Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Alton Woodie - Preparations start?

Alton Woodie - Preparations start?

britcitchris britcitchris Profile

Posted:
5/7/08 at
2:34:24 PM

Views: 1311

Take a butchers at this and try not to get too excited!

http://www.tbppbguideforums.info/bpb/viewtopic.php?t=6900

Chris.

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 5/7/08 7:29:35 PM

I'm trying to not be excited about this, but it's hard...I may just have to remind myself of the disappointment of '04. But seeing as it's back in the valley (if it is indeed a woodie) I dearly hope it was the proposed Intamin woodie.

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/8/08 9:43:47 AM

> Take a butchers at this and try not to get too excited!

Too late, I'm excited! ;)

Towers Times - John Wardley Spotted

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 5/8/08 10:05:31 AM

> Take a butchers at this and try not to get too excited!

I thought it looked like he was having a pee in the trees as well

Afterall it is hard to find anything let alone the toilets in the complete mess they've made of the ug land layout by the quick addition of Rita :P

I wood-ent get excited at this point,

Merlin have brought a new focus on image and presentation acrosst he resort, so there are lots of paint and things been done to improve the look of the park - the second themed monorail train, this time a pirate themed one, has been added to the system, i'm sure that the short term development plans will involve filling in the unsightly gaps and black holes around the park to make sure it looks its best

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/8/08 3:16:17 PM

> I thought it looked like he was having a pee in the trees
> as well

Yeah, I had a good hoot about that!

> I wood-ent get excited at this point,

> ...i'm sure that the short term
> development plans will involve filling in the unsightly
> gaps and black holes around the park to make sure it
> looks its best

Groan, I bet I know what it is!

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 5/8/08 4:15:44 PM

It looked like, as was mentioned in Chris's link, that John Wardley was getting a Gypsy Kiss (can I get away with that?) I really do hope in all the 'cleaning' up Alton, they get that woodie. I wonder too if they're waiting to see how Thorpe's EuroFighter goes before installing one of their own. I'm pryaing it's a woodie though.

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 5/19/08 2:37:42 AM

Another thought, could Alton be getting a Frisbee?

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/19/08 3:15:19 PM

> Another thought, could Alton be getting a Frisbee?

You know, I totally forgot a Frisbee was a ride, and when you hear it out of context it sounds really strange! Yeah, they might get a frisbee or Swingball, they can't decide! ;)

In all seriousness though, I don't think John Wardley would be involved with a flat ride, especially as he's semi-retired. They'd only call him in for a coaster or other major ride.

With that in mind, it is a mystery what he was doing in the woods near Corkscrew, especially as it seems X-Sector will get the next coaster (2010?)

Perhaps he really was just having a widdle? ;)

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 6/4/08 3:52:49 PM

Yesterday i was a bit starstruck as 2 tables across from me, as i munched through my chips, was the legend himself, i think he noticed i was starring, as he kept looking up a bit uncomfortably, but we were both at work and had to be professional which stopped me from pulling my trousers down running across and leaping on his lap, flinging my arms around him "you can have me"

TowersTimes have photos of Mr Wardley and the park managers looking at some plans in UgLand today . . . maybe it is time to get a little excited!

HighExtreme

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 6/5/08 7:55:10 AM

> ...which stopped me from pulling my trousers down
> running across and leaping on his lap, flinging my arms
> around him "you can have me"

Ah, thank you! I needed a laugh and that was a very big one!

I'm very excited about the photo. Spookily, that paragraph doesn't show up when I try to quote you...

I assumed it would show them in the woodland, but no, they're in Ug Land pointing at Corkscrew. Think it's leaving the park? I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by deeve at 6/7/08 7:23:18 PM

Thorpe needs a woodie just as much as Alton. Alton needs a ride like bacu or a 4d as well as a woodie. Merlin have got to get a grip quick of the uks 2 premier parks otherwise the uk will fall away from the coaster world. The area behind the corkscrew and in and around gloomy wood are ideal places for new coasters. Alton and Thorpe should do a magic mountain and open 3 in a year.

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/10/08 8:36:43 AM

Good news to support this rumour - Corkscrew is rumoured to be leaving at the end of 2009.

Almanac story

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 7/11/08 12:41:11 PM

> Good news to support this rumour - Corkscrew is rumoured to
> be leaving at the end of 2009.

Well here comes the rumour express *woo* *woo* steaming through the fan sites. Check out the supposed Towers Times Concept Art

Artwork features ideas for a dark forest, with machinery and races taking place. Looks fantastic, a lot of imagination but sadly it's not genuine and not very Merlin

The original forum posts talks about a tilt coaster concept . . .

The Rollercoaster ride could incorporate a Switch / Tilt mechanism where a section of track the length of the train tips, tilting the train to a 45 degree angle. The train is then released, possibly backwards, and drops underground by its own weight. It is then held at a dead end, from which it is then released forwards, before diving off through a tunnel. "

. . sound's really good, if only it were happening, here's to hoping i'll have to eat my own hat!

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by deeve at 7/12/08 5:43:00 AM

I think Alton Towers needs more inversions. Only six in the entire park is poor. I like the tilt idea as its a way of getting speed providing they create a tunnel for it to penetrate down like Oblivion. This ride can have plenty of inversions etc. It may not neccesary be part of Ug land it may be a new themed area. My fear is they might extend Cred street and make a family coaster. The concept drawings look good and would market well on leaflets and 2010 park maps. Alton towers for me need to produce something special for me its been a while since Nemesis all though Im quite fond of Oblivion. Launch and tunnels are the best ways for Alton Towers with there restrictions. Idealy for me would be Tilt, Launch idealy a Maverick clone or 4D.

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/12/08 8:43:06 AM

I absolutely love the "Dark Forest" and "Creatures" theming - couldn't be better. I don't like the idea of a Tilt Coaster though, and would much prefer a traditional wood or steel non-looper.

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/12/08 12:36:24 PM

Wow, I love the conceptual art! I'd love wood, but if they did something like Everest with the reverse sections, that would be amazing...just hope it's a bit more thrilling.

(Don't get me wrong, I loved Everest, but felt it was missing something).

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 7/12/08 6:04:10 PM

> Wow, I love the conceptual art! I'd love wood, but if they
> did something like Everest with the reverse sections, that
> would be amazing...just hope it's a bit more thrilling.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of it like that. To think of it as a Tilt Coaster turns me off, but a "Mega Mine Train" would be great.

Re: Alton Woodie - Preparations start? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 7/13/08 3:15:54 AM

It doesn't neccessarily have to be called or be a Mega Mine Train, but if they do it right with Vekoma at the helms, that's right, you heard me say Vekoma Grazza, it'd be a winning combination.