Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach Roller Coaster-Mini T.R. 12.10.08

Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach Roller Coaster-Mini T.R. 12.10.08

britcitchris britcitchris Profile

Posted:
10/13/08 at
9:53:39 AM

Views: 1148

Yesterday, my step son's rugby team played an away game on the outskirts of Yarmouth. After being asked to drive him and a friend there, I formulated a plan of popping by the pleasure beach afterwards and the three of us having a quick go on the Roller Coaster before going home. At the end of the match (an incredible 82 - 0 victory for my step son's team)I put forward my idea to the boys and this met with their approval. It was only a short drive from the rugby club and within 10 to 15 minutes, we were parked up next to the pleasure beach. Walking past the new big wheel, I noticed how impressive it was. It's certainly not huge but it is big enough and the cabins look very modern and stylish. However, the £6.50 ride fee is simply too much to tempt me.

The weather was grey but visibility was pretty good. The park was quiet with only a few people walking around. (This was around 1 pm.) All the rides looked operational. I had just the right change on me for the required three tokens each for the roller coaster and finding a nearby token machine, exchanged my cash. We walked straight on, the train already quite full. We sat between the middle and the rear of the train. Despite being nearly full, the operators still waited another 5 minutes before despatching us. Moving slowly through the indoor turn to the hill lift, I noticed the two other trains. I had never realised they had three trains until now. The lift provided a decent view despite the grey weather and all the drops of the ride were taken at a decent speed, providing lots of screams from some of the train's younger riders. Even the two small camel humps on the approach to the station were fun. On my past rides, the train was always much too slow by this point. Somehow, we had been gifted with a brake man who knew how to get the most from his train yet let the riders maintain a constant feeling of safety; a true expert on the stick. My step son and his friend both enjoyed the ride a lot and Roller Coaster stands testament to the fact; that you do not need high speed thrills of the steel variety to have a thrilling ride experience.

Roller Coaster is a classic woodie that provides fun to all ages and with the right person on the brake, it can be more thrilling than you realise. I have been riding this classic for nearly thirty years and hope that my two year old son will be able to enjoy it when he is older and like me, enjoy it for many years to come.

Thanks for reading.

Chris.

Re: Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach Roller Coaster-Mini T.R. 12.1 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/13/08 10:32:10 AM

> Walking past the new big wheel,
> I noticed how impressive it was. It's certainly not huge
> but it is big enough and the cabins look very modern and
> stylish. However, the £6.50 ride fee is simply too much to
> tempt me.

Interesting to know it's still there.

> I had
> just the right change on me for the required three tokens
> each for the roller coaster and finding a nearby token
> machine, exchanged my cash.

Three? So it was £1.50? Bargain!

> Moving slowly through the indoor turn to the hill lift, I
> noticed the two other trains. I had never realised they had
> three trains until now.

Oh yes, I love seeing the trains in there. I think they've got at least five!

> Even the two small
> camel humps on the approach to the station were fun. On my
> past rides, the train was always much too slow by this
> point.

Yes indeed. In fact, out of even the most thrilling rides I've had on the Roller Coaster, those final bunny hops have never been fast. You got a rare ride indeed!

> My step son and his friend both enjoyed the ride a
> lot and Roller Coaster stands testament to the fact; that
> you do not need high speed thrills of the steel variety to
> have a thrilling ride experience.

Chris, your TR has reminded me of why I like woodies so much - as well as being uniquely thrilling rides, they are architecture. Just look at the stations for Roller Coaster, Big Dipper and Grand National, and the way you travel through sections that have other functions (eg. under the lift hill on Big Dipper, through the storage shed for Roller Coaster).

I had a dream last night that I found an 80ft woodie on the pier at Weston Super Mare, which the enthusiast community didn't know about! In my dream I kept photographing the ride in case people didn't believe me!

I'm sure we all dream what we'd do with a lot of money, and with me, rather than build a theme or amusement park, I'd rather re-populate the UK's coastline with standalone woodies.

PS - Well done to your step son and his friend for the rugby, and I'm glad they enjoyed the Roller Coaster!

Re: Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach Roller Coaster-Mini T.R. 12.1 by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/13/08 11:37:24 AM

WOW! 82-0...is that a record in your stepson's league by any chance, Chris?

I know I've said it to Grazza, but Roller Coaster is definitely a must ride for me...actually again thanks to Graeme, there's quite a few Scenics I want to ride... jerk. lol!

All joking aside, I do love those section bits that you were talking about before the lift hill. From what I've seen, the UK has some of the most beautiful stations for their woodies.

Re: Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach Roller Coaster-Mini T.R. 12.1 by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 10/13/08 5:53:14 PM

> Walking past the new big wheel,
> I noticed how impressive it was. It's certainly not huge
> but it is big enough and the cabins look very modern and
> stylish. However, the £6.50 ride fee is simply too much to
> tempt me.

> Interesting to know it's still there.

Have heard through the grapevine that Yarmouth gets a bigger wheel, next season....

> Three? So it was £1.50? Bargain!

'fraid not. £1 per token. £3 a go.

> Oh yes, I love seeing the trains in there. I think they've
> got at least five!

Five? Surely they don't need (or can afford to maintain) five trains?

> Yes indeed. In fact, out of even the most thrilling rides
> I've had on the Roller Coaster, those final bunny hops have
> never been fast. You got a rare ride indeed!

Well they weren't fast if you see what I mean. But they were definitely faster than usual and fun. Normally the train just crawls over them.

> Chris, your TR has reminded me of why I like woodies so
> much - as well as being uniquely thrilling rides, they are
> architecture. Just look at the stations for Roller Coaster,
> Big Dipper and Grand National, and the way you travel
> through sections that have other functions (eg. under the
> lift hill on Big Dipper, through the storage shed for
> Roller Coaster).

Agreed, we do have some great ride architecture.

> I'm sure we all dream what we'd do with a lot of money, and
> with me, rather than build a theme or amusement park, I'd
> rather re-populate the UK's coastline with standalone
> woodies.

You know, that's not a bad idea. It would rejuvenate many places!

> PS - Well done to your step son and his friend for the
> rugby, and I'm glad they enjoyed the Roller Coaster!

Thx Graeme and Tim. I don't know if it's a record for the club but the score could of been even more had they handled the ball far better in the first half ;-)

Chris.

Re: Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach Roller Coaster-Mini T.R. 12.1 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/14/08 9:54:30 AM

Tim:
> All joking aside, I do love those section bits that you
> were talking about before the lift hill. From what I've
> seen, the UK has some of the most beautiful stations for
> their woodies.

Not forgetting Blue Streak at Cedar Point, which used to have a curved station. See, I know about your local ones too! ;)

Chris:
> Have heard through the grapevine that Yarmouth gets a
> bigger wheel, next season....

My word! Would this be at the Pleasure Beach or elsewhere? I've always thought this wheel looked like a permanent investment. Then again, there were the rumours of it only lasting two months. Maybe they built the foundations with a bigger replacement in mind?

> Five? Surely they don't need (or can afford to maintain)
> five trains?

Not nowadays, I'm afraid, but it's probably from the days when it was all pay-per-ride and bustling.

> You know, that's not a bad idea. It would rejuvenate many
> places!

Oh yes, I dream of Cyclones, Tornados and Giant Dippers all over the country!

Re: Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach Roller Coaster-Mini T.R. 12.1 by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 10/14/08 10:21:25 AM

Hi Graeme,

I am assuming that next year's will be in the same place, which is next door to the pleasure beach. I may be able to find out more and will keep you posted if i do.

Chris.

Re: Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach Roller Coaster-Mini T.R. 12.1 by d_n_s_u at 10/14/08 1:25:04 PM

> Oh yes, I dream of Cyclones, Tornados and Giant Dippers all
> over the country!

..and Maxibons :-)

Re: Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach Roller Coaster-Mini T.R. 12.1 by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/14/08 5:44:14 PM

> Tim:
> All joking aside, I do love those section bits that you
> were talking about before the lift hill. From what I've
> seen, the UK has some of the most beautiful stations for
> their woodies.

> Not forgetting Blue Streak at Cedar Point, which used to
> have a curved station. See, I know about your local ones
> too! ;)

Umm, you now know more than I do, because that I never knew. I knew in its heyday, it had a seperate loading and unloading platform, but they only use the unloading one now. Even then, on a busy day, they still run three trains, although now I can't think of when the last time I saw Blue Streak running three.

Re: Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach Roller Coaster-Mini T.R. 12.1 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/14/08 5:53:01 PM

>> Oh yes, I dream of Cyclones, Tornados and Giant Dippers all
>> over the country!

> ..and Maxibons :-)

PISTACHIO Maxibons!

After all, it's my wildest fantasy!

Re: Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach Roller Coaster-Mini T.R. 12.1 by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/14/08 9:09:44 PM

All you need is some Guinness and totties, Grazza. So who's buying me a Maxibon? lol!

Re: Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach Roller Coaster-Mini T.R. 12.1 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/15/08 5:35:34 PM

> All you need is some Guinness and totties, Grazza. So who's
> buying me a Maxibon? lol!

I would buy you a Maxibon, Tim. Not a pistachio one, unfortunately, as they don't exists!

I'd just like to add that when I make all these standalone coasters, they will be completely free for URCers.

Re: Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach Roller Coaster-Mini T.R. 12.1 by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/15/08 6:20:54 PM

Oh, do we URCers get stapled in as well? Or are we using a single lapbar...? If it is a single lap bar, I'll ride with you Grazza, as you're much taller than me, which means more air for Tim. :P

Re: Gt Yarmouth Pleasure Beach Roller Coaster-Mini T.R. 12.1 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/16/08 9:22:25 AM

> Oh, do we URCers get stapled in as well? Or are we using a
> single lapbar...? If it is a single lap bar, I'll ride with
> you Grazza, as you're much taller than me, which means more
> air for Tim. :P

Sorry Rex, where am I going to buy 2-man lap bars from? I'll ride with you and ask them not to staple you though!

PS - Half are going to be from GCI, the other half from Gravity Group. :)