Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park!

New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park!

stealthmad29 stealthmad29 Profile

Posted:
7/19/08 at
11:53:30 AM

Views: 4943

Thorpe park has decided to build a new roller coaster for 2009.
the design ideas have come through Thorpe park's website and the important facts listed below:
type: eurofighter towering coaster
duration: 1:05 min
speed (max): 55mph
height 38.04 meters (100ft)
inversions: 4
g's: 5.04g

this will be a very exciting coaster and will change Thorpe park a the Uk's roller coasters!!!

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by leon leon Profile at 7/19/08 12:47:32 PM

> Thorpe park has decided to build a new roller coaster for
> 2009.
> the design ideas have come through Thorpe park's website
> and the important facts listed below:
> type: eurofighter towering coaster
> duration: 1:05 min
> speed (max): 55mph
> height 38.04 meters (100ft)
> inversions: 4
> g's: 5.04g

> this will be a very exciting coaster and will change Thorpe
> park a the Uk's roller coasters!!!

I thought I'd let you know, Thorpe Park have been planning this for a long time. At least they've now finally admitted to it and are advertising.

;)

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by leon leon Profile at 7/19/08 12:57:33 PM

Update: I can't find it anywhere on their website?!

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 8/19/08 11:18:43 AM

Here's a link to the construction (last updated 28th July). I'm looking forward to seeing steel.

One thing that's changed from the original design is that the last inversion (dive loop?) has been replaced with a bunny hop.

Thorpe Park Guide

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 9/8/08 4:20:44 PM

Track is here:

TPG

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 9/15/08 9:01:08 AM

There's a very, very steep drop. I don't really understand what I'm looking at here. Is it a pre-lift drop?

TPG

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 9/19/08 12:02:16 PM

Grazza, it's supposed to be inspired by Mystery Mine from what I was reading about it on Coasterforce (Eric, I am sorry for mentioning another site lol). I'm getting really geeked about this coaster.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 9/19/08 2:31:55 PM

> Grazza, it's supposed to be inspired by Mystery Mine from
> what I was reading about it on Coasterforce (Eric, I am
> sorry for mentioning another site lol). I'm getting really
> geeked about this coaster.

I enjoy watching the construction of any coaster (especially UK) and, I'll say this, Gerstlauer coasters pack an awful lot of thrill for their size. This is the looping coaster equivalent of a wild mouse.

EDIT - here's a good site: http://projectdylan.co.uk/page/construction

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 9/23/08 6:00:22 PM

Immelman is done:

Project Dylan

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by deeve at 10/10/08 1:29:56 PM

I dont know if Thorpes eurofighter is breaking any records in the eurofighters world but them inversions look pretty big to me. With some good theming and effects Thorpe has a nice tidy instalation on there hands. What are Eurofighters reliability like not rode any of them at all. Are they good for airtime etc. Early look at theese rides they look like coasters from 70s seaside resorts. Im gonna know get on a woodie for Thorpe campaign after this one opens.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/10/08 2:13:05 PM

> I dont know if Thorpes eurofighter is breaking any records
> in the eurofighters world but them inversions look pretty
> big to me.

You've got a good point there. Speed is approx 20ft bigger, but the loop comes after an airtime hill and fan turn. These may well be the biggest inversions. Mystery Mine is probably the biggest competitor in terms of inversion size.

> With some good theming and effects Thorpe has a
> nice tidy instalation on there hands. What are Eurofighters
> reliability like not rode any of them at all. Are they good
> for airtime etc. Early look at theese rides they look like
> coasters from 70s seaside resorts.

I'm sure you'll get quite a lot of airtime, as well as positive Gs. Gerstlauer coasters have sharp drops and such, and don't feel like Schwarzkopfs or B&Ms (even though the Bobsleds have B&M-quality transitions).

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/13/08 2:14:14 AM

Actually Grazza, Mystery Mine's inversions are at the end...you go into what is almost like a snake roll (basically an inline twist and once out of that into a half loop...see Storm Runner for comparisons) and it goes right into the brakes. However, IMHO, that's what makes it look so appealing, you have to wait until the end for the inversions.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/13/08 10:11:49 AM

> Actually Grazza, Mystery Mine's inversions are at the
> end...you go into what is almost like a snake roll
> (basically an inline twist and once out of that into a half
> loop...see Storm Runner for comparisons) and it goes right
> into the brakes. However, IMHO, that's what makes it look
> so appealing, you have to wait until the end for the
> inversions.

Quite. I used to design roller coasters in RCT that were about 65ft tall to begin with, but then dropped underground into one of those enormous B&M loops at the end!

Thanks for the info on Mystery Mine. Project Dylan probably has got the biggest inversions on a Euro Fighter, then.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/13/08 11:28:40 AM

> Actually Grazza, Mystery Mine's inversions are at the
> end...you go into what is almost like a snake roll
> (basically an inline twist and once out of that into a half
> loop...see Storm Runner for comparisons) and it goes right
> into the brakes. However, IMHO, that's what makes it look
> so appealing, you have to wait until the end for the
> inversions.

> Quite. I used to design roller coasters in RCT that were
> about 65ft tall to begin with, but then dropped underground
> into one of those enormous B&M loops at the end!

> Thanks for the info on Mystery Mine. Project Dylan probably
> has got the biggest inversions on a Euro Fighter, then.

> * This Post Has Been Modified *

Very nice! Actually, I made a mistake in my post, Mystery Mine's two inversions is a roll over, and SR has the same thing, the Snake Dive is Intamin's version of an Immelmann.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Hurri Hurri Profile at 10/13/08 7:05:03 PM

So it's confirmed as 'Saw: The Ride'

I have to say, I'm disappointed. I think the Saw movies are pants.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/14/08 9:59:21 AM

> So it's confirmed as 'Saw: The Ride'

> I have to say, I'm disappointed. I think the Saw movies are
> pants.

I'm disgusted by this news because, as I said on the ECC List, I honestly think horror, violence and cruelty passed off as entertainment is one of the main things making society so depraved.

Also, I just think theme parks should be wholesome, family fun.

That said, I didn't want to ride it anyway, so I'm glad that it's not ruining a coaster I wanted to ride. If they had to pay a licence, is this the reason they could not afford a B&M?

The whole thing's just a very sorry affair.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/14/08 5:47:53 PM

I thought about all of that too, Graz, and I would think they would have to tone it right down. Surprisingly, I loved these films, and as I was mentioning to someone not long ago, they should have stopped at 2, but that's another thing altogether.

I was really hoping though for a Mystery Mine-esque theming with a bit of Trispdrill's Mammnut(sp).

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by deeve at 10/14/08 5:54:55 PM

Colossus marketed a 10 looper they meant inversions. Stealths height gets the punters in doesent work. And know a marketing tie in with Saw. This is designed to get ordinary punters in and to hell with enthusiasts.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/14/08 5:58:43 PM

> I thought about all of that too, Graz, and I would think
> they would have to tone it right down. Surprisingly, I
> loved these films, and as I was mentioning to someone not
> long ago, they should have stopped at 2, but that's another
> thing altogether.

I should say I don't dislike everyone who watches these films (even if I don't understand them myself), I just think a theme park should not endorse them.

I admit I am self-righteous though! ;)

I could understand if they themed it to Alien (which I like, especially for the bit with Ripley in her pants!) or something else with a monster.

However, we all know the scariest TV show and the monster they should have themed it after - the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who!!!

Don't blink!!!

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/14/08 9:08:22 PM

Thanks G-Spot, now I'm thinking about the Weeping Angels...jerk. lol! But Alien would have been great, or even something like the Twilight Zone.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/15/08 10:55:05 AM

> Thanks G-Spot, now I'm thinking about the Weeping
> Angels...jerk. lol! But Alien would have been great, or
> even something like the Twilight Zone.

Or Double Dragon: the Ride? Before the lift-hill, an Abobo punches through the wall. Then we rescue a piece of totty at the end, but have to fight each other for her!

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/15/08 1:58:07 PM

> Thanks G-Spot, now I'm thinking about the Weeping
> Angels...jerk. lol! But Alien would have been great, or
> even something like the Twilight Zone.

> Or Double Dragon: the Ride? Before the lift-hill, an Abobo
> punches through the wall. Then we rescue a piece of totty
> at the end, but have to fight each other for her!

LOL!

If it's going to be that, it has to be a racing coaster, something like Movie Park's old Lethal Weapon. One track or car has to be blue for Billy and red for Jimmy. Too bad Intamin never made another coaster like Lethal Weapon, that was a sweet looking ride.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 10/16/08 8:26:48 AM

Lethal Weapon was trash! It was badly designed and executed and that it had to be taken down after 9 years because it would have been too expensive to save it, should prove the point.

As for SAW: Brilliant but sad marketing idea.

StellaVista

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/16/08 9:17:29 AM

> As for SAW: Brilliant but sad marketing idea.

Do you think they'd do a Saw ride in Germany, Tricktrack? Are the films actually allowed?

I think it's a great shame they're going for the chav pound. Even in First Drop, it said they claim half the budget is going on theming. I can just imagine the conversation:

B&M: We've got that coaster design ready for you...
Thorpe Park: Er...
B&M: We've excelled ourselves this time, you're going to love it!
Thorpe: Yes, about that...
B&M: And all for the good value sum of £XXm. I'm sure you know, Mr Merlin, that you get what you pay for.
Thorpe: Any chance you could halve the price?
B&M: What? No, of course not! Why do you want us to do that?
Thorpe: We want to waste half the budget on theming it to a rubbish film.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 10/17/08 8:17:08 AM

^Of course the films are allowed (the only thing that was not shown in germany due to censorship was the Star-Trek Nazi episode, AFAIK). They also make obscene amounts of money.
It is a real controversial attention grabber and will generate lots of viral marketing that will finally pay for the licensing fees.
But after all, the SAW-franchise is to the 00s what Scream was to the 80s, Freddy Krüger to the 80s and Halloween to the 70s. Just see it as a corporate, overblown ghost-train with inversions.
(I think its very interesting that this franchise goes to a park that is otherwise not known as a "movie park".)

StellaVista

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/17/08 10:42:27 AM

I have a question, and I'm sure laziness will be the answer...why couldn't the'and I use this lightly' the marketting geniuses' come up with some fictional, again like Mystery Mine... for funks sake, they had Primeval shoot there, that would have been more suitable, or completely make something up...

Damnit, I'm starting to turn into Graeme... Should be interesting to see him transform into myself...

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/17/08 10:45:44 AM

Phone call no.2:

Gerstlauer: Hello, Gerstlauer speaking!
Thorpe: Hello, it's Thorpe Park! We'd like to order a coaster!
Gerstlauer: Oh, wonderful! We thought you were going with B&M though...?
Thorpe: Yes, but we want a cheaper coaster so we can waste half the budget on theming.
Gerstlauer: Theming? What's the theme?
Thorpe: We're theming it to a film.
Gerstlauer: Oh, lovely! Is it Ridley Scott or the Coen Brothers?
Thorpe: No, it's Saw.
Gerstlauer: What's that?
Thorpe: It's a film about dismemberment.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/17/08 1:01:46 PM

LOL!

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by esp3001 at 10/17/08 4:41:25 PM

I feel like a fly on the wall to those telephone conversations. Good work Graeme

Regarding Saw although the theme may be a little to commerical, Im still looking forward to the ride. As i live in Southend i love poping into town and catching a ride on Rage, its perfectly suited to a park its size. Although im dissapointed by Thorpe getting a euro fighter rather than something exciting im still looking forward to it. Its something new and lets face it, who knows what effects the themeing will add.

As i mentioned on another forum, i would much rather have X: No Way Out removed for a mini euro fighter (like rage) and have a much better coaster outside, i really feel that would have been a smart move but, as i just said (in more words than im about too), dont knock it till youve rid'n it...

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/17/08 6:24:12 PM

You are right, esp3001 (and a warm welcome, by the way), it will probably be a good ride in its own right - a little bit better than Rage, I should think. The last thing I want to do is criticise Gerstlauer (who make excellent coasters).

Time for me to forget about this one, I think.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 10/19/08 12:38:02 PM

Time for you to ride it when it opens. ;)

'Hello Graeme, if you received this tape, then you must be wondering why I have you in here. As we know, you dont like tall roller coasters, or wet rides, and one part of roller coasters that you don't like...vertical, or beyond vertical drops.'
You have a choice, it's either Saw or one of Thorpe's water rides... You will not be allowed to leave until you have ridden... the choice is yours...'

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 10/19/08 2:23:14 PM

> You have a choice, it's either Saw or one of Thorpe's water
> rides... You will not be allowed to leave until you have
> ridden... the choice is yours...'

No problem, mister, as I have ridden both Logger's Leap and Depth Charge! Gutted! ;)

By the way, I'm glad Thorpe are going with risqué themes these days, because I think they should retheme Logger's Leap as Little Britain: the Ride.

In the queue, you walk past Lou & Andy...
Lou: "Now, you do realise this ride has a very big drop and you might get wet?"
Andy: "Yeah, I know!"

Once in the log, you enter a health spa and see Bubbles DeVere. "Hello Dahlings, call me Bubbles! Everyone does!"

You take a turn into the male changing room, where the naked bodybuilders are up to their antics. Daffydd looks on and shouts "I'm the only gay in the log flume!"

Things get steamy as you enter the sauna, where the Prime Minister is relaxing. Then you hear Sebastian's voice: "Prime Minister, I've got a surprise for you!" The door opens and he's standing there starkers.

Finally, onto the lift hill, you see a figure waiting for you at the top. It's Bubbles again, wearing only a towel.

"Why are you trembling, Dahlings? Could it be that you are nervous of being alone with Bubbles DeVere?" Music plays ("The Stripper") and Bubbles sings and dances along with it seductively: "Da, da, dah, da, da, da, dah...!"

Just as you get to the top of the hill, Bubbles drops her towel, revealing her full glory and you escape down the drop!

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by CFObsessed CFObsessed Profile at 10/27/08 10:05:57 PM

Hi,

I did a feature Saw:The Ride on my blog.Here is the link:

http://amusementparkmadness.blogspot.com/

The article features CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS AND THE PRESS RELEASE!

Re: Weeeeee by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 11/19/08 1:56:10 PM

> One thing that's changed from the original design is that
> the last inversion (dive loop?) has been replaced with a
> bunny hop.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

*photo from construction update on Poject Dylan / Thorpe Park Mania

Re: Weeeeee by Graeme Graeme Profile at 11/19/08 5:58:49 PM

That's enormous!!!

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 11/20/08 7:21:18 PM

Yes, this ride is coming along very nicely.

Chris.

Re: Weeeeee by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 11/23/08 1:06:50 PM

> That's enormous!!!

That's beautiful! Oy, and I was going to bitch about a dive loop being removed for this.....

Re: Weeeeee by Graeme Graeme Profile at 12/2/08 9:14:36 AM

The nice thing about the size of that hop is that the negative Gs shouldn't be too high.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by not_the_winged_beast at 1/24/09 2:49:08 PM

http://projectdylan.co.uk/Construction/124
thorpe park mania have a video of SAW testing

shows some of the themeing and reveals the new train design with an open fronted car

the zero-g was fantastic on Lynet
the airtime hill is breathtaking on speed

. . . i'm really looking forward to SAW

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/24/09 9:05:04 PM

Non-Winged Beast, didn't Lynet use a different style train? It was a six seater, am I right? I must say I'm really looking forward to this more and more.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by not_the_winged_beast at 1/25/09 5:08:19 AM

> Non-Winged Beast, didn't Lynet use a different style train?
> It was a six seater, am I right? I must say I'm really
> looking forward to this more and more.
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

Well its not anything revolutionary new just that in the past the Euro Fighters have all had some kind of Gerstlauer Nose on the front of the train SAW has a flat front with rails, to give an open feel

Lynet uses the wedge cars with each row slightly wider apart - guess to try and give everyone a good view, personally it doesn't work that well - in the past gerstlauer had models of bobsled coasters using a 6 person car very similar to these on their lsm coaster

The comparison came about because despite been different styles of coaster SAW uses the same up into zero g roll then down element that Lynet has which gave a surprising amount of airtime and was one of the most exhilarating parts of the ride . . the layout of SAW seems to have been carefully chosen, i think the ride itself will be fantastic

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/2/09 12:04:20 PM

> . . the layout of SAW seems
> to have been carefully chosen, i think the ride itself will
> be fantastic

I must say, it looks really good the way it rolls around the track. Could well be the best Euro Fighter layout yet.

Don't suppose they could change the theme to "Jim's Jolly Sawmill"?

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by deeve at 2/2/09 2:49:33 PM

I think i said something daft in a depressed rage on another forum and betted that sw6 would be a mack water coaster. But my bet is on Saw being a good ride and sw6 being a reverse tilt coaster sweeny todd style.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 2/2/09 3:52:06 PM

> . . the layout of SAW seems
> to have been carefully chosen, i think the ride itself will
> be fantastic

> I must say, it looks really good the way it rolls around
> the track. Could well be the best Euro Fighter layout yet.

> Don't suppose they could change the theme to "Jim's
> Jolly Sawmill"?

Ahh yes, Jolly Jim's Sawmill! Line cutters will be persecuted. :P

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 2/15/09 9:38:32 AM

> I think i said something daft in a depressed rage on
> another forum and betted that sw6 would be a mack water
> coaster. But my bet is on Saw being a good ride and sw6
> being a reverse tilt coaster sweeny todd style.

Mack water coasters can have reverser sections, so that's not a bad guess.

Regarding Saw, I think some people may have ridden it already, as I was reading the newspaper yesterday and there was a picture of people getting married on it.

Re: New Roller Coaster to Thorpe Park! by Hurri Hurri Profile at 2/15/09 12:33:38 PM

Confirmed by staff (or at least claimed) yesterday that the wedding party didn't actually go round. They may have gone from one block to the next on the pre-lift.

Rumour has it the Ride It First competition winners will be riding on March 13th, and the park - including Saw - will be open to Annual Pass holders. Would be nice if this is the case.