Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Yarmouth Eye Opens This Weekend

Yarmouth Eye Opens This Weekend

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
7/18/08 at
4:24:57 PM

Views: 1399

Saw this on the news. Looks very high-tech.

The wheel is 40m high (about 130ft), has 30 fully air-conditioned capsules (8 people in each), lasts 12 minutes, cost £3m to build and costs £6.50 a ride (£4.50 for children).

Official site:
http://www.pleasure-beach.co.uk/news.php

Story, 14th July:
http://www.eastcoastlive.co.uk/news/info.php?refnum=2008

Mercury Story (16th July)

Re: Yarmouth Eye Opens This Weekend by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 7/19/08 4:35:52 AM

I was quite shocked to hear about this. Well I've been hearing about it for over a year now, then suddenly I read the EDP and found out that its due to open soon!

Looks impressive, but £6.50 is WAY too much.

And why is it only open until September? So they've paid £3m to have it for 2 months?

Re: Yarmouth Eye Opens This Weekend by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/19/08 9:34:21 AM

> I was quite shocked to hear about this. Well I've been
> hearing about it for over a year now, then suddenly I read
> the EDP and found out that its due to open soon!

Me too! I was reading Teletext on Channel 4, flicked over to Anglia News and couldn't believe what I saw! (That's my Friday night of excitement, by the way!) ;)

It'd be nice if Great Yarmouth seafront could be open all year round, but the truth is they have to judge it on operating costs. The Yarmouth Eye, though, with its enclosed capsules, does seem a good thing to have open in the colder months. Maybe it will be when "The Edge" and the Harbour are completed?

If I'm honest, I was surprised by the price, but I'm 100% behind them. If we want our seasides to get high-tech kit like this, we have to pay the price for it. This is the best seaside investment since Rage, and before that, well, you have to go back to Valhalla, really!

This is such a positive development when some people are saying seasides are in decline and can't invest.

Re: Yarmouth Eye Opens This Weekend by leon leon Profile at 7/19/08 12:55:52 PM

I didn't know they were even building anything new this year!? It looks terrific and I will find myself there very soon!

=]

Re: Yarmouth Eye Opens This Weekend by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 7/22/08 2:49:18 AM

This is finally great news. I remember discovering the announcement of the wheel then nothing but silence for ages. Can't wait to see it but the price....that's a lot of moola.

I'd be interested to see the new Sedgeway Karts, too.

Chris.

Re: Yarmouth Eye Opens This Weekend by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/23/08 9:19:01 AM

> Can't wait to see it but the price....that's a lot of
> moola.

There's no doubt about it - that's the sort of price that a family will balk at. If I recall correctly, the Sand Sculpture exhibition was exactly the same price, and that put a lot of people off, although personally, it was the best £6.50 I've spent!

I suppose it depends on whether you see it as "an amusement park attraction" or more like the London Eye. I saw it as the former.

I've been trying to work out how much money they need to make, and I estimate that it needs 500,000 riders. That's the equivalent of the glory days of Pleasurewood Hills, so, if this sparks enough interest, they could well do it, although I assumed it would be over two years rather than two months.

According to the Yarmouth Things website, the Roller Coaster gets approx 250,000 riders a year, which is pretty good, and, if I recall correctly, the standard sort of attendance Pleasurewood Hills gets.

> I'd be interested to see the new Sedgeway Karts, too.

Are they in the Pleasure Beach?

Yarmouth Things

Re: Yarmouth Eye Opens This Weekend by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 7/24/08 6:11:32 PM

You know, i don't know but the pleasue beach web site lists them.

Chris.

Re: Yarmouth Eye Opens This Weekend by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 7/26/08 4:53:50 AM

They are infront of where the Ejector Seat used to be, again, another rip off.

They expect to pay £16 for a wristband, which is a rip off as it is, then an £6.50 to go on the wheel, and also an extra £4 to go on these segway karts.

I'm sorry, with the rising cost of..... everything going at the monment, people aren't to want to waste money like that.