Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Scandilicious

Scandilicious

the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile

Posted:
6/27/08 at
6:26:33 AM

Views: 8398

Liseberg, can you handle this / Farup, can you handle this / Djurs, can you handle this / i don't think they can handle this . . . wooooo!

Piraten and Lynet – Denmark has got two kick ass new coasters this year, so we had to go ride them!

At the start of June, the parks weren't open everyday of the week and we weren't that interested in credit whoring boomerangs or mini apples.

Liseberg was winking at us, after discovering a ferry connection between Goteborg and Denmark, it became a definite yes, especially after our visit last year was a bit of a wash out it would be nice to be actually ride Balder without the rain lashing our eyes out

Photobucket

A plane, bus and tram later we were at Liseberg waiting for the park to open at 13:00, we had to leave for the 18:45 ferry, so we knew this was a quick visit, I wouldn't recommend this short amount of time for a first time visit

The queues of school kids outside the main entrance was getting huge, so we thought we'd be sneaky and pop around the back entrance (ooh err) only to find equally large amounts of school children waiting to get in – so we knew it was going to be rammed

The gates opened and we purchased our entrance ticket, then sorted the ride wristbands and dumped the luggage into a locker . . . right run like crazy towards the intamin naughty corner

Photobucket

Kanonen first as we figured it would have the longest wait, we were overjoyed to discover even without the heavy rain it still rides like a small train wreck, it's too tight and throws some nasty jolts, though I somehow find myself liking it in a strange way

Balder is the sex! Yes, yes, yes, yerrrs, I'd rag that biatch every which way! It's too good, big floaty airtime, flying over every hill, its perfection . . managed about 3/4 rides

Photobucket

Lisebergbanan(a) was running great those fiendish twisted lunges over the side of the hill are just brilliant, just as Uppswinget (or Soarin' Over Gothenburg) swings out over the edge of the cliff are a great rush

We managed to squeeze a lot of rides into the short time we had at the park, Rainbow, suspended fairytale castle ride, space shot, ferris wheel, rapids and the fantastic terrain log flume with that final three drop in a row finale

Photobucket

We also managed to fit in two, what are now Liseberg traditions, one attempt to eat a burger king whilst been attacked by gulls, and two, laugh at a child attempting to carry a 6ft Toblerone won from one of the many the oversized prize games stalls

One last go on Balder and it was time to head to the ferry port, the 3 hour sea voyage to Frederikshavn cost us a very reasonable £11, the ship itself was filled with slot machines and not much else to do, only one of the restaurants was open offering a very limited selection of food, so we abused the unlimited soft drink refill system!

Photobucket

Frederikshavn itself was a nice place, we borrowed bikes from the hotel and cycled through the quaint streets filled with restaurants, bars, sculptures and water features

What a day! Next stop Farup . . . .

HighExtreme

Re: Scandilicious by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/27/08 5:47:05 PM

> At the start of June, the parks weren't open everyday of
> the week and we weren't that interested in credit whoring
> boomerangs or mini apples.

So eloquent! So true!

> Liseberg was winking at us,

That reminds me of a Paul Whitehouse character in The Fast Show!

> Kanonen first as we figured it would have the longest
> wait, we were overjoyed to discover even without the heavy
> rain it still rides like a small train wreck,

LOL!

> We also managed to fit in two, what are now Liseberg
> traditions, one attempt to eat a burger king whilst been
> attacked by gulls, and two, laugh at a child attempting to
> carry a 6ft Toblerone won from one of the many the
> oversized prize games stalls

Six foot?!!

Great TR, and it sounds like a very, very nice trip.

Re: Scandilicious by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 6/28/08 3:34:49 AM

> Six foot?!!

Well i guess they are about 2/3ft, but it is always funny to watch a small child trying to carry them around the park, or the giant sacks of crips, here's a photo from last year

Photobucket

. . . trust me to do the typical male thing of adding on a few extra inches :P

HighExtreme

Re: Scandilicious by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 6/28/08 7:51:18 AM

Getting around Denmark on public transport is a delicious piece of lemon cake, the first port of call should be the DSB Website it is in English, simple to use, calculates bus and train journeys, even tells you the platform you need to stand on to wait for the train

So up bright and early we boarded the commuter train from Frederikshavn to Lindholm, then a bus direct to Farup

There was an inclusive return journey/park admission combination ticket available, however we decided against it as we weren't returning to the same station

The bus dropped off at the car entrance to the park, you had to on foot cut in front of the queues of cars that were queuing to buy entrance tickets from the drive-thru admission kiosks, then walk through the trees and across the car park to what looked like it was once a traditional entrance gate however the kiosks had been boarded up / turnstiles removed, so in theory if you arrived by bus you could walk in easily without paying . . seems a bit of a strange loophole

Photobucket

We headed towards Lynet, however it was experiencing technical problems, the bottom right corner of the photo above shows one of the workmen that were building the themeing for the internal parts of the queue line, around the people waiting when the ride finally opened!

So we did the spinning mouse, the cars were continuously moving through the station, there was only one person operating the ride who was mainly there to chat to people as they got in, it seemed the ride operated itself (something you don’t usually see on a reverchon mouse) the coaster itself was one of the better ones, lots of spinning and not too harsh on the brakes and nice to be set amongst the trees

We wandered around the far end of the park, there were lots of trampolines, inflatables and playgrounds, as well as completely random attractions such as a shooting range and pony rides

Rapids had a really long route and a lot of geysers, the log flume was the same layout as Great Yarmouth's, that sneaky tiny second drop is always the wettest

Photobucket

Oh the chips were seriously fit! The forest assault course was definitely the compensation nation would never allow in the UK, the lengthy course went high into the trees, and across onto a pirate ship in the middle of the lake, it featured such obstacles as such as stepping stones over a small stream through a dark tunnel, zip lines, a maze and a few over some water, including monkey bars and a pull yourself across the lake rafts, which people in the free pedalo boats could pass underneath

Photobucket

I'd heard reports that Falken had got rough and was unpleasant, so wasn't expecting much, thankfully this proved to be untrue, the ride was fantastic, the strange little first drop and turn after the lift builds up some momentum to push the train over the proper first drop creating some serious ejector airtime

I didn't expect it to be a family ride, it's a very gentle coaster with the right amount of float and speed, the upward helix into the station was a bit of a rattler but nothing uncomfortable – again one-man-op he was a nice old fella who'd send the train around twice before letting you get off :)

Next up was our exclusive Scandinavian organic spa treatment session, or the aqualand waterpark, the refreshing freezing waters and leaf matter and insect corpses swirled in for good measure was honestly doing wonders for my skin

Aqualand basically meant pump a ridiculous amount of water down concrete channels cut into the side of a hill, you'd raft on your inflatable donut tumbling down some perfectly unsafe vertical ledges and over numerous ridges which would swash you up the side and spin you around backwards and if you're lucky capsize you into the leaf swamp . . fantastic! It had a cool feature of been able to choose different routes to reach the bottom pool, there was also a long plastic sheet down the hillside with a dribble of water which you went ridiculously fast down and a double person raft bowl slide

Photobucket

Lynet is brilliant, it kind of reaffirms the launch part in a launch coaster doesn't have to be intimidating, just a neat way of woooshing into the start of the ride, the airtime is truly insane, the loops are fantastic, the whole coaster is just exciting and fun

The Sommerlands are an interesting style of amusement park, at Farup particularly the focus isn't really what rides the park has, its about having some fun in the countryside and making the most of been outdoors in the summer, with no member of the family been left out of the equation

Next up Djurs . . .

HighExtreme

Re: Scandilicious by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/28/08 9:44:47 AM

> So we did the spinning mouse, the cars were continuously
> moving through the station, there was only one person
> operating the ride who was mainly there to chat to people
> as they got in, it seemed the ride operated itself
> (something you don’t usually see on a reverchon mouse)

Bizarre!

> Rapids had a really long route and a lot of geysers, the
> log flume was the same layout as Great Yarmouth's, that
> sneaky tiny second drop is always the wettest

Fantastic! I've always wondered whether Gt Yarmouth's is custom or a clone, and now I finally know!

> The forest assault
> course was definitely the compensation nation would never
> allow in the UK,

Jai looks like he's in Robin Hood!

> I'd heard reports that Falken had got rough and was
> unpleasant, so wasn't expecting much, thankfully this
> proved to be untrue,

That's great, I'm really pleased and surprised. I honestly think a well-designed woodie lasts. Of course, you need some maintenance, but in the most rough "cases", it's clearly one or two lesser-designed parts of the ride that need the most maintenance.

> It had a cool feature of been able to choose different
> routes to reach the bottom pool,

That is very cool indeed.

> Lynet is brilliant, it kind of reaffirms the launch part
> in a launch coaster doesn't have to be intimidating, just a
> neat way of woooshing into the start of the ride,

I wholeheartedly agree. What I'm really pleased about is the fact this park has been able to get a 2nd coaster so soon after Falken. Though as you say, the focus is not on an excessive amount of rides, which is also a good thing.

Re: Scandilicious by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 6/28/08 4:03:49 PM

Wow, those parks look brilliant and what can I say...a brilliant trip report that's superb to read with great pictures. Brilliant stuff.

Chris.

Re: Scandilicious by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 7/4/08 10:44:42 AM

Day three and our final park, from Aarhus we got the direct bus/admission combo ticket for 215DKK (around £22)

There is some unwritten law that Danish theme park busses must drop you at the road entrance to the park and you have to walk a mile through the woods to reach the entrance gate – Piraten has been built right at the front of the park, it seems this has pushed the admissions area forward, as once through the turnstiles, there was what was blatantly the old admission kiosks/gate had been converted into shops selling sweets, ice cream and fresh fruit

Photobucket

Just like Farup, Djurs has a lot of leisure activities included in the entrance fee, dune buggie racers, go karting, crazy golf, crazy bicycle track, shooting range and an outdoor water park, however Djurs is set up more like a normal theme park, divided into themed lands with more of a focus on the rides

Thor's Hammer is the park's G'sengte Sau clone, a fantastic ride, but for me the Tripsdrill one has the edge as the themeing is done slightly better and adds a lot more to the experience

Photobucket

Djurs' log flume is another Gt Yarmouth/Farup clone layout, you could reach the ride entrance by walking down some stairs or of course taking the enclosed slide down the hill

Next to the flume ride is the Huss Topple Tower, Ornen, this is a wonderful spectator ride it looks very impressive from the ground, sadly it rode a little disappointing, it just felt "why, this is a little odd" to be on it, I kind of expected it to do a bit more

The wild west section featured a very long fully themed rapids, with geysers (notice the pattern emerging!) and a wave swinger with water jets, which mid cycle would stop then continue the remainder of the ride backwards!

The African section contained a long, slow cruise through a jungle of animatronic animals, which after completing the first circuit the operator dispatched us again, against our wishes!

In the middle of the boat ride was the Tarzanland assault course a scramble through revolving net cage tunnels, over tipping balance beams positioned above an actual marsh and a hop over the skipping stones "takeshi's castle" style

Photobucket

Mexico Land is where we first discovered the sweet taste of spunk (pictured bottom left above) kind of fruit gum sweets, very nice it was too!

Speedy Gonzales looks like your typical 4 lane racing waterslide, however there is something missing . . . the staff! You operate the entire ride yourself! Once at the top you collect your dinghy from the lift, plop it down on the launch tray, when the light goes green you can press the start button to launch the boat up onto the slide . . . crazy! Of course you put your own raft back on the lift conveyor when you're at the bottom, I gave it a hearty shove and thought of Graeme everytime (see his Paultons TR!)

One of the highlights of the day were the Moon-Karts (I remember Lightwater and Kinderland used to have these) you sat on a small seat and peddled this small cart with levers to turn the wheels left or right around a big grid with traffic lights and a petrol station . . honestly we had a laugh!

Djurs waterpark was much larger than Farups, it featured a wave pool, tipping bucket structure, wedge slide, racing slope, black hole, some falling to pieces 1970s flumes and a concrete rapids

Photobucket

Piraten then! First of all I admit I over hyped this coaster too much during its construction, consequently I didn't enjoy it as much as perhaps I should have, and didn't think it was as good as Lynet

Its still an excellent coaster, the fast cable lift, the first drop is super, that first on the ground helix is surprisingly intense, I greyed out on the first time around that thing, the airtime comes into play from the third hill in and stays as the train glides over every hop and twisty hop until the soft stop at the end of the ride

The themeing is a nice touch, but its restricted to the station and the courtyard they've made behind this to contain the cattle pen queue line, it's kind of a shame as the tall pirate fort walls block out the view of the ride

Despite the personal overhype(/initial let down) I really like Piraten, I can see this design been very successful for Intamin, Djurs have done the right thing by personalising theirs a bit more with the themeing, the operator was even dressed as a Pirate

* This Post Has Been Modified *

HighExtreme

Re: Scandilicious by JaiB JaiB Profile at 7/4/08 10:56:58 AM

I cant really add much more to the final part of this TR, as in all honesty it was a brilliant trip, never laughed so much at some of the things we did, done & saw on this trip...

Piraten was supposed to be the "star of the show" but as Stu said Lynet determinately stole the crown, with its crazy tophat-twisty-ness...

One note though Djurs has used ample amounts of sand under piraten which isn't great when its been blown at gale force into your face, but other then that and the grey outs its a brilliant ride ha!

JaiB!

Re: Scandilicious by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 7/4/08 8:10:31 PM

Great TR as always.

I totally understand what you said about Piraten. At first it looks nice and all, but in the end I want my Intamin-coasters to be huge!!! I think the design would be great if it would have a launch instead of a lifthill. This layout instead of Rita/Desert Race would make for a great coaster.

Lynet, on the other hand looks great and I am sure that they payed less for a better coaster experience.

StellaVista

Re: Scandilicious by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/7/08 4:21:24 PM

> Djurs' log flume is another Gt Yarmouth/Farup clone
> layout, you could reach the ride entrance by walking down
> some stairs or of course taking the enclosed slide down the
> hill

Another one! I must say, the theming makes all the difference, and I like the tall shack by the drop. Nice idea about the slide down to it too.

> The African section contained a long, slow cruise through a
> jungle of animatronic animals,

I was just thinking about this type of ride the other day, and that there should be more! I was taking a river boat ride at the time and wanted to see a hippo or crocodile!

> Of course you put your own raft back on the lift
> conveyor when you're at the bottom, I gave it a hearty
> shove and thought of Graeme everytime (see his Paultons
> TR!)

Hooray! Hearty shoves must be applied all round!

Interesting what you say about Piraten. It's funny how some manufacturers' rides seem great even at small sizes (Gerstlauer's, for one example) and others less so. That said, I'd still prefer a 100ft Intamin to 200ft, personally.

I've particularly enjoyed this thread and I genuinely think the Scandinavian parks look the most appealing in Europe. It seems those countries, along with the Netherlands and Germany have really got it sussed right now.

By the way, what is that circular ride at Liesberg that looks like a sit-down version of a Round-Up?

Re: Scandilicious by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 7/9/08 11:34:39 AM

^The "sit-down Round-Up" is a ride called "Galactica" and was manufatcured by SDC in Italy in the mid-80s.
It is a pretty g-force heavy ride that would spin pretty fast. Furthermore the whole construction can slowly rotate around itself. (Like a Hully-Gully, but slower).

http://www.rides-in-motion.de/blog/?p=182

There was also a similar ride that wouldn´t rotate around itself, but the gondola could be raised and lowered to different angles (similar to a Chance Chaos) and would almost reach 90°. I think this was also build by SDC and was called Centrox
http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index%20Pages/centrox.html

StellaVista

Re: Scandilicious by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/10/08 9:53:02 AM

Thank you kindly, TrickTrack.

Re: Scandilicious by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 7/11/08 1:25:14 PM

> ^The "sit-down Round-Up" is a ride called
> "Galactica" and was manufatcured by SDC in Italy
> in the mid-80s.
> It is a pretty g-force heavy ride that would spin pretty
> fast. Furthermore the whole construction can slowly rotate
> around itself. (Like a Hully-Gully, but slower).

yep its a very sickening horrible, not stu-friendly ride

the operator had a tv remote control which lowered the restraints, this made us chuckle though!

Re: Scandilicious by hatt at 9/2/08 4:32:20 AM

just coming back from a weekend in Denmark, I have to add my personal opinion:

First of all, GCI did a great job with the retracking of the first half of Falken. It runs really smooth right now and is, despite the Gerstlauer trains, a great coaster. If they'll finish the helix this winter, it will be a perfect coaster once again...

Concerning Lynet I expected a lot and wasnt dissapointed at all. The launch is absolutely fantastic in the small cars, the airtime is hilarious, the inversions are great and the theming very well done! Unfortunately it suffered some minor technical issues during this day so we saw some breakdowns and only two-car-operation. Other negative aspect: sometimes the ride is a little bit on the shaky part. There aren't any problems with the OSTR, but it's just not as smooth as you would expect it from a brand-new coaster. Maybe it's the very elevated position of the chassis or the small upstop wheels, I dont know. But it is not as bad as it might sound now. It's a great coaster and I'm really looking forward to the Plopsaland (and Hansa Park?) one.

Piraten though, I have to disagree with you, as I think, that it is a perfect coaster for its size. Incredible airtime, nice g-forces and great fun from start till the end. But I will never understand the train design of Intamin. It's so horrible to squeeze your feet into the little space and I wonder why Intamin never tried to improve that. At least it's not the first coaster with this train design.

The area around Piraten is definitely a bit empty right now but I'm sure, that the park knows that and will change that in the next couple of years.

Anyways: two stunning coasters for Denmark and I'm quite jealous looking at the development of scandinavian parks in the last years. A picture link will follow in the next days

Re: Scandilicious by Graeme Graeme Profile at 9/2/08 8:55:45 AM

Good to know your opinions, hatt.

> First of all, GCI did a great job with the retracking of
> the first half of Falken. It runs really smooth right now
> and is, despite the Gerstlauer trains, a great coaster. If
> they'll finish the helix this winter, it will be a perfect
> coaster once again...

Did this coaster ever have PTC trains? Before it was built, I thought it was going to have 3-bench PTCs. Good to hear GCI are sorting it out though.

> Piraten though, I have to disagree with you, as I think,
> that it is a perfect coaster for its size. Incredible
> airtime, nice g-forces and great fun from start till the
> end. But I will never understand the train design of
> Intamin. It's so horrible to squeeze your feet into the
> little space and I wonder why Intamin never tried to
> improve that. At least it's not the first coaster with this
> train design.

Yes indeed!

Re: Scandilicious by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 9/2/08 10:14:46 AM

I've always wanted to do the Scandanavian parks, and this is the reason why!

Stu, when you mentioned some rattling on Lynet, doesn't Gerstlauer's Euro Fighters' rattle too? One last thing, when you said you greyed out on Piraten's helix, did you also grey out on Millennium Force as well?

Re: Scandilicious by hatt at 9/2/08 11:04:00 AM

> Good to know your opinions, hatt.

> First of all, GCI did a great job with the retracking of
> the first half of Falken. It runs really smooth right now
> and is, despite the Gerstlauer trains, a great coaster. If
> they'll finish the helix this winter, it will be a perfect
> coaster once again...

> Did this coaster ever have PTC trains? Before it was built,
> I thought it was going to have 3-bench PTCs. Good to hear
> GCI are sorting it out though.

No, it always had the Gerstlauer ones...

Re: Scandilicious by hatt at 10/9/08 6:43:25 AM

Finally: the pictures from denmark