!

The ride time is several seconds short of 4 minutes!!

A water splash element come photo opportunity. It's all here!

Then darkness and speed (and I mean 40mph speed) back under the lake to the station.

Before the station however is the final brake run. Every time I experience this ride I observe the same reactions from riders.

Everyone taking the time to get their breaths back, smiles and turning to friends in the seats behind and clapping and talking more and enjoying.

And wanting more.

In Paris rain or Paris sun I am talking four thousand, nine hundred and twenty one feet and three inches of total coaster greatness here.

Re: DLP: Out and Back 3 of 6 by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/14/08 2:31:30 PM

Gary, does the Paris version have the earthquake lifthill like the Orlando version? I'm really jealous, because I loved the the Orlando version...well, it's the only one I've been on, but it's probably my favourite mine train styled coaster.

Re: DLP: Out and Back 3 of 6 by d_n_s_u at 12/14/08 3:14:53 PM

>Gary, does the Paris version have the earthquake lifthill like the Orlando version?

Yep it certainly does. The echoing noise is deafening inside the tunnel particularly as the train hits the lifthill.

I know this ride is very tame by many people's standards but it's one of those rides I will never tire of :-)

Re: DLP: Out and Back 3 of 6 by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/15/08 11:08:42 AM

> >Gary, does the Paris version have the earthquake
> lifthill like the Orlando version?

> Yep it certainly does. The echoing noise is deafening
> inside the tunnel particularly as the train hits the
> lifthill.

I'd like to know how they did that.

> I know this ride is very tame by many people's standards
> but it's one of those rides I will never tire of :-)

I agree, a coaster that definitely means biggest and fastest isn't always the best. This was my favourite coaster too of the Disney parks.

Re: DLP: Out and Back 3 of 6 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/15/08 4:10:18 PM

> There are authentic "ironmongery type" antiques
> on display dotted around this land...anvils and the like.
> Are these the real deal? They look like it to me.

It's probably one of those things it's affordable enough to buy the real deal, presumably because they were very common, like Roman coins and such!

> In Paris rain or Paris sun I am talking four thousand, nine
> hundred and twenty one feet and three inches of total
> coaster greatness here.

Ah, bliss! It sounds just my kind of ride. A long, non-looping coaster put into good context by theming and structure... you can't beat it.

Re: DLP: Out and Back 3 of 6 by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/15/08 8:34:06 PM

Grazza, to be honest, this would trump your number one coaster, if I am correct is Millennium Coaster. Words can not express the joy I felt on the Orlando version, and Gary's Paris version.

You need to roll your white bones over there, m'good sir.

Re: DLP: Out and Back 3 of 6 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/16/08 10:12:43 AM

> Grazza, to be honest, this would trump your number one
> coaster, if I am correct is Millennium Coaster. Words can
> not express the joy I felt on the Orlando version, and
> Gary's Paris version.

Well, I've got a few favourites:

The Vampire, Chessington (favourite Arrow)
Roller Coaster, Great Yarmouth (favourite woodie)
Megafobia (would be my favourite if I lived closer)
Millennium Coaster (favourite looper, favourite Vekoma)
Cobra (favourite mouse, favourite "modern" coaster)

Re: DLP: Out and Back 3 of 6 by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/16/08 12:38:14 PM

> Grazza, to be honest, this would trump your number one
> coaster, if I am correct is Millennium Coaster. Words can
> not express the joy I felt on the Orlando version, and
> Gary's Paris version.

> Well, I've got a few favourites:

> The Vampire, Chessington (favourite Arrow)
> Roller Coaster, Great Yarmouth (favourite woodie)
> Megafobia (would be my favourite if I lived closer)
> Millennium Coaster (favourite looper, favourite
> Vekoma)
> Cobra (favourite mouse, favourite "modern"
> coaster)

Well excuse me! :P

Re: DLP: Out and Back 3 of 6 by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/16/08 5:59:02 PM

I forgot to add that another Vekoma would be great for your list. :)