Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Wiped out

Wiped out

nick_fanta

Posted:
6/1/08 at
6:56:07 AM

Views: 1198

hi folks
first of all i would like to thanks you for the below reviews of thunderworld, it arrived and we are local to it.

so instead of taking the kids to it we decided to head to the hills of plesure that are made of wood after hearing on KISS that when you say kiss when buying your tickets you get in for eleven pounds not a stupid amount of 17 (how can they justify that). when you enter the first thing you see is a big sign saying wipeout will open at 11:30????? surely as their biggest attraction it should open with the park.
so we head around the park the cannonball has now completly changed all the nameing to enigma. still on one train with staff delaying the train for no reason at the end of the ride and when loaded. the only thing this achived was a que and this ride is not worth queing for.

the tales f the coast runs so slow its embassing to sit on but as we were going around we where chatting to a lovelly couple and we (during the time of the ride) decided that if they turned that into a ghost train on water woud be awsome as its dark slow and naturally creepy.

then their star attraction
web stats 760 people per hour
my stats 60 people per hours (timed)
they opened at 11:25 after the staff stood talking for a while

still have two cars not in use and manually releasing the restraints and they take a hard to justify 20 mins between rides.
we got our ride.

then at 1:00pm the curse returns it breaks down apparently as it was being winched up part of the train broke free!!!!!!!!

it opened again at 4 till 5

so this ride has taken has taken 3 years so far and its still not working correctly!!!!

the place has masses of space give us something worth the entrace fee.
the area that had been cleared before (rapids was spoke about) has now got the caravans for the circus.

belive this some rides shutdown between 12:00 and 2:00 for lunch
i found that hard to accept and think thats not justified a simple sign stating closed for lunch is not and excuse for sloppy staff management.

highlite of the day was some dude on the rattle snake puting on a show for the kids all day getting them to enjoy him aswell as the ride, the ride itself is rough now and needs work.

but if they got ride of it then that area would become empty as it the only thing people go down there for
coke £1.60!!!!!!!!! at least robin hood only stole for the rich
to sum op 11 each to get in was just worth it IF all rides where running

i genuenly belived when the current owner bought this park they was going to do soemthing with it.

so far i see first year making them to wear sily uniform with hats (now gone thankfully)
2 3 4 5 6 till sell park
trying to sort out 20 year old roller coaster with staff not capable

i dont know if you feel the same about this

i am sending this to thier website as a comment when i get a reply i will post it here.

Re: Wiped out by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 6/2/08 9:36:42 AM

If you go on to the 'contact us' page on PWH's website, email Denise Thompson, she'll reply, and she's very helpful.

I never knew they closed rides for lunch? Isn't it £15 to get? they do have loads of promotions, uncluding year passses, and they still have the return vouchers, so you'll only really pay full price once!

Though I agree about Wipeout. They got that train from Holland as the other one was knackered, but this one seems the bloody same! I really would have thought they'd have it sorted by now!

And for some reason, they wont run Wipeout unless it has 10 people riding! How stupid, its hardly going to stall!

Re: Wiped out by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/2/08 10:12:21 AM

> so we head around the park the cannonball has now completly
> changed all the nameing to enigma. still on one train with
> staff delaying the train for no reason at the end of the
> ride and when loaded. the only thing this achived was a que
> and this ride is not worth queing for.

True.

What a waste of money, spending years changing the signs and identity of the ride(s). They should have just given it (them) a refurbishment and lick of paint. It's not as though they have money to burn, is it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't actually bought any brand new rides since they took ownership in 2004.

> the tales f the coast runs so slow its embassing to sit on
> but as we were going around we where chatting to a lovelly
> couple and we (during the time of the ride) decided that if
> they turned that into a ghost train on water woud be awsome
> as its dark slow and naturally creepy.

I think it would be too scary for kids, but the trouble is, so is Tales of the Coast at present. I favour a whimsical, "jolly fishermen at work" type of theme.

> so this ride has taken has taken 3 years so far and its
> still not working correctly!!!!

It was false economy. This sort of trouble is almost inevitable with a 2nd-hand steel coaster as old as that.

This is what I was saying the other day. We've had 2005-2008 (and lots of money) spent on this ride, in one way or another.

> but if they got ride of it then that area would become
> empty as it the only thing people go down there for
> coke £1.60!!!!!!!!! at least robin hood only stole for the
> rich

Wow, that's really, really expensive. £1 is about right for a 500ml Coke (maybe a little bit more now) at a leisure attraction. £1.60 is in rip-off territory, like when you're on a ferry or something.

> i genuenly belived when the current owner bought this park
> they was going to do soemthing with it.

So did I.

> i dont know if you feel the same about this

Yes, I do, and it's a shame because I have absolutely no grudge against the park. I've enjoyed it for 20+ years, and really thought Grevin could improve it.

Re: Wiped out by leon leon Profile at 6/3/08 9:41:49 PM

I think all of the highlights the sadly poor management skills of Grevin. Such a budget to develop a locally-successful theme park has been wasted on, in my opinion 'second-hand crap'. who buys a coster that was created in the 80s and then markets it for three years, has it operating for less than one and the emphasis of it being 'the most extreme in the east'.

May I point out that there are hardly any rollercoasters located in the east of england, and also that the idea of it being extreme can only derive what is, in my opinion a medicore height.

I have huge faith in the park. I have enjoyed it longer than I can remember, but from around 2003 onwards i am enraged and upset.

Is it me or have the entire staff at PWH never seen the operation of a theme park; or, hang on, played Rollercoaster Tycoon?!

;)

Re: Wiped out by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 6/4/08 7:12:06 AM

> still have two cars not in use and manually releasing the
> restraints and they take a hard to justify 20 mins between
> rides.

Closing the rides to go for lunch and this inefficient style of operating them when they're open is definitely not a good thing,

As a regional park, you should be striving to wow your guests, to encourage people to spend more in the park, and tell other people about what a great time they had to encourage them to visit, and even go back themselves more than once

> They got that train from Holland as the other one was
> knackered, but this one seems the bloody same! I really would
> have thought they'd have it sorted by now!

It would have been a better idea just to relocate the whole ride from Holland, it was a relatively new and fully working model, surely it affects the resale value of it, if it doesn’t have a train

Twin Looper would have been a better buy from American Adventure, it's a simple, reliable and importantly enjoyable coaster that would have been a nice addition to any park, i guess the Runaway Train and Wagoon Wheel themed ferris wheel would have been shrewd buys too

> I think all of the highlights the sadly poor management
> skills of Grevin. Such a budget to develop a
> locally-successful theme park has been wasted on, in my
> opinion 'second-hand crap'.

Compagnie De Alpes (Grevin) are the 8th biggest attraction operator in the world! Their portfolio is full of regional parks, I think they have smartened up the business operation at Pleasurewood Hills, they spent a lot in building the staff offices, main street themeing, improving the catering outlets, smartening up the rides, re-naming them, trying to make the park more fresh and modern

I do agree it took too long to build Wipeout (largely due to the struggle to get the planning application) they need to come back with another major ride to compensate for the seasons of letting the guests down

A major themed water ride would be a great move forward

HighExtreme

Re: Wiped out by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/4/08 9:31:09 AM

> May I point out that there are hardly any rollercoasters
> located in the east of england, and also that the idea of
> it being extreme can only derive what is, in my opinion a
> medicore height.

To be fair, they have to say it's the most extreme (which it is), because it's definitely not the best! There are four proper roller coasters in East Anglia (not counting really tiny coasters). They are: Enigma, Wipeout, Rattlesnake and Great Yarmouth's Roller Coaster, which is the best by a country mile!

Re: Wiped out by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 6/4/08 4:31:12 PM

I've just read on EAP Magazin that pleasurewood attracted 213,000 guests last season which was an increase of 13% from 2006!

With such low visitor numbers, its a wonder they were able to install Wipeout

Thinking deeper into this, i guess the relatively isolated location of the park (in terms of major population centres) is a weakness of the park, they'd have to rely heavily on the influx of tourists to Great Yarmouth (and other anglian costal resorts)

HighExtreme

Re: Wiped out by leon leon Profile at 6/5/08 6:14:07 AM

I agree with winged beast. Sourcing a slightly better model (complete) would have eased things slightly.

I think the whole problem should be blamed on Waveney District Council. They delayed and prevented the planning permission for quite some time.

I thought that achieving a good influx of tourism to the area was crucical in not only raising the standards of the theme park, but also of Lowestoft and surrounding areas.

One hider the new owners did that most people would have disagreed with:

> the removal of a flagship ride (Magic Mouse/Mouse Trap)
Yes, of course getting a bigger better ride is excellent but by all means check, doulbe check and re-check that the application for permission to build such a thing has been successful. They may have needed the cash (only possible reason for ridding Mouse Trap?) but the park, from then on had virtually no real crowd puller.

After all it was one of, if not the main attracter to thrill-seekers.

I also, regrettably admit that the place has been smarted up and that Grevin & Cie have performed better than I originally thought to have.

Re: Wiped out by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 6/5/08 7:13:37 PM

I visited Pleasurewood Hills a couple of times over the last few years. When my family and I went in 2005, we loved it! The staff were friendly, the park was well presented and I enjoyed the selection of rides. I also loved the circus, it was world class.

The following year things just didn't gel as well. Enigma was on one train, Mouse was gone and had no replacement and the park just didn't feel complete.

We didn't go last year and I'm glad we didn't what with Wipeout opening starting so late and running into trouble so early. (And still has problems.)

PWH need to make some positive changes asap and restore the faith. It's a lovely little park with a unique charm and deserves to do better. IMO, they should have invested in a Eurofighter. Modern yet small with a cost quite suited to the park.

Chris.

Re: Wiped out by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/7/08 9:56:59 AM

Winged Beast - thanks for the stats. Finally, some reliable visitor numbers! (I can't quote much of your message again, for some reason!)

leon:
> I think the whole problem should be blamed on Waveney
> District Council. They delayed and prevented the planning
> permission for quite some time.

It did delay it, but they had to make sure the data was absolutely correct.

Personally, I blame the parent company. I think the early investment (£5m on theming? £2m on Tales of the Coast?) suggested the plan was to spend far more on a signature ride.

If I recall correctly, there was a change of management at Grevin/CDA, and I don't think they're as keen on the park as the people who decided to buy it in the first place. This is when I suspect they had to settle on a smaller budget for the coaster.

> the removal of a flagship ride (Magic Mouse/Mouse Trap)
> Yes, of course getting a bigger better ride is excellent
> but by all means check, doulbe check and re-check that the
> application for permission to build such a thing has been
> successful. They may have needed the cash (only possible
> reason for ridding Mouse Trap?) but the park, from then on
> had virtually no real crowd puller.

> After all it was one of, if not the main attracter to
> thrill-seekers.

I don't disagree at all! Not only was Magic Mouse their best coaster, now they don't have a good "Family+" coaster, that is to say a coaster like The Vampire or Megafobia - something thrilling but not intimidating.

Chris:
> PWH need to make some positive changes asap and restore the
> faith. It's a lovely little park with a unique charm and
> deserves to do better. IMO, they should have invested in a
> Eurofighter. Modern yet small with a cost quite suited to
> the park.

I 100% agree, and I'm not even fond of EuroFighters! Almost objectively, that would have been a better thrill coaster to buy. It would have been new, for one thing. I think the public can tell the difference. Also, I honestly don't think a small one would have cost any more than the Boomerang.

One thing's for sure, Wipeout has been very well advertised, so I can only conclude that either thrillseekers aren't excited by it (they probably recognise it as something they've ridden before, elsewhere); or Pleasurewood's market isn't interested in anything that scary.

OK, I know it's not that scary for us, but most of my family won't ride it, whereas most of us would go on the Mouse.

Personally, I think a woodie, Mega Lite, Gerstlauer Bobsled (mouse), Mack or Gerstlauer spinning coaster or even a Vekoma hydraulic would suit the park.

Re: Wiped out by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 7/19/08 5:03:22 AM

Like I said earlier, if you have any problem with the park, or your visit was just un-enjoyable, just email Denise, she will reply to you and take it in.

I emailed her about the events that their holding at the park this year, I mentione about the event with them new cars on show from Kings & son, I told her that people aren't going to come to the park just to see new cars on display etc, and mentioned about every entry to the park gets put in a draw to win one of them cars etc, and like 2nd and 3rd places would win annual pass's to the park.

She replied saying that she was going to be having a meeting with Alistar King about this idea next week. She got back to me after saying he didn't like the idea, but still, it goes to show she takes in what people have to say etc.

Re: Wiped out by leon leon Profile at 7/19/08 5:26:16 AM

Graeme is spot on. I think a brand new family coaster for 2009/2010 would be great. Perhaps a Gerstlauer Spinning. THey're fantastic to watch, look great in any park and are brilliant to ride! Or they could continue to thrill 'theme' with wipeout and add a few more decent flats.

PWH just need to listen to it's audience!

Re: Wiped out by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 7/26/08 5:03:17 AM

^ No it doesn't. Pleasurewood's audience is us, coaster enthusiats, and we only make up 5% of the parks visitors, so why would they listen to us?

Re: Wiped out by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/26/08 7:57:34 AM

> ^ No it doesn't. Pleasurewood's audience is us, coaster
> enthusiats, and we only make up 5% of the parks visitors,
> so why would they listen to us?

(I don't mean this to be argumentative, and really hope it doesn't sound it.)

As coaster enthusiasts, we have witnessed other small parks get more for their money, eg. Paultons, Adventure Island, plus quite a few Dutch, German and Danish parks. Cobra at Paultons is much better than a Vekoma Boomerang, and I wouldn't say that unless I had been on both many times.

Secondly, we're not just coaster enthusiasts. A lot of us visited Pleasurewood when it was getting 500,000 visitors, and we know what the park was like then. We also enjoyed it more as a family day out than as coaster enthusiasts, and in fact, this is why I don't see the Boomerang as particularly fitting.

Re: Wiped out by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 7/26/08 11:43:46 AM

Pleasurewood needs a better collection of slightly more original rides to support the park better, and they don't necessarily need a huge budget to achieve this, here's what i'd recommend . . .

Donnerbalken (thunderbox) by Bear Rides - this family tower ride proves you don’t need the height to thrill, a well themed installation would give PWH a real talking point amongst its guests

Action Cinema by Alterface - i've done the Desperados version and was very impressed, the audience sits on rocking horses and mine carts (accommodate younger / disabled guests), armed with a lazer gun you shoot the targets on screen as the movie progresses, at the end of each scene a photograph of the winner and loser (or "ass!") is displayed on the screen!

It's a very enjoyable and repeatable attraction, they also do a pirate themed version and one themed to cleaning up the ocean floor from pollution. The advanatge of a film based attraction of course is its easy to change the film to offer something new every few seasons

Disk'O Coaster by Zamperla - the normal Disk'O rides have proved very sucessful, even for GY Pleasure Beach, a proper park "coatser" version, would be a real winner for PWH and can be themed easily without too much cost, like the Nigoland Grizzly version pictured in the link

Re: Wiped out by leon leon Profile at 7/26/08 1:30:00 PM

> ^ No it doesn't. Pleasurewood's audience is us, coaster
> enthusiats, and we only make up 5% of the parks visitors,
> so why would they listen to us?

That doesn't mean to say that 'regular' guests can't have their own mindful opinions on the condition/rideability/appearance of attractions at other parks. I remember when I was just 'starting out' I liked to think how rides/ride types from other parks would look/fit in PWH, among others.

I think they need to re-organsise the heirachy of the management/parent company; as Graeme said they had a change, which led to a worse ride. What do you reckon they were going to originally buy?

Did they have £3-4 million. More or less?

Re: Wiped out by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/28/08 8:58:39 AM

> I think they need to re-organsise the heirachy of the
> management/parent company; as Graeme said they had a
> change, which led to a worse ride. What do you reckon they
> were going to originally buy?

The rapids, if that plan was ever real. I don't remember a rumour of any other coaster, apart from that they went to Flamingo Land to look at the Booster Bike.

> Did they have £3-4 million. More or less?

I think it was £1.5m, which became £2m. To be fair, that isn't much, which is why I don't blame the management. It does seem anything decent costs £3m nowadays.

I wish I could remember the costs of the other things! Would I be incorrect if I said...?

£5m on initial park refurbishment
£2m on Tales of the Coast
£2m on Wipeout

Re: Wiped out by leon leon Profile at 7/28/08 10:16:53 AM

>I wish I could remember the costs of the other things!
> Would I be incorrect if I said...?

> £5m on initial park refurbishment
> £2m on Tales of the Coast
> £2m on Wipeout

Im not at all doubting you, but I make that £9 million. You could get loads with that?! Far too much on Tales of the Cost, just rip it down and put something else, family-orientated/slow/journey ride in!!!

Re: Wiped out by charliexjx charliexjx Profile at 8/2/08 5:46:02 AM

Greame said "Secondly, we're not just coaster enthusiasts. A lot of us visited Pleasurewood when it was getting 500,000 visitors, and we know what the park was like then. We also enjoyed it more as a family day out than as coaster enthusiasts, and in fact, this is why I don't see the Boomerang as particularly fitting"

Yes, I was one of them aswel, I've visited the park more than noce every year since I was a toddler, I'm now 23.

Wipeout was what the park needed, a signature, thrill ride, on a large scale, Pleasurewood have never had anything like that before!

And I think someone has got confused, they never spent £2m on Tales of the coast. That year they spent £2m on everything they done, all the new restraunts, refurb of rides and the cleaning up of the park.

IMO, as Enigma is only running one train now, I'd like to see it replaced with something like "Rage". I really like Enigma, but its just a pain now, it was such good fun when it had the themeing and was running 3 trains!