Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Trip Report: Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach 15.6.8

Trip Report: Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach 15.6.8

britcitchris britcitchris Profile

Posted:
6/15/08 at
8:08:05 PM

Views: 3434

As a Fathers Day treat, the family and I went to Yarmouth for the day. We arrived just before 1 pm and parked right next to the Pleasure Beach. The park was quiet all afternoon with walk on rides. The weather was cloudy with spots of rain when we arrived but later it turned out really lovely and warm.

Admission was £16 for an all day wrist band and I feel this is great value. Tokens are £1 each and as there are plenty of toddler rides, we will get Britcit Jnr a wrist band next time as he enjoyed the lot! With your wrist bands, you also get half price vouchers for evening wristbands in July/August and also vouchers for free kids to the Sea Life Centre. Impressive.
We all really enjoyed our day and racked up a decent ride count:

Disko x 1 – This ride really flew today. Compared to my last ride, two years ago, it was smooth as you like, fast and you really felt like it was going to come off the end. Excellent fun.

Mulan x 1 – A traditional Caterpillar ride. An oldie but goodie.

Fun House x 1 – Beginning to look a bit run down inside but still fun.

Dodgems x 2 – Fast and fun with a relaxed attitude to bumping. Bone Jarringly good.

Evolution x 1 - A unique flat ride that's very tall and it's moderate pace is a nice change from daft speeds. However the car is very uncomfortable and you slip around far too much when upside down.

Sky Drop x 2 – Fun but it made me miss Big Ben at Funderworld.

Monorail x 1 – A great way to get some close up, aerial views of Roller Coaster.

Roller Coaster x 2 – World Class woodie in a league of it’s own (especially after Margate’s got badly burnt). Different brakeman on our second go and he was more cautious with the brake. Our first go really flew. Superb.

Waltzer x 1 – A fairground classic. Not very long ride time and no staff to spin the cars. Booo!

Twister x 2 – Another classic. Great fun.

Wild Thing x 1 – A new addition to the park but not a new ride per se. Cars on the end of hydraulic arms that jump up and down as it goes round. I laughed through nearly all of the ride. Lots of fun. It stands where Terminator used to be.

Log Flume x 1 – Looking really dated now but still fun. We got pretty splashed all the way round.

We did a couple of side stalls (something we usually avoid) and I learnt the following: No matter how much I adjusted my aim with the air rifles, I still hit the very same spot….Bizarre. We also had some food when we arrived. I can’t recommend the Jumbo Sausage Baguette at all. It’s only a soft bread that is used (that quickly falls apart) and the sausage is pretty tasteless.

Other thoughts of our day: I was very impressed with the inside of the arcade at Wellington Pier; very nice indeed. The rebuild of the rear of the pier is miles away from being finished though. On the walk back to the car (after a delicious tea at Pizza Hut), we must have passed 50 odd cars with boy/girl racers. Surely the police are on to this? The promenade is prime time real estate for drag racing and general chav gathering. As we passed the hoards, the showing off with dangerous driving had already started. Tut.

Here are some pics of the day. Please excuse the quality as these were taken with my camera phone.

Evolution. It's better watching it...trust me.

Pirates Cove Adventure Golf pic 1

Pirates Cove Adventure Golf pic 2

Pirates Cove Adventure Golf pic 3

The impressive front of Yesterday's World Emporium.

Big Screen on the sea front...why? Want to watch tele? Then don't go out for the day. It's logic, really.

The Winter Gardens look amazing inside. Very nice indeed.

The Log Flume looks pretty crude, still. It is still fun to ride though.

The Bungie Swing Foundations. Imagine if the flume was extended into this space and properly themed....

The Haunted Hotel. Great themeing.

The Monorail Station looks pretty smart.

A nicely painted train arrives to deliver woodie goodness. Not sure on the colour, though.

The turnaround section of the Roller Coaster looks pretty lonely...

Side view of the return to the station.

*Assumes Murray Walker voice*, "The Light's green and it's go, go, go!!" Ahem.....Sorry. But seriously, how many coasters have such a great asthetic start before the hill lift?

Roller Coaster From The Monorail

Stand by, we're going in!

Through the Roller Coaster and out to sea! Damn, I forgot my speedos.

My fave pic of Roller Coaster (so far).

Two more pics of Roller Coaster..Can you guess my fave my ride at Yarmouth pleasure Beach?!!

Sky Drop. It's lots of fun especially bouncing back up, but it pales in comparison to Funderworld's Big Ben.

Thanks for reading.

Chris.

Re: Trip Report: Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach 15.6.8 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/16/08 10:57:38 AM

> Other thoughts of our day: I was very impressed with the
> inside of the arcade at Wellington Pier; very nice indeed.
> The rebuild of the rear of the pier is miles away from
> being finished though.

Yes, I love the arcade. I'm surprised the pier/theatre isn't rebuilt yet, as I expected to see it this year.

> The Winter Gardens look amazing inside. Very nice indeed.

Yeah, I like them too.

> *Assumes Murray Walker voice*, "The Light's green and
> it's go, go, go!!" Ahem.....Sorry. But seriously, how
> many coasters have such a great asthetic start before the
> hill lift?

Indeed!

Anyway Chris, glad you enjoyed it. Brilliant photos!

Re: Trip Report: Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach 15.6.8 by d_n_s_u at 6/16/08 1:57:46 PM

Great report Chris.

A certain Mr Cassidy wrote a great Great Yarmouth article a couple of years back for themagiceye which started out as a post on here: The post was called Pants and Piers if I remember rightly.

Graham Cassidy's Great Yarmouth Chronicles will be back up soon on themagiceye. :-)

I really need to go there particularly after seeing the photos Chris.

Re: Trip Report: Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach 15.6.8 by leon leon Profile at 6/24/08 1:12:19 PM

What exactly happened to the bungee swing?

It was there...

...and now it's gone!

Forgive me if I've missed something or havent't been paying attention...

Re: Trip Report: Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach 15.6.8 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/26/08 9:28:38 AM

> What exactly happened to the bungee swing?

> It was there...

> ...and now it's gone!

> Forgive me if I've missed something or havent't been paying
> attention...

Yeah, it's the sort of ride you only subconsciously notice (mainly because I've never seen anyone use it). Actually, wasn't it a Reverse Bungee?

I reckon the big wheel is going there (although we can always hope for a coaster!)

Re: Trip Report: Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach 15.6.8 by d_n_s_u at 6/28/08 6:20:29 AM

Graeme's article should be live on themagiceye sometime today.

The articles by Chris (here on URC) and Graeme are fantastic adverts for the resort.

As Mr C once said: Viva La Seaside! :-)

Gt Yarmouth Chronicles

Re: Trip Report: Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach 15.6.8 by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 6/28/08 6:46:11 AM

> Graeme's article should be live on themagiceye sometime
> today.

"Pants & Piers" was a classic TR it's great to see it expanded on the magiceye, further establishing Graeme as the Clive James of the seaside!

I always remember Graeme's amusement review website, luckily some ofi t survives in the internet achive, it had a great feature with some older photos of
Great Yarmouth
and nostaligic commentary underneath the photos by Graeme and Shane Whiting, particularly on Snails and the Roller Coaster

The 2 person commentary inspired the way i laid out my own website

HighExtreme

Re: Trip Report: Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach 15.6.8 by d_n_s_u at 6/28/08 7:09:43 AM

Funnily enough Amusement Review inspired themagiceye too!

There's nothing better than well written TRs and URC attracts without doubt some of the very best in my humble opinion.

- Nod to Stu's and Jai's TR here to Denmark as well..Love the take on the (in)famous Danish football commentary at the beginning! :-)

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Gt Yarmouth Chronicles

Re: Trip Report: Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach 15.6.8 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/28/08 10:16:45 AM

Aw, shucks! :)

I saw a nice little programme the other day - "Suggs' Survivors". He rode the Great Yarmouth Roller Coaster and looked at Peter Jay's Circus in the Hippodrome building.

The title credits also suggest there's an episode featuring the Crystal Palace dinosaurs.

I suspect it's all on YouTube.

Re: Trip Report: Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach 15.6.8 by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 6/28/08 3:54:46 PM

Thanks! I have been going to Yarmouth since being a nipper (and can remember the Alpine themeing on Roller Coaster). Thanks for the review praise!

Chris.