Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Advice, please :)

Advice, please :)

snoozypooh snoozypooh Profile

Posted:
5/7/08 at
4:47:42 PM

Views: 1353

Hey everyone!

I hope everyone has been enjoying the parks as they open. It hasn't been a very good year for me, park-wise, so far... I missed opening day at my home park, SFGAm, for the first time since 1999!!! I totally had plans to go, but back in January (right before tax season started), I found a lump on the underside of my breast. The doctor wanted me to get it out right away, but the surgeon said it wasn't time yet, so I put up with the pain until tax season was over, and had it removed on April 21st… It was benign, thank goodness, but the doctor sliced me up pretty good to get it out, and I wasn't healed enough by April 26th (which was SFGAm's opening day…), darn it!! After a week, the stitches came out, but it wasn't all the way closed, so the surgeon put some surgical tape on it to hold it together. It didn't work very well, and I didn't make it to SFGAm the next week, either… It is still not doing very well, and I am hoping to attempt to go first thing on Mother's Day, just to get my Raging Bull, Giant Drop and Viper fix (I get there around 9 am, and have my fixes all done and am ready to go home by 11 am - gotta love the season passes, eh?). It all depends on how my cut is doing. I definitely have to be healed by May 16th because I am planning on attending ACE's Spring Conference at Michigan's Adventure and Indiana Beach (two new to me parks…). I am sure I will be healed before CoasterMania at CP, though, so no worries on that front. My plans for CoasterMania have changed, though. I was going to start at CP, and head east, hitting as many Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks that I could (I have season passes), as well as Astroland. However, my Uncle Richard (in England) has cancer and isn't doing very well, so my mom needs to get over there to see him before it is too late… My mom just had hip replacement surgery on Monday, and has a long road to recovery, but does plan to go to England when she can walk better. My sister's boyfriend doesn't think she should go over there by herself, and has volunteered my services (he would be paying for both of us) to accompany her. I don't have a problem with this, except that I don't have a lot of vacation time, so I will have to sacrifice my east coast trip in order to go to England, except, of course, for the mandatory CoasterMania at CP, and maybe a side trip to Canada's Wonderland right after CoasterMania so my passport (that I got specifically to go to CW) will have a stamp in it before I go to England. I am not too upset, though, because I figured out that while my mom is visiting with the relatives, I could be enjoying Alton Towers, and/or Blackpool Pleasure Beach, and/or Thorpe Park... I am not so sure that any of them are doable, though, as I have to figure out how far away they are from my Uncle's, and if there is any means of transportation to get me there (I don't think anyone else will want to go - I seem to be the only enthusiast in my family…). So, if any of you have ever been to any of the aforementioned parks, maybe you might be able to tell me how far away they are from Manchester, or anything about transportion?

Thanks, and happy coastering!!!

Snoozypooh

Re: Advice, please :) by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 5/7/08 5:32:03 PM

Hi there and welcome back to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your health and I hope you are recovered soon!

As for your request re parks from Manchester...well Blackpool Pleasure Beach is only an hour or so drive from Manchester. Alton Towers will probably be a good 2 hours and Thorpe Park, probably 4 to 5 hours depending on traffic. I'm sure other forum members will correct me if I'm out on my guessing!

If you love wooden coasters then you will love Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Roller Coaster, Big Dipper, Grand National and Wild Mouse are all classic, woodies there. They also have a great hyper coaster called The Pepsi Max Big One.

I hope you make it over and have fun in the parks.

Chris.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Advice, please :) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/8/08 9:28:03 AM

Snoozypooh,

First of all, I wish you, your uncle and all your family the best of health.

As for the parks, I would have thought both BPB and Alton Towers are very feasible from Manchester. I'm afraid I can't help with public transport though.

Here's the site for the AA (Automobile Association):
http://www.theaa.com/

Manchester to Alton Towers = 46.9 miles, 1 hr 16 min
Manchester to BPB = 52.1 miles, 1 hr 3 min

And here's a public transport page:
http://www.nationalexpress.com/home/hp.cfm

Re: Advice, please :) by snoozypooh snoozypooh Profile at 5/9/08 9:16:24 AM

> Hi there and welcome back to the forum!

> Sorry to hear about your health and I hope you are
> recovered soon!

> As for your request re parks from Manchester...well
> Blackpool Pleasure Beach is only an hour or so drive from
> Manchester. Alton Towers will probably be a good 2 hours
> and Thorpe Park, probably 4 to 5 hours depending on
> traffic. I'm sure other forum members will correct me if
> I'm out on my guessing!

> If you love wooden coasters then you will love Blackpool
> Pleasure Beach. Roller Coaster, Big Dipper, Grand National
> and Wild Mouse are all classic, woodies there. They also
> have a great hyper coaster called The Pepsi Max Big One.

> I hope you make it over and have fun in the parks.

> Chris.

Thanks, Chris...

It looks like I will definitely try to get in Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Alton Towers. Thorpe Park is a little bit too far, but I will be happy to do the other two, for sure...

Another thought: I am assuming that, just as it is pretty much in the states, weekdays are less busy than weekends. Am I correct in assuming this?

Thanks again...

Snoozypooh

Re: Advice, please :) by snoozypooh snoozypooh Profile at 5/9/08 9:19:39 AM

> Snoozypooh,

> First of all, I wish you, your uncle and all your family
> the best of health.

> As for the parks, I would have thought both BPB and Alton
> Towers are very feasible from Manchester. I'm afraid I
> can't help with public transport though.

> Here's the site for the AA (Automobile Association):
> Manchester to Alton Towers = 46.9 miles, 1 hr 16 min
> Manchester to BPB = 52.1 miles, 1 hr 3 min

> And here's a public transport page:
> > href="http://www.nationalexpress.com/home/hp.cfm">http://www.nationalexpress.com/home/hp.cfm

Thanks, Graeme...

As I told Chris, I am pretty sure I can do both BPB and AT...
I totally appreciate your input. Those links were awesomely - "awesomely?" tee hee - helpful, and I do appreciate it much.

Thanks again,

Snoozypooh

Re: Advice, please :) by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 5/9/08 7:37:13 PM

You're welcome! And yes, week days are usually quieter, especially when the kids are in school.

* This Post Has Been Modified *