Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Paying Extra To Police Your Sarnies

Paying Extra To Police Your Sarnies

britcitchris britcitchris Profile

Posted:
8/29/08 at
5:18:28 PM

Views: 833

So, my fave park in the uk: Pleasure Beach, Blackpool, have done it again. As well as having to accept the new admission charges for next year, the Pleasure Beach has just started banning people from taking in their own food. Yep, you read right. They are searching things as you go in and recently a woman had a carton of juice confiscated...Yes, you read that right, too.

Just what in the name of Thompson, is going on at the Pleasure Beach? Can they be that tight for cash that they now want to force people to eat on site? Other parks happily encourage people to bring in their own food and provide picnic areas. How are visitors going to react next season when the free admission goes along with the right to take your own sarnies? Not positively, that is for certain and this ludicrous scheme could well back fire and make things financially worse for the Pleasure Beach.

This is madness.

Chris.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Paying Extra To Police Your Sarnies by Graeme Graeme Profile at 8/30/08 9:26:01 AM

> So, my fave park in the uk: Pleasure Beach, Blackpool, have
> done it again. As well as having to accept the new
> admission charges for next year, the Pleasure Beach has
> just started banning people from taking in their own food.
> Yep, you read right. They are searching things as you go in
> and recently a woman had a carton of juice
> confiscated...Yes, you read that right, too.

That is absolutely scandalous.

Oh well, I accepted I wasn't going to visit the Pleasure Beach again when Amanda destroyed the Cyclone.

Re: Paying Extra To Police Your Sarnies by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 8/31/08 2:27:31 PM

Graeme,

It is indeed scandalous. The mrs and I are seriously considering not visiting the park when we next go to Blackpool. Normally she likes to go in to the town whilst the older kids and I hit the PB, then she joins us later in the park. Of course, next season, she will be unable to do this unless she pays a fiver to get in. Admittedly, she will get free goes on some basic rides but to be honest, she is not interested in that; just getting in and joining up with the rest of us.

And now the kids and I can't even take in a small bag with some sarnies and a drink! Absolute madness. I seriously fear for the well being of the PB at present.

Although not related to this topic, I'm also unhappy about the ride unreliability of Dipper, Nash and Valhalla. They have all given serious problems this season. (Dipper is closed in September for work to be carried out on the first drop.)

The PB is really extinguishing my cherished memories of the place. For shame.

Chris.

Re: Paying Extra To Police Your Sarnies by Graeme Graeme Profile at 8/31/08 5:18:08 PM

Yes, absolutely. Imagine if they actually confiscated a drink from you - I know I'd be genuinely offended. They're meant to welcome people, not insult them!

I believe it's a basic freedom we have to carry food and drink with us. Combined with the supposed entry fee starting next year, it really will destroy people's goodwill towards the park. That's an important thing, goodwill. It makes the difference between whether you want to go and spend money there or not. I could even see people refrain from visiting Blackpool if they don't feel goodwill towards the Pleasure Beach.

As you say, not all members of the family want to ride, so it seems perfectly reasonable to me if someone comes in to wait with the food. After all, their family will be spending money.

This is how we visit Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach - 75% of us go on the rides and 25% of us don't, which I think is perfectly reasonable. If there was an entry fee or a food ban, we'd just lose goodwill towards the place and not want to go in at all.

The people in charge of BPB don't seem to be in touch with how people visit seasides and seaside amusement parks. Entry fees and food bans are the antithesis of a day out at the seaside!

Not wishing to be sensationalist, I can honestly see the place closing within two years, which is strange, because they do seem to have made some real effort with the maintenance of some of the rides.

Re: Paying Extra To Police Your Sarnies by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 9/5/08 1:39:15 PM

Well Graeme,

It's official. I rang the PB this afternoon and asked about the food ban. I was told that no food at all is allowed to be brought on to the park, not even food for special diets.

I'm disgusted.

Chris.

Re: Paying Extra To Police Your Sarnies by Graeme Graeme Profile at 9/5/08 4:06:03 PM

> Well Graeme,

> It's official. I rang the PB this afternoon and asked about
> the food ban. I was told that no food at all is allowed to
> be brought on to the park, not even food for special diets.

> I'm disgusted.

> Chris.

Ock!

I must admit, I would have been slower to believe it if someone other than your good self brought us the news.

All I can say is this is out of sync with every other UK theme or amusement park (and long may it remain the exception).

Re: Paying Extra To Police Your Sarnies by Hurri Hurri Profile at 9/6/08 4:09:26 AM

Someone should take this story to The Sun. They'd love it.

Re: Paying Extra To Police Your Sarnies by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 9/6/08 6:31:48 AM

You know, Hurri, it's a tempting idea.

Chris.

Re: Paying Extra To Police Your Sarnies by SJBrown at 9/6/08 7:32:52 AM

I do think the entry fee will have a big impact on attendence. I usualy travel to Blackpool with four or 5 mates none of whom ride they do come down to the Pleasure Beach though and have a couple of beers and the odd go on the sideshows spending a lot more than a fiver. After telling them next year they would have to pay to get in they all said they would spend the 15-20 quid each they would have spent in a bar in town and I could go on my own. ok my group is not big but may well be indicative of other none riders.

I got back from a park in Europe yesterday and no issue of taking in crisps, chocolate, and drinks when bag was searched nothing was said and huge amount of people eating sandwiches they had taken with them. What with the current financial climate it maybe that the only way people can afford to go to the parks is to take picnics with them this could back fire big time on BPB.

Re: Paying Extra To Police Your Sarnies by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 9/6/08 7:39:09 AM

My sentiments exactly, Mr Brown.