Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen)

LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen)

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
7/23/08 at
9:32:12 AM

Views: 3971

I don't know who drew it, and obviously it's too good to really happen, but linked is a plan to a truly awesome coaster design!

Scroll down to the post at Mon July 21, 5.57pm. It's so enormous, it completely surrounds Oblivion, and seems to be a B&M Looper.

Seems to have:

1. Curving drop
2. Giant loop
3. Two massive turns
4. Cobra roll
5. Very wide, sweeping turn
6. Immelman
7. Zero G Roll
8. Tight turn (or dive loop?)
9. Loop
10. Zero G roll
11. Helix
12. Double corkscrew

So, 9 or 10 inversions!

I'm sure it's just a hoax along the lines of ThrillRide's "Wild Rumors", but it's certainly a coaster made of the right stuff!

Theme Park Review

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by leon leon Profile at 7/23/08 12:00:26 PM

Is there a larger image?

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 7/23/08 4:12:00 PM

B&M multi looper would be a great ride for Alton, id like a demon scale one, themed to an Ogre's Castle replacing spinball in a newly extended journey into the darker side of Storybook Land where trolls lurk under drawbridges and dragons guard their treasures deep in mysterious caves

> I don't know who drew it,

the same person who drew those 2010 concept boards ;) google "Liam" and "TowersTimes"

> it completely surrounds Oblivion

. . . where would i park my car?!!

> I'm sure it's just a hoax along the lines of ThrillRide's
> "Wild Rumors", but it's certainly a coaster made
> of the right stuff!

Strange that ive ended up married to the person who "made up" the gloomy wood booster bike and jazzland, two of the more convincing hoaxes over the years ;)

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/23/08 5:56:04 PM

> B&M multi looper would be a great ride for Alton, id like a
> demon scale one, themed to an Ogre's Castle replacing
> spinball in a newly extended journey into the darker side
> of Storybook Land where trolls lurk under drawbridges and
> dragons guard their treasures deep in mysterious caves

Oh yes!

> the same person who drew those 2010 concept boards ;)
> google "Liam" and "TowersTimes"

I bet you influenced him with the Tilt Coaster! ;)

> Strange that ive ended up married to the person who
> "made up" the gloomy wood booster bike and
> jazzland, two of the more convincing hoaxes over the years
> ;)

What, really?!!

The Booster Bike looked better than Rita! Jazzland wasn't my thing, but I'm amazed it wasn't real. I'm sure they were architect's plans?

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 7/23/08 6:06:07 PM

> I bet you influenced him with the Tilt Coaster! ;)

*Legally* i have had no influence or involvement with any fake plans!

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by leon leon Profile at 7/23/08 7:23:33 PM

It's not real unfortunatley.

:(
Oh well, nevermind. Onwards and upwards with the woodie.

Please?

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/24/08 7:45:12 AM

Beast:
> *Legally* i have had no influence or involvement with any
> fake plans!

What about illegally? ;)

leon:
> :(
> Oh well, nevermind. Onwards and upwards with the woodie.

> Please?

You're right. A few minutes ago a lightbulb just lit up in my head - this means the Ug Land coaster may still be a woodie!

(Unless Liam has figured out a way to fake John Wardley pointing at Corkscrew and having a widdle - I wouldn't be surprised!)

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/4/08 10:23:33 AM

It's official, Corky's on the way out...not me, the Alton coaster...bad joke I know... Could you guys get that B&M looper, or wood??

Stu, is your marriage one of convenience? ;)

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/4/08 11:12:35 AM

> It's official, Corky's on the way out...not me, the Alton
> coaster...bad joke I know... Could you guys get that B&M
> looper, or wood??

Yeah, I'm really pleased by this. My instinct was that it was true, and it is!

The linked video does prove they have plans for the site. I think Merlin are beyond the days of buying B&M (as well as Thorpe allegedly dropping plans for one, most political pundits expect the UK to enter an 18 month recession).

I predict it'll be a woodie or Euro Fighter, and I'd like a woodie or B&M.

YouTube

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Hurri Hurri Profile at 10/5/08 6:47:42 PM

The codename for Corky's replacement is SW6 - suggesting something VERY big and probably a UK first or even a world first..

http://www.towersalmanac.com/index.php?show_story=355

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/6/08 1:07:51 PM

> The codename for Corky's replacement is SW6 - suggesting
> something VERY big and probably a UK first or even a world
> first..

Ah, thank you, Hurri, that gives me tears of joy!

This changes everything. I do not believe a Gerstlauer Euro Fighter could be a "Secret Weapon".

I do think it could be a woodie, as they've been planning one for so long, it could be important enough to be an "SW".

And I hope I'm not being naive, but I now think B&M are back on the cards.

Exciting times!

PS - I bet they put the Corkscrew's corkscrews at the entrance of the park.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/6/08 2:06:22 PM

I'm excited about this! I do hope though, it's a woodie, the valley hyper, the Custom Vekoma Mine train ala Expedition Everest or even the B&M. I'd imagine they wouldn't make the Wingwalker a launched coaster... But the others sound more exciting...

Grazza, I hope that if it's a Beemer, you'll get your floorless.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 10/6/08 2:46:20 PM

This is the first time ive been excited about an Alton Towers ride since the construction of Air. Lets look at this thing with logic folks.

Stage 1 What has Alton already got.
Flyer
inverted
mine train
spinning wild mouse
dive machine
rocket coaster

Stage 2 Altons problems

Height
Ropers
English Heritage (would kick in if needed)
Trees
Maybe money

Stage 3 How to get speed

Launching
Droping into the valley
sink it into the landscape
dig a giant hole (with or without a tent)

Stage 4 Whats the cheapest

Launching

So the likely outcome is it may launch. Despite Rita also launching. Ive been saying it for ages that i think it will be another Bacu or my dream idea would be a Maverick clone. You guys will diasgree but im convinced this will be it.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/6/08 4:37:40 PM

> Stage 1 What has Alton already got.
> Flyer
> inverted
> mine train
> spinning wild mouse
> dive machine
> rocket coaster

That's right, and what they need is:

a) sitdown looper
b) airtime coaster (wood or steel)

> Stage 2 Altons problems

> Height
> Ropers
> English Heritage (would kick in if needed)
> Trees
> Maybe money

I do believe Ug Land is under a General Development Order, so planning restrictions shouldn't cause as much trouble as usual. Of course, they still have to keep it broadly in line with the trees.

> Stage 3 How to get speed

> Launching
> Droping into the valley
> sink it into the landscape
> dig a giant hole (with or without a tent)

Once one of my esteemed contacts told me to look left when I next went up Corkscrew's lift hill. I did so and, if I'm not mistaken, the ground does drop into something of a valley there. Not THE valley, of course, but I think with a 70ft height and large holes (30ft or more), we could have a 100ft+ coaster, which, of course, is plenty for a traditional woodie.

> So the likely outcome is it may launch. Despite Rita also
> launching. Ive been saying it for ages that i think it will
> be another Bacu or my dream idea would be a Maverick clone.
> You guys will diasgree but im convinced this will be it.

I do disagree, but I respect your guess!

A Maverick clone is highly unlikely as that type of ride needs to use electro-magnetic launches, as it has boosts during the ride, not just at the start.

Something like Furious Baco is a remote possility, but it's really just a rocket coaster with different trains, isn't it? Plus, I don't think I've heard one good review of it.

The other possibility is that it's a new type of coaster. Allegedly, B&M are to show something new at IAAPA next month... :)

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/6/08 5:14:48 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I have two quotes from Towers Almanac:

"the new roller coaster...will take around a year and a half to construct"

Which made me think "woodie". But then I saw Dan say...

"I should have mentioned in the news item by the way; it's almost certainly not going to be a woodie, sadly."

What kind of steelie would take 18 months to build??? Very exciting times!

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 10/6/08 5:30:13 PM

18 months could take that long from preparing the ground and if theres tunnels trees to remove etc. Dylan took a while with infiling of lakes etc. I doubt it will be a woodie or any b&m. I think its an intamin of some description. It will feature a launch as well. Outside chance a tilt coaster. If it is anything like a eurofighter i will be annoyed. I would rather a woodie at thorpe park.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/7/08 1:37:27 AM

I really hope it's not not a launched coaster, maybe the LIM lift hill like Maverick is fine, but call me old fashion, but I'd like to see a tradition lift hill. I think too the Euro Fighter might be a bit disappointed, but it's Alton, so they might pull out all the stops.

As for taking 18 months...who's to say they don't have most of the planning done, Maverick really didn't take long to build, it was the theming and what not... oh, there was the removing the inline twist. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for wood, hyper, or this new Beemer...

Oy, I'm starting to sound like Graeme. lol

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 10/7/08 8:08:54 AM

Greame seems to think that Maverick style coaster wont happen but i disagree. I looked long and hard on Intamin's site and looked at what they are likely to market. The reason is i would hate it if it was anything from Gerstauler or Vekoma. Dont want the woodie. A beamer posed a problem bacause they already have FLyer,dive,inverted. A sit down only good if theres a launch like Hulk. Speed/Hypers a dream but i doubt it. S&S i doubt them also as they have never used them for coasters and cant see any of theres compatable although a 4d would be the dream for me but i give up on that years ago. Woodie too many issues with noise etc. That leaves either new beamer concept or an intamin. For me the favorite would be an intamin. My biggest fear is booster bikes though.Gigas,megas,inverted,impulse,multi loopers dont see them building. I think that Baccu style coaster has all the marketing pluses. It can be themed easily and the cars would market well on maps and posters. This is my betting

1. Baccu style(fav)
2. New Beamer
3. Eurofighter
Outside Chance Maverick style and Intamin Vertical drop

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/7/08 11:39:19 AM

deeve:
> I would rather a woodie at thorpe park.

There's a small rumour that they are thinking of a woodie for the first new island in 2012 or so.

T-Rex:
> As for taking 18 months...who's to say they don't have most
> of the planning done, Maverick really didn't take long to
> build, it was the theming and what not... oh, there was the
> removing the inline twist. I'm keeping my fingers crossed
> for wood, hyper, or this new Beemer...

Or a Beemer hyper... Now I really am dreaming. ;)

deeve:
> The
> reason is i would hate it if it was anything from
> Gerstauler or Vekoma.

Agree. I like both Gerstlauer and Vekoma, but there's nothing I know of in either of their current catalogues that I think is suitable for an SW.

> A beamer posed
> a problem bacause they already have FLyer,dive,inverted. A
> sit down only good if theres a launch like Hulk.

I'd love a Floorless or Sitdown, personally. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if B&M are working on a new type of launch (or incorporating hydraulic launches into their designs). This could explain everything about IAAPA etc.

Just for fun, I'm going to say I'd like:

1. B&M Floorless/Sitdown
2. Woodie
3. New type of B&M

And my prediction is:

1. New type of B&M
2. Woodie
3. Euro Fighter

I'm enjoying hearing your ideas though, deeve.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 10/7/08 3:25:52 PM

Im sure everyone on here would agree that we would settle for an awesome woodie like el toro at Thorpe for a new world first at Alton Towers. A family woodie would annoy me something cronic and i would abandon Alton Towers for quite sometime. There are still unresolved issues of the Black Hole Tent as well. The worse ideas would be.

1. any gerstauler
2. any vekoma
3. family woodie
4. booster bikes

nothing against 1 or 2 but not in this case.
Zac spin from intamin dosent look likely as that dosent look like it will take 18 months to build even with theming. They not making many intamin suspended. Intamins mega lite maybe a possibility. This is gonna be an intersting 18 months thats for sure but im convinced its an intamin. But would like to see what this new beamer may be.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/7/08 5:02:07 PM

> Im sure everyone on here would agree that we would settle
> for an awesome woodie like el toro at Thorpe for a new
> world first at Alton Towers. A family woodie would annoy me
> something cronic and i would abandon Alton Towers for quite
> sometime.

I understand what you're saying - no family coaster would suit an SW, whether wood or steel. However, are there really many woodies that are family coasters? My idea of a family coaster is something that's about 50ft tall and not too steep - something like Cobra at Paultons.

If you look at Megafobia, the drops are far too steep for it to be considered a family coaster. Plus it's very big. The important point here is that Megafobia is the rule, not the exception. Most traditional woodies have steep drops, are about 60-100ft and are very thrilling.

I would call most woodies thrill coasters, but not white knuckle. Within this definition, I would agree that a Secret Weapon should be either "thrilling" or "white knuckle".

> Intamins
> mega lite maybe a possibility.

That's a very appealing ride I hadn't thought of.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 10/8/08 5:44:18 PM

I dread the thought of logging on to find out that Alton are building a vekoma or a eurofighter. Thorpes eurofighter does look intersting but that works for Thorpe. Alton needs something a bit on the special side. I did watch hours of footage of Bacu and the little pre launch show just had me thinking that something that Alton could adapt to a story similar to Hex and they may go for that. Im not convinced on Bacu i feel a launch with the rider sat on top of the track works better. Height drops too shallow air time looked limited. Of whats on offer intamins vertical lift coaster for me looks a nice option and there LSM launch. Theese would have me inside Alton Towers quicker than you can say Oblivion. Lets pray that no family coaster or booster bikes,eurofighter or vekoma's are considered or built.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/8/08 11:25:14 PM

I just thought of this, and it's more wishful thinking, but I'd like to see Alton get a coaster similar to the former Drachen Fire, except it would be floorless, and have the jojo roll out of the station.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 10/10/08 1:26:32 PM

I love b&m but i feel that Alton Towers with the restrictions has got the best of the type of coasters they offer. I feel that Intamins range can offer a great alternative. Rita is not ideal but it was a quick fix. Intamins vertical lift hill, LSM launch mega lite or wing rider launch would fit the bill. You could adapt them to that area of Alton Towers. They may have to use part of the valley and install into the landscape like with Nemesis but hey thats the fun of Alton Towers. I still think it will be an wing rider launch. But i prey for a Vertical lift hill or lSM launch.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/13/08 2:09:51 AM

Deeve, I normally would have said Intamin, and I suppose it was wishful dreaming about a Drachen Fire style coaster at Alton. But Intamin, for whatever coaster, would be the best bet.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/13/08 10:43:38 AM

If it was Intamin, the only thing that'd get me excited would be a woodie or Mega Lite.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/13/08 11:30:12 AM

> If it was Intamin, the only thing that'd get me excited
> would be a woodie or Mega Lite.

Nah, it has to be a terrain hyper... Intamin don't have one to their name yet... A fan-boy can dream. :P

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 10/22/08 5:45:38 PM

I had the most terrible thought today. With Thorpe naming there Eurofighter SAW The Ride then maybe Merlin may name SW6 from a movie. I hope they don't build Booster Bikes and call it Speed Racer. It could be marketed at families would tie in with Rita. Its not what i would want but the sort of thing that may happen. With theming and removal of Corky this could take 18 months to build. Its just a thought. The timescale as follows.

Nov-Dec Removal of corky
Jan 09 - Mar 09 Redirect of Rita que lines and re locate of Ug Swinger.
Apr 09 - Jul 09 Preparation of land.
Jul 09 - track arriving and final preapration for track instalation
Aug 09 - Oct 09 - Track instalation
Oct 09 - Dec 09 - Station and theming instaled
Jan 10 - Feb 10 - Theming finished quelines finished off Trains arriving testing starting
Mar 10 - Final preparations ready for openning

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/23/08 9:21:52 AM

I wouldn't worry about Booster Bikes, deeve. It turns out that plan for them in Gloomy Wood was fake, and I'm sure they wouldn't build something so similar to Rita anyway.

I've got nothing against a film theme, per sé, but I've never thought theming was as important as the actual ride technology. I prefer landscaping and general atmosphere to theming.

Of course, theming has its place, in dark rides, general park scenery and such, but I wouldn't say it necessarily enhances coasters.

Tim, I forgot about the Valley Coaster (A.K.A. the best coaster design ever!)

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/23/08 1:15:15 PM

Valley Coaster? Are we talking about the old proposal? The beauty with the giant double down AND double up?

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/23/08 5:34:13 PM

> Valley Coaster? Are we talking about the old proposal? The
> beauty with the giant double down AND double up?

Yes! It was incredible. I've never seen a terrain coaster sunk that much into the terrain. Ever.

Come to think of it, I thought the valley woodie was SW6. Under Alton's rules, remember, a ride can be an "SW" even if it's not built (SW1 and SW2 were two different designs of Arrow Pipeline coasters). If so, this forthcoming ride would be SW7!

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/24/08 11:56:36 AM

That's pretty much close to my dream terrain woodie...plus a certain Swiss company with their plug 'n' play woodies would be the cherry.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 10/25/08 3:11:41 AM

If we do get a tacky coaster like Speed Racer The Ride (Booster Bikes) then you heard it from me first. I hope we don't.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/15/08 4:30:48 PM

Apparently, a non-specific planning application (just for a "roller coaster") has been submitted, so we should find out what they're trying for soon!

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 12/15/08 4:42:37 PM

> Apparently, a non-specific planning application (just for a
> "roller coaster") has been submitted, so we
> should find out what they're trying for soon!

i think the thrill seekers will be dissapointed i guess this will be aimed firmly at families, to push the emphasis on the new family resort strategy much like Mammut at Gardaland

i'm guessing the station will be located on the corkscrew site and the ride will go off into the woodland behind Cred St and Thunder Rock Rally in an out n back layout, possibly similar to the one John Wardley used to have on his website

its funny how he made 2 woodies in RCT, 1 on the beast site which became the layout of air and 1 for ug land which may well become the new coaster yet neither of them were actually wood

HighExtreme

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/16/08 12:27:03 PM

> i think the thrill seekers will be dissapointed i guess
> this will be aimed firmly at families, to push the emphasis
> on the new family resort strategy much like Mammut at
> Gardaland

Sounds good to me. It's a shame we're no longer in the "B&M era", but times have changed so much. Not only has the UK theme park industry been going downhill for years (in my opinion), look at the state of the economy. It's unprecedented.

I went into Woolworths today, and couldn't quite believe it was closing down and getting rid of all its stock. It's also only just dawned on me that Woolworths will no longer be part of my trips to Clacton. I mean, I used to go in there every time.

> its funny how he made 2 woodies in RCT, 1 on the beast site
> which became the layout of air and 1 for ug land which may
> well become the new coaster yet neither of them were
> actually wood

Indeed. I remember the "Alton Beast" woodie very well (as you say, it's Air). I also remember seeing a few pics of the Ug Land woodie, although I don't remember it as well, because the RCT file would never work for me.

Another one I know off by heart is the Valley Woodie. I wonder if they'll ever make that in steel!

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/16/08 12:36:11 PM

If it's not going to be a woodie, or the valley terrain woodie done with steel, as Grazza said, I'd love to see something like Expedition Everest there. Definitely the most unique mine train I've ever been on.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/22/08 10:33:31 AM

Well, here's the plan. It looks rubbish - no longer than Rita:

SW6

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 12/22/08 11:16:26 AM

I cant believe it whats going on its so small. It might as well be the worlds first trackless coaster.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/23/08 9:51:00 AM

OK, I've had a think and I'm definitely looking forward to riding this. Let's look at the individual aspects:

1) Lift Hill and Drop.
It looks like it will be a straight drop, I'm guessing about 80ft, which is good news. At a guess, the turn that follows is a rising turn, rather than a high turn. This would start the next section with a nice height.

I've heard this section has a low airtime hill, which I never think work as well as a big, steep hill, to be honest.

2) The "Big" Section
This section has the potential to be great, with possibly two or even three big drops or hills. It's also the most likely section to use the terrain. It would be nice if the 2nd drop was bigger than the 1st, like all classic coasters. ;)

3) Return Trip.
Here, the coaster twists and turns as it moves through the trees. Going by the scale, I find it hard to imagine that any of these drops will be large, or use the terrain. However, they could still provide good airtime, like Cobra's return hills.

4) Helix
It's medium-sized, so there's a fair chance it will be fast and below ground-level. Could be a highlight.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 12/23/08 2:48:33 PM

The way the Alton Towers have been going on is that its going to be big and special. Its going to be small and compact with a world first. Haven't we been here before with Oblivion. Im all for getting rid of corky as it was a rough ride when i rode it in 2005 so in 2008 it must have been pretty bad. But i do respect the prestige of corky and it was the second inverted coaster i ever went on so a replacement needs to be good. I doubt they will go for vekomas new coaster as its to similar to Air. I reckon its going to be a intamin wing rider with 4d cars. Maybe with a break that allows the rider to decide the level of spin. With airtime hills will create an awesome ride.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 12/23/08 4:58:07 PM

Grazza, you're missing the switch backs. This could be an Everest-esque ride, which wouldn't be a bad thing. I quite enjoyed Everest, although I felt it was missing something.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 12/24/08 7:40:26 AM

If that is going to be the size of it then im not going to bother if its going to be like expedition everest. There are some new inovative designs out there that with a bit of adapting and theming will work well

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/24/08 6:10:43 PM

> Grazza, you're missing the switch backs. This could be an
> Everest-esque ride, which wouldn't be a bad thing. I quite
> enjoyed Everest, although I felt it was missing something.

Oh yes, it's clearly a reverser coaster. The reason I didn't mention the switchbacks is because it's unlikely they'll have much influence on the ride's profile, which is the main thing I'm trying to decipher.

The first switchback is indoors, so there could be a "yeti" moment. Certainly some theming, I imagine.

I'm looking forward to this coaster, but no matter how many times I look at the layout and scale, it's very difficult to see why this is an "SW" and Rita and Spinball weren't.

It looks about as major as the Thorpe Park Euro Fighter, no more, no less - ie. very compact layout but with a decent amount of elements. Neither seems better than the other, it's just a matter of taste which you prefer (I prefer this one).

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 12/30/08 1:40:30 PM

The so called plan being leaked to the european coaster club could be part of the marketing plan and it may not be the finished article. A world first does keep us all guessing as technology on coasters have come a long way since corky was installed. Tilt coaster was one rumour floating around. Vekoma installed gravity max in taiwan so the tilt element would not be a world first. B&M have been ruled out firmly and intamin probaly havent got anything up there sleeve that would suit the design if the design is what ECC published. Will we see maybe John Wardley work with a smaller company and a brand new custome design. I cant wait.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/31/08 2:43:40 PM

> A world first does keep us all
> guessing as technology on coasters have come a long way
> since corky was installed. Tilt coaster was one rumour
> floating around. Vekoma installed gravity max in taiwan so
> the tilt element would not be a world first.

If there really is a world's first, I'm going to guess it's the first reverser switchback coaster with vertical drops. One thing the overhead view doesn't show us is the steepness of the drops, so that could be one of the secrets.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/1/09 12:26:54 PM

Graeme, when you say vertical, we're talking Oblivion vertical? If not, Everest had one vertical drop, coming out of the mountain.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/1/09 4:20:54 PM

> Graeme, when you say vertical, we're talking Oblivion
> vertical? If not, Everest had one vertical drop, coming out
> of the mountain.

Yeah, vertical like Mr Freeze, something like that. I hope it's not, but it might be.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/1/09 11:08:37 PM

I would hope not either. Alton already has a vertical coaster.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/2/09 2:00:53 PM

> I would hope not either. Alton already has a vertical
> coaster.

Yeah, but so does Thorpe, and they're getting a 2nd.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 1/3/09 3:58:47 PM

Vertical drops and near vertical are common on allsorts of coaster designs. I dont see an expedition everest style coaster being that small even if it may go in reverse. I feel that theming and special effects will feature heavily and tilting elements maybe in the dark. I feel it may be a Vekoma manufactured coaster.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/4/09 1:15:28 AM

> Vertical drops and near vertical are common on allsorts of
> coaster designs. I dont see an expedition everest style
> coaster being that small even if it may go in reverse. I
> feel that theming and special effects will feature heavily
> and tilting elements maybe in the dark. I feel it may be a
> Vekoma manufactured coaster.

What if they combined the Tilt Coaster and the Everest style reverser? That would be different. I just hope, that if it is a Vekoma, that Alton properly maintain it, because with some TLC, Vekomas can be rather enjoyable.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/8/09 11:26:09 AM

Towers Times have the profile of the ride. It's just as you'd expect - the same height as Corkscrew and Rita, with a good first drop and a couple of sizeable bunny hops along the way.

Towers Times

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 1/10/09 3:56:44 PM

The theming for SW6 looks very good. There are wild rumours that B&M are involved but im sceptical. The only way i see b&m involved is if its a new concept like inverted stand up or 4d. I think its probaly intamin, vekoma or mack. Do we think this maybe a flagship ride and one that Alton Towers will hope will dominate there marketing for at least 4 years. If B&M are in talks with Alton Towers lets hope its for the black hole tent that would be a welcomed SW7 in four years time.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/10/09 6:02:04 PM

> The theming for SW6 looks very good. There are wild rumours
> that B&M are involved but im sceptical. The only way i see
> b&m involved is if its a new concept like inverted stand up
> or 4d. I think its probaly intamin, vekoma or mack.

Since I saw the original layout, I've assumed it's a Vekoma, because it does look exactly the same sort of coaster as Expedition Everest. I'm sure B&M is just wishful thinking, as the layout is really so small, I can't imagine a B&M-gauge coaster with that footprint.

> Do we
> think this maybe a flagship ride and one that Alton Towers
> will hope will dominate there marketing for at least 4
> years.

Yes. This and the Thorpe Park ride will both probably be the biggest new coasters in the UK for a few years. It probably will dominate Alton's marketing for the next four years, because Alton's other "big" rides aren't really new enough any more to carry the advertising campaign.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 1/11/09 11:45:21 AM

After watching Sweeny Todd last night and how the chair tips up i couldnt help but wonder if its gonna be Sweeny Todd the ride. You could imagine the car pulling into the room it going dark the track elevating and all of sudden your going backwards straight down onto another track section. Its just a thought.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/11/09 12:13:09 PM

> After watching Sweeny Todd last night and how the chair
> tips up i couldnt help but wonder if its gonna be Sweeny
> Todd the ride. You could imagine the car pulling into the
> room it going dark the track elevating and all of sudden
> your going backwards straight down onto another track
> section. Its just a thought.

Flippin' heck, you're right. That could well be it. Someone at Merlin obviously has a penchant for horror films.

I don't like them personally, so I'm just waiting for Dumb & Dumber: the Ride! Preferably a ski-lift.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/12/09 7:32:53 AM

A Flippin' Tiltin' Reverser in the dark? Oh how that makes me giddy! It could be something else, but this would be fantastic.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/12/09 10:51:55 AM

> A Flippin' Tiltin' Reverser in the dark? Oh how that makes
> me giddy! It could be something else, but this would be
> fantastic.

Oh, I think it's very likely the first reverse point will be enclosed and themed.

The helix is below ground level, by the way. I wonder if it'll actually be enclosed?

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 1/14/09 6:30:50 AM

I guess that Alton must really hate all the public access they have to grant for their "secret weapons".
You can see actually the whole layout (except the indoor section) in various, detailed views (including track-type) here:
http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/upload/PublicAccess%5C08-02030-FUL(J)%20(14455).JPG

All the publicly available papers can be accessed here:
http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/publicaccess/tdc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?caseno=KBM3OQPG04H00

In all honesty, the new ride looks not much bigger than a Zierer family coaster.

StellaVista

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/14/09 10:19:49 AM

Wow, that's fantastic, TrickTrack! Thank you.

Looks like Intamin track, doesn't it? The first drop looks really good and steep - about 70-degrees.

EDIT - Actually, comparing it to Rita, it looks like Gerstlauer track. It could be some sort of Reverser Euro Fighter!

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/14/09 12:41:54 PM

> Wow, that's fantastic, TrickTrack! Thank you.

> Looks like Intamin track, doesn't it? The first drop looks
> really good and steep - about 70-degrees.

> EDIT - Actually, comparing it to Rita, it looks like
> Gerstlauer track. It could be some sort of Reverser Euro
> Fighter!

> * This Post Has Been Modified *

That's what I was thinking, or maybe it'll be an Intamin reverser Euro Fighter...or whatever they call theirs.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 1/14/09 3:55:08 PM

Eurofighters may be alright but they look like coasters that please the energy efficiency brigade. Anything short of a Intamin then we maybe in trouble. My wants from Alton Towers in the next 10 years.

Out

1. The Blade
2. Runaway mine Train
3. Ripsaw
4. The Log Flume
5. Submission

IN

1. SW 6
2. New Flat (Forbiden Valley)
3. SW 7 (Black Hole Tent) B&M would be nice in there.
4. New family verkoma in Kantanga canyon/Gloomy wood
5. World Class water ride.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/14/09 6:04:44 PM

> That's what I was thinking, or maybe it'll be an Intamin
> reverser Euro Fighter...or whatever they call theirs.

The more I think about this, the more I think it's actually a Gerstlauer Euro Fighter without the vertical drop. The track does look just a bit too "slight" to be Intamin, and Merlin could have got a 2-coaster deal with Gerstlauer (Alton + Thorpe).

Suits me. Looking at the layout, I don't see much benefit of it being Intamin. In fact, I much prefer Gerstlauer.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/14/09 9:50:24 PM

Graeme, what do you mean by slight when it comes to the Intamin & Gerstlauer track? If it is a Euro Fighter, hey, you might get your wish about a Euro Fighter without a vertical drop.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by not_the_winged_beast at 1/15/09 4:54:24 AM

> That's what I was thinking, or maybe it'll be an Intamin
> reverser Euro Fighter...or whatever they call theirs.

they wanted a ride which had the same appeal as mammut at gardaland, as far as i know it's an intamin family mine train coaster but with the switchback elements to give a "worlds first" claim, while it's hardly the case and tenuous at best

> Suits me. Looking at the layout, I don't see much benefit
> of it being Intamin. In fact, I much prefer Gerstlauer.

newsplusnotes.com have a nice summary of the images, the themeing looks great a kind of extension of the towers, no idea how that will sit next to Rita or how she could be re-styled to fit in

ug land is a complete bottle neck, the area doesn't have a natural flow, removing corkscrew was a chance to reposition rita's queue/entrance and open the area out - but its been wasted really oh well

not the winged beast :P

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/15/09 10:06:12 AM

Tim:
> Graeme, what do you mean by slight when it comes to the
> Intamin & Gerstlauer track?

I mean it looks a bit thinner and less hefty than Rita's track, even the triangular bits.

Not the winged beast (nice to have a new member, by the way ;) )... from that blog you linked, it sounds like it will have a pirate theme.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/15/09 10:30:42 AM

If it is going to be an Intamin mine train with the reverser sections, then why is this a world's first? Vekoma did this with Everest, and the two switchbacks on Everest were were to reverse it (simply by flipping the track), and the to send it forwards. It would be a first for Intamin (evidentally leading to my home park who are in bed with Intamin).

Re: Hex v.s Nemesis by not_the_winged_beast at 1/15/09 1:42:21 PM

> Not the winged beast (nice to have a new member, by the way
> ;) )... from that blog you linked, it sounds like it will
> have a pirate theme.

i think they got an application from the new sealife facade in the mix there which will have the octopus tentacles

could you imagine octopus tentacles on SW6 it would then be Hex vs Nemesis

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 1/20/09 6:13:07 PM

Looking at B&M's new arrowhead trains i cant help but wonder about if it may be a B&M. The plans may show a track thats not a B&M but how accurate does the plans have to be. Allthough a B&M dark ride inside the black hole tent would for me be the most exciting coaster of all at Alton Towers built more than sw6. I can dream i guess.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/21/09 10:50:12 AM

> Looking at B&M's new arrowhead trains i cant help but
> wonder about if it may be a B&M. The plans may show a track
> thats not a B&M but how accurate does the plans have to be.
> Allthough a B&M dark ride inside the black hole tent would
> for me be the most exciting coaster of all at Alton Towers
> built more than sw6. I can dream i guess.

Deeve, I wouldn't hold your breath with B&M, honestly. For one thing, if it is a Gerstlauer, it's alot cheaper than B&M. Besides, Gerstaluer have been doing far more innovative things than B&M has of late.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/21/09 12:18:08 PM

Yeah, it won't be a B&M. The plan is surely extremely accurate.

I didn't realise B&M had a new train though.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/21/09 7:34:20 PM

I think these are the same trains they have been using on their hypers now like Behemoth and Diamondback. I could be wrong.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/22/09 10:13:14 AM

> I think these are the same trains they have been using on
> their hypers now like Behemoth and Diamondback. I could be
> wrong.

Doh! Thanks Tim. I'm a scatterbrain these days.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 2/14/09 2:49:46 PM

Are you all aware of this?
http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/news/Protests-hit-plan-new-Alton-Towers-ride/article-692263-detail/article.html

Seems that the planning application was stopped by concerned neighbours.
You really have to feel sorry for AT. They have to spend so much money laying out all their "secret" plans and even when they come up with such a relatively low profile design they the protesters manage to stop them.

Question: Wouldn´t this desired new access road have to be mostly financed by the city or county? After all AT is a massive tax payer and it hasn´t been build yesterday. If the traffic is such a big problem for the city they should take care of the problem to relief the annoyance for the inhabitants.

StellaVista

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/14/09 3:52:39 PM

Flippin' Hell! (I'm keeping it clean as I had other choice words). I don't understand how the town can be such morons. Personally, I think they do it because they like the attention, I truly do. Since I've been reading about what kind of coaster this is, I've been excited at the possibilities. I've been on here long enough to know never get excited at the idea of another Alton coaster, because it's just a waste of energy...sadly.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/15/09 9:35:46 AM

> Are you all aware of this?
> Seems that the planning application was stopped by
> concerned neighbours.

Personally, I don't take this challenge seriously, for two reasons:

1) I very much doubt they've got any objections that stand up to scrutiny.
2) I don't care if this coaster gets built or not.

It's interesting that Rita didn't need planning permission, but this does. I assume Rita falls entirely within the area of the General Development Order, but this new one doesn't.

> Question: Wouldn´t this desired new access road have to be
> mostly financed by the city or county? After all AT is a
> massive tax payer and it hasn´t been build yesterday. If
> the traffic is such a big problem for the city they should
> take care of the problem to relief the annoyance for the
> inhabitants.

Probably the county. Alton and Farley are only small villages. Uttoxeter and Stoke are nearby, but I still guess the county.

There are so many issues with the access road. From what I've read over the years, one plan would be to go through private land, which would be a struggle. Even taking another route, there are people who wouldn't want it to ruin the countryside.

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by deeve at 3/13/09 4:20:09 AM

SW6 approved all systems go

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/13/09 12:39:00 PM

> SW6 approved all systems go

I've suddenly become very excited about this ride, especially if the rumours are true that it's a Mega Lite!

Re: LOVELY Alton Coaster Plan (i.e. Won't Happen) by calsboro at 3/28/09 11:45:31 AM

nooooooooooo, the best rollercoasters are the ones that go up then go down because they sometimes go fast, vroooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm