Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Orlando parks tr

Orlando parks tr

ross_keen

Posted:
6/16/08 at
12:45:45 AM

Views: 907

11 days into a 14 dayer in Orlando. So far I've been to

Seaworld
busch gardens
epcot
MGM studios
universal studios
universal studios islands of adventure
magic kingdom

If I wasn't writing this on my iPod I'd trip review the now but it'll take ages so I'll do it in 3 days.

But all I'll say for now is that if I only get to ride 5 coasters for the rest of my life then sheikra and hulk would definitely be in there!

Re: Orlando parks tr by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/16/08 10:46:12 AM

Glad you enjoyed it! Looking forward to hearing about Kraken too.

Re: Orlando parks tr by ross_keen at 6/21/08 1:29:34 PM

Okay here goes:

Not going to review the ride ops at each park as they were all fantstic and not one wasnt cheery.

We arrived late on the Thursday night and therefore we (me and the lady - who hates coasters) chose Seaworld as our first park as it isnt as ride orientated. It was also about 200 yards from our hotel - we overlooked Atlantis and Kraken so the view was good.

We bought a 14 day flexticket for £130 each before we left the UK so all parks except Disney were 'free' to get into.

Into Seaworld where it was straight to Atlantis. I was desperate to ride this because last time I was there it was due to open 2 days after I left. Queue time was about 15 mins - which compared to some guide books I read - was incredibly short. Overall it was an ok ride. The storyline was being played but it was too quiet so it couldn't be heard. The 2 drops are good, but there wasnt any element of surprise at all, both were obviously coming. Overall I enjoyed it - but it was the worst out of all the water rides I was on all holiday. (Mainly because I could follow the Splash Mountain storyline).

Onto Kraken which had no (honestly!) queue whatsoever. Dragged the mrs on and this coaster gets the credit with turning her, as she wanted to go straight back on. Very smooth ride and very clever as from the park you can only see 2 loops. However from the lifthill you look down and can see a further 5 or so.

My only gripe would be that you are meant to be riding the back of a mythical seabeast. The queue area (although we walked straight through it) isnt themed at all. You pretty much just walk through a giant metal shed.

Then we did all the usual animal stuff which was fantastic.

Next we went to Epcot because I still wasnt in a big queueing kind of mood yet.

Straight in and walked to Test Track - another ride opening shortly after I left the last time I visited. No queue at all and straight on. Fantastic ride. Good special effects and when the car goes outside and accelerates the experience is amazing (and very very hot). After we came off we got a FastPass for an hour later.

Went and rode the Golf Ball Spaceship Earth. Very slow trip showing our trip through the ages. Good ride to get out of the heat, but wouldnt fancy queueing much more than ten mins to get on it.

Over to Soarin' next, a handgliding simulator. Absolutley amazing as you are sat in rows of 5 and lifted about 30 feet off the floor and tilted towards an IMAX type screen. Very realistic and as you fly through lemon fields you can smell the lemons. Again we barely queued but as we came off the queue time had jumped to 45 mins.

Onto Honey I Shrunk the Audience, an old favourite. Hasnt changed one bit in ten years although some of the effects were broken and slightly dated in this day and age.

Back to Test Track with the Fastpass and straight past the 130 minute queue. Again a fantastic ride.

Then we did the World Showcase and I had a pint in every country and the rest is a blur. Although the "United Kindom" area seems to be based completey on Ye Olde Yorkshire and not anything like the actual UK today (so I'd imagine all the other countries are stereotypical also).

Next was Islands of Adventure - by far my favourite park.

We bought 2 passes at roughly £15 each that allowed us 1 queue jump on every ride. I'd recommend this to anyone as the Hulk was over 3 hours at points during the day. Also, as you queue jump, they scan the ticket, meaning that you only get on once. However most ride attendant scanners weren't working and therefore our ticket got us on everything at least twice (Bit naughty but I'll take it while I'm getting it).

Straight onto Hulk, which I've only ever seen pics of or in the film House on Haunted Hill. Amazing launch, topped of by the immediate corkscrew as you come out. Again very very smooth and unlike Kraken, the queue area was well themed to give of a Bruce ? laboratory effect.

Onto Spiderman - my favourite ride in the park. 3D adventure where you are in a car that travels around on rails and can be spun. Very realistic and there's a point where Doc Oc drags you up onto a roof and drops you. The scenery moves so that you feel like you're going up and the car tilts as you drop. I had to ask a ride op if we had ever been lifted up during the ride and he said we never left the ground - the effect is that good. Again the queue was over an hour but we skipped with our pass and managed to get on again later in the day.

Next was my favourite water ride of the trip Dudley Do Rights Ripsaw Falls. Never watched the cartoon so never followed the story but the drop is amazing (its on Youtube) with a hump for plenty airtime. We got soaked but didnt mind as it was 96f.

Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges was next and is simply a rapids ride where 12 people sit in the round biscuit like carriage. I have never been so wet in my life. Soaked through. We went through 2 or 3 waterfalls - and I mean right through them - and passers buy can pay 25c to soak you with guns at the side. Good ride but even in the heat we took ages to dry.

Dr Doom's freefall was next - the first ride the mrs flatly refused. The ride is essentially a BPB Ice Blast / Playstation hybrid. My biggest disappointment was the size of it. BPB's is MUCH bigger. But its a weird feeling being shot out of a room, not a wide open space like BPB. Above you is also a ledge so you cant see the top of the ride whilst you're on it, meaning you enjoy the blast up, but hope you arent going off the top!

Next was Duelling Dragons - 2 Nemesis (sorry I dont know my coaster jargon) type coasters intertwined. They leave the station at the same time and at one point come within 12 inches (according to advertising literature - so probably a bit further away) of each other. However unless you're in the front row, the effect of the other train rushing towards you then pulling away at the last second is wasted, as you cant see it. Enjoyable ride but much rougher than any coaster so far.

The 2 coasters are Fire and Ice. We rode Ice (you pick as you approach the end of the queue) but I've heard Fire is more intense - the queue was too big to reride. The queue line for the ride involves entering a castle and into the Dragon's lair. We queue skipped and honestly it took about 10 mins to get to the ride, the queue area is that long.

Next up was Jurassic Park - amazing. Boat holds about 45 seated in rows of 5. Starts off with a leisurely cruise through some dinosaur pens, beautiful waterfalls etc. However a dinosaur pops up beside the boat and "diverts" it into a research area. Speakers on the boat come on and its a walkie talkie of a guy with comments such as "the raptors are loose!" and "oh god the tour groups in there, get them out!!". Sparks fly from electrical equipment thats broken and fences are ripped down. We go up a hill to escape into a large concrete building where we are to be rescued. However we then hear our rescuer being eaten as he screams over his mike "its a t rex". As it come towards us we drop down the largest water drop in the world (again, per the adverts) and make a huge splash, but we remain dry.

Decide to buy the picture and that is a big gripe of the parks. The average picture cost about £11, way above what I'm used to paying.

Finaly we rode Poseidon's (Something) - I forget. Its a walkthrough ride with a guide and about 80 other people. Amazing special effects with lots of water. Kind of hard to describe but I wouldnt queue any more than 30 mins for it.

After this we ate and drank - reasonably priced due to the exchange rate and had one more ride of everything. An excellent theme park.

Been rabbiting on for a while now so I'll leave it there and update the rest when I'm at work and not on my own time!!

I will put my tin hat on in preparation though because when I review the Magic Kingdom I will say that I think Space Mountain is a steaming big pile of crap, which is not worth queueing for.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Re: Orlando parks tr by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/26/08 9:18:46 AM

> Onto Kraken which had no (honestly!) queue whatsoever.

Argh, what a shame! All the times I've wanted to ride a Floorless and there's one sitting unappreciated!

> Good special effects
> and when the car goes outside and accelerates the
> experience is amazing (and very very hot).

Why is it hot? Just because of the weather?

> Over to Soarin' next, a handgliding simulator. Absolutley
> amazing as you are sat in rows of 5 and lifted about 30
> feet off the floor and tilted towards an IMAX type screen.
> Very realistic and as you fly through lemon fields you can
> smell the lemons.

I'd love to have one of these over here.

> Again very very
> smooth and unlike Kraken, the queue area was well themed to
> give of a Bruce ? laboratory effect.

Yes, Bruce Banner. Changed to David Banner only for the '70s TV series.

(Popeye:)
> Good ride but even in the heat
> we took ages to dry.

Hmm, sounds excessive.

> Dr Doom's freefall was next - the first ride the mrs flatly
> refused. The ride is essentially a BPB Ice Blast /
> Playstation hybrid. My biggest disappointment was the size
> of it. BPB's is MUCH bigger.

Now that's odd. I thought Space Shots were all approx 180-200ft. Could it be that this is a 90ft Double Shot?

> Next was Duelling Dragons - 2 Nemesis (sorry I dont know my
> coaster jargon) type coasters intertwined.

Inverted.

> Enjoyable ride but much rougher than
> any coaster so far.

Well I never! (I don't mean that sarcastically.)

> Decide to buy the picture and that is a big gripe of the
> parks. The average picture cost about £11, way above what
> I'm used to paying.

Wow!!

Glad you enjoyed it.

Re: Orlando parks tr by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 6/28/08 4:09:38 PM

We are off to Florida next year and all I can say is... I can't wait!!!!!!

Chris.

Re: Orlando parks tr by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 6/28/08 5:31:17 PM

> Onto Kraken which had no (honestly!) queue whatsoever.
> Argh, what a shame! All the times I've wanted to ride a
> Floorless and there's one sitting unappreciated!

The rides at SeaWorld rarely have long waits, i think people still see this park as an animal attraction and don't go for the rides

Kraken is one of my fave coasters, i like the corner before the first drop (Dragon Khan style) its nice to appreciate the height you've climbed on a coaster before the madness unfolds

the zero g roll on kraken is a huge highlight, i've always liked the big floaty banked turn before you dive underground, its always fun to wave at the spectators on the adjoining viewing platform

Medusa (east) is still my fave floorless

> Now that's odd. I thought Space Shots were all approx
> 180-200ft. Could it be that this is a 90ft Double Shot?

Its operated in space shot mode, but it is the size of a double shot (90ft) you do climb up a few floors to reach the loading station, each side of the door is accessed by some sliding elevator style doors they did very well to hide the other 4 sides of the ride car - although you often see the riders before getting off the ride as the doors slide open

> We are off to Florida next year and all I can say is...
> I can't wait!!!!!!

Stu's Must Do's
- Soarin' (best simulation ride ever. fact.)
- Test Track
- Transist Authority (never a queue a nice break / trip above tomorrowland and into some of the ride buildings)
- Monsters Inc Laugh Floor Comedy Club (very cool how they do some of it live/interact with auidence)
- Kilamajaro Safari (very inspiring)
- Spiderman (just awesome)
- Men in Black
- Revenge of the Mummy (possibly best coaster experience in Orlando)
- Montu/Shreikra/Scorpion/Kumba/Rhino Rally (busch gardens is worth the trek, if you have a flex ticket you get a courtsey bus)
- Disco h2o (4 person raft bowl slide with disco music/lights)
- Behind the Scenes SeaWorld Tours (recommend the predator tour, get to go behind the scenes at shamu and shark encounter)

HighExtreme

Re: Orlando parks tr by d_n_s_u at 6/29/08 1:55:49 PM

I love reading Florida (and in particular DWF) Trs to see how people's experiences compared with mine.

I find myself nodding in agreement and transporting myself back whenever I read them.

I posted this family's 2007 DWF TR on these hallowed boards some time back: Here on Europe Boards in episodic parts and on America boards in one fell swoop:

Click and read below if you have the stamina! :-)

DWF

Re: Orlando parks tr by ross_keen at 6/30/08 5:05:41 AM

> Stu's Must Do's
> - Soarin' (best simulation ride ever. fact.)

Yeah it was the best simulator we were on all holiday. By far the most realistic simulator I've ever been on. Even ducked when the golf ball flew by.

> - Revenge of the Mummy (possibly best coaster experience in
> Orlando)

Havent typed up 2nd part of TR yet as I'm snowed under at work but my favourite bit is when you think the ride is over and the control booth is telling you to wait patiently, then a mummy gets her.

> - Montu/Shreikra/Scorpion/Kumba/Rhino Rally (busch gardens
> is worth the trek, if you have a flex ticket you get a
> courtsey bus)

Yeah we used the free courtesy bus, only annoying thing is that most people apparently are unable to queue and surge forward the minute the bus appears.

> - Disco h2o (4 person raft bowl slide with disco
> music/lights)

Rode this 4 times. Amazing if not one of the most weird experiences I've had at a water park!