Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Mega-Lites From Other Manufacturers?

Mega-Lites From Other Manufacturers?

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
10/21/08 at
6:16:42 PM

Views: 749

To me, the Mega-Lite is one of the best types of coaster yet - smooth, thrilling and without loops or vertical drops. I never used to like hyper coasters because, to me, 200ft always looked excessive, but to shave half the height off sends their appeal through the roof.

At the moment, only Intamin have made 100ft mega coasters, but who else would you like to make them?

Gerstlauer
The masters of action. Cobra is so action-packed, the final three bunny hops alone put the last half of Air to shame. Imagine a (modified) 3-row Euro Fighter train without the OTSR, or perhaps three linked Bobsled cars tearing around a "Super Bobsled".

Vekoma
Tibidabo is opening a 100ft coaster from Vekoma next year that could arguably be called a mega-lite. Even without that, their pedigree with mine trains is solid and I know personally that Millennium Coaster is masterfully profiled.

B&M
I think a B&M mega-lite would need to be a little bit bigger (about 120ft total height), but wouldn't it be a joy to have a 4-row speedcoaster train smoothly gliding around a compact layout?

Re: Mega-Lites From Other Manufacturers? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/22/08 12:31:57 PM

> To me, the Mega-Lite is one of the best types of coaster
> yet - smooth, thrilling and without loops or vertical
> drops. I never used to like hyper coasters because, to me,
> 200ft always looked excessive, but to shave half the height
> off sends their appeal through the roof.

> At the moment, only Intamin have made 100ft mega coasters,
> but who else would you like to make them?

I make them in RCT2, and damned good too. lol!

> Gerstlauer
> The masters of action. Cobra is so action-packed, the final
> three bunny hops alone put the last half of Air to shame.
> Imagine a (modified) 3-row Euro Fighter train without the
> OTSR, or perhaps three linked Bobsled cars tearing around a
> "Super Bobsled".

Ahh, Gerstlauer, the Intamin/Schwarzkopf of the next generation, and why do I say that, they're trying new things with coasters, and in Anton spirit, they're keeping them compact. I can see them doing it in a few years.

> Vekoma
> Tibidabo is opening a 100ft coaster from Vekoma next year
> that could arguably be called a mega-lite. Even without
> that, their pedigree with mine trains is solid and I know
> personally that Millennium Coaster is masterfully profiled.

It's a mine coaster...sorry. If it had the required airtime hills and new trains, it could easily fit the bill, plus it would be the first terrain Mega Lite.

> B&M
> I think a B&M mega-lite would need to be a little bit
> bigger (about 120ft total height), but wouldn't it be a joy
> to have a 4-row speedcoaster train smoothly gliding around
> a compact layout?

Maybe one of the Disney parks would go with a Beemer, but that's a big maybe...plus they use that water splashdown for it too...again, something new to the Mega Lites...

That's my .02$