Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Ride Accident at Thorpe Park

Ride Accident at Thorpe Park

twpburton

Posted:
5/29/08 at
1:39:04 PM

Views: 18493

Reported in The Sun today. Check out the video on www.thesun.co.uk/news

Yesterday, a bearing fell off the Rush ride at Thorpe Park. (It wasn't reported as a bearing but i've since found out from somebody who works there). The video clearly shows Rush in full swing and something falling into the middle of the ride area. Panic then ensues and the ride is E-Stopped. The camera then zooms in on what appears to be a curved piece of metal OUTSIDE the ride area. I'm not sure what the part is or where it goes on the ride but this isn't good is it!! I love the guy who is filming the video... "British Engineering" lol ... Think you'll find its american mate...

This follows very shortly on from the Stealth incident where it got stuck on the top hat. Granted this was probably not due to mechanical failure (or negligence...) but 6 hours to bring it down?? Especially when they have a procedure which wouldn't have taken that long.

Thorpe Park need a serious think about its rides and engineering. It isn't uncommon to visit the park and an incident occuring, from a bolt coming loose and falling off, or just a simple all day shutdown. If you visit the site, Slammer, Stealth and Rush are all advertised as out of action. I don't think there has been a day since I worked there that all rides have been operational. Comapare this with Disney. It isn't uncommon at all that all rides are working throughout the day. Sure they have minor shutdowns and occasionally something more serious, but that ride is not out of action for more than a few days.

What do Thorpe Park do differently? I used to know a lot of the engineers and they are all extremely competent. So what is the problem?

Thanks for reading!

Tom

Re: RIDE ACCIDENT AT THORPE PARK by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/2/08 9:46:39 AM

That's very serious indeed. All I can say about this is I wonder whose fault it was?

> Thorpe Park need a serious think about its rides and
> engineering. It isn't uncommon to visit the park and an
> incident occuring, from a bolt coming loose and falling
> off, or just a simple all day shutdown. If you visit the
> site, Slammer, Stealth and Rush are all advertised as out
> of action.

It's sad. I know I criticise Thorpe Park a lot even though they are the only UK park that builds many rides BUT I do think there has been a lack of care and planning ever since Colossus, and even more so after Inferno was completed.