Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Erlebnispark Tripsdrill TR 02-APR-08 [Part1]

Erlebnispark Tripsdrill TR 02-APR-08 [Part1]

the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile

Posted:
5/2/08 at
9:47:49 AM

Views: 2324

Ever since I first saw G'sengte Sau I've really wanted to visit Tripsdrill, my expectations were very high but thankfully I wasn't disappointed, this is the ultimate eccentric adventure park, I love it!

We arrived to an empty car park, the park opened at 9am, the tickets were discounted to €15 as Mammut wasn't ready, fantastic value

Photobucket

Just through the entrance gates we triggered the first surprise, which plopped a big hint to the kind of toilet humour that would be logged for the rest of the day around the park

We first rode the maypole tower ride, the park is full of many gentle rides which are fun for all ages, this was a nice scenic climb above the entrance street, the scenery at the park was beautiful, it was like wandering around an old time village that happened to have rides in between the houses

Photobucket

Altweibermuhle or as I can't pronounce that, I referred to it as the "windmill slip" is the simplest but most fun attraction in the park, a giant slide that comes down a windmill tower, we had such a giggle racing down the slope on the sack mats

After tumbling out of the cake walk house, we tried their splash battle, instead of cannons the boats had teapots and watering cans which squirted water, it was an enjoyable level of wetness rather than the over the top soaking you’d usually get on this style of boat ride

Doppelter Donnerbalken is one of the scariest tower rides I’ve ever experienced, the two row tree trunk themed car is lifted almost like a forklift truck mechanism, you hop up and down the tree at an innocent pace until on the last climb right to the treetop, your tilted forward as you plummet, it really is shock that gets you every time, I can’t believe the height restriction was only a metre!

Soap box derby racers use the trackless wire system, so it gives the impression that you really have to steer the car, the twin course meanders around a pond filled with flamingos and storks which would often halt the race as they leisurely crossed the track

Photobucket

For some unknown reason, there was a window where you could watch chickens hatching out of eggs, a passing gardener joked that they would be cooking them later, then a little further into the park he asked us if we wanted him to turn the water fountain garden on, the staff were exceptionally friendly, especially the Geordie engineer who was amazed we actually knew of the park

The chips were fit by the way, the drinks cups were all recycled

The park had a lot of bizarre walk-thrus, museums and displays, including a walk-thru a giant barrel and another which was pitch black until you pressed buttons which made some animatronic characters talk

My favourite was a well, which 2 people pulled on ropes and a vision of your future offspring together would appear

Photobucket

As the park was quiet a few of the flat rides had one operator who would follow you to which ever ride you wanted to ride and the water rides were open for a limited period during the day

G'sengte Sau 10:00-17:00
Log Flume 13:00 – 14:00
Rafting 13:00 – 15:00

Considering the crowds were so light, this didn't matter and I guess is a sensible way of saving the running costs of the park

The Tivoli coaster was open all day however only ran once, due to the fact it needed 20 people to run, so there were many failed attempts to get on it. Until towards the end of the day, 2 families were waiting talking to the operators, when we arrived, we were half way there - after a lot of phone calls by the operator, heckling passers by and people running off to try and get other people they’d seen in the park to come over, three staff members filled the remaining seats, the coaster set off to all the planning of a NASA shuttle launch, we made 6 laps to much cheering and applause

HighExtreme

Erlebnispark Tripsdrill TR 02-APR-08 [Part2] by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 5/2/08 9:49:14 AM

Photobucket

Mammut wasn’t quite ready, initially this was a bit of disappointing news before we got to the park, however once we were in, it didn’t matter in the slightest the park was so full of amazing distractions, and the discounted admission tickets more than made up for the ride not been finished

You could climb inside a construction caravan, watch a no limits simulation playing on a loop and look at the blue prints for the ride which was a nice touch

Photobucket

Badewannen-Fahrt zum Jungbrunnen is the castle themed log flume with the bat tub boats complete with radiator and shower attachments, I’m not going to spoil any surprises, just like every other Tripsdrill ride there’s some quirky theme idea and a few surprises up stream, overall a fantastic water ride

Photobucket

The Hafema segmented boats gently sail down the theme stream of Waschzuber (washtub) Rafting, sklooshing over rapids, past waterfalls, down a small cascade drop, through a dark tunnel and and whirl-around-pool (as apposed to the whirlpool spiral drop element on the newer hafema rapids) again a great family water ride which is iced with some bizarre laundry themeing

Photobucket

G’sengte Sau then! The chattering teeth sounding lift hill, clicks the cars to the swoopy round spiral drop, this is fast, much faster than Cobra the other gerstlauer bobsled I’ve ridden, the mousey parts zigzag around the rooftops of the castle and log flume below, before charging at full steam into those helix downs and up the castle turrets, then it’s the airtime overdose on the triple bunny hops which for some reason we’d exhale “snap” “cackle” “pop” as we floated over them, thundering forcefully around into the helix down and then up into the brakes . . . . WOW! its perfection!

I was surprised at how terrain based the ride was, to say it’s become a popular cookie cutter model available to other parks, the lengthy queue route was also a surprise, you had to trek through a castle and some craft barns before reaching the loading station, although re-riding was not a problem, just hop in the car that’s in the front of the station

It just goes to shows how much themeing can add to the exhilaration of the ride experience, a text book example of this old theory

Tripsdrill is exceptional, the very unique attractions are highlighted by their even more unique themes, which are all set in the rich landscaping and rural style architecture make for a quirky one-off attraction which is overwhelmed by the outstanding sense of fun and enjoyment for everyone of all ages, that’s what Tripsdrill is all about

HighExtreme

Re: Erlebnispark Tripsdrill TR 02-APR-08 [Part2] by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/6/08 12:20:33 PM

> Altweibermuhle or as I can't pronounce that, I referred
> to it as the "windmill slip" is the simplest but
> most fun attraction in the park, a giant slide that comes
> down a windmill tower, we had such a giggle racing down the
> slope on the sack mats

Looks good. It's hard to beat a slide.

> Doppelter Donnerbalken is one of the scariest tower rides
> I’ve ever experienced, the two row tree trunk themed car
> is lifted almost like a forklift truck mechanism, you hop
> up and down the tree at an innocent pace until on the last
> climb right to the treetop, your tilted forward as you
> plummet, it really is shock that gets you every time, I
> can’t believe the height restriction was only a metre!

LOL! Must have been fast if it caught you out!

> Soap box derby racers use the trackless wire system, so it
> gives the impression that you really have to steer the car,
> the twin course meanders around a pond filled with
> flamingos and storks which would often halt the race as
> they leisurely crossed the track

I love storks! They're huge in flight, like pterosaurs!

> For some unknown reason, there was a window where you
> could watch chickens hatching out of eggs, a passing
> gardener joked that they would be cooking them later, then
> a little further into the park he asked us if we wanted him
> to turn the water fountain garden on, the staff were
> exceptionally friendly, especially the Geordie engineer who
> was amazed we actually knew of the park

It's funny to find regional British accents tucked away in corners of Europe, isn't it?! Good for them, definitely; they've got the right idea.

> You could climb inside a construction caravan, watch a no
> limits simulation playing on a loop and look at the blue
> prints for the ride which was a nice touch

That's a lovely touch.

The ride looks like it'll have very fast pacing, and strong airtime and lateral forces, as most of the layout is so low compared to the first drop.

> The Hafema segmented boats gently sail down the theme
> stream of Waschzuber (washtub) Rafting, sklooshing over
> rapids, past waterfalls, down a small cascade drop, through
> a dark tunnel and and whirl-around-pool (as apposed to
> the whirlpool spiral drop element on the newer hafema
> rapids)
again a great family water ride which is iced
> with some bizarre laundry themeing

Ah, I wondered why the whirlpool looked different on the video I have of it.

> G’sengte Sau then! The chattering teeth sounding lift
> hill, clicks the cars to the swoopy round spiral drop, this
> is fast, much faster than Cobra the other gerstlauer
> bobsled I’ve ridden, the mousey parts zigzag around the
> rooftops of the castle and log flume below, before charging
> at full steam into those helix downs and up the castle
> turrets, then it’s the airtime overdose on the triple
> bunny hops which for some reason we’d exhale “snap”
> “cackle” “pop” as we floated over them, thundering
> forcefully around into the helix down and then up into the
> brakes . . . . WOW! its perfection!

I thought Cobra was fast, so I'd love to try this!

> I was surprised at how terrain based the ride was, to say
> it’s become a popular cookie cutter model available to
> other parks, the lengthy queue route was also a surprise,
> you had to trek through a castle and some craft barns
> before reaching the loading station, although re-riding was
> not a problem, just hop in the car that’s in the front of
> the station

I suppose the ground was raised to meet bits of the track rather than the coaster actually being on different levels? Cobra is all on the same level, although it could explain why the first drop at Paultons doesn't reach the ground.

> It just goes to shows how much themeing can add to the
> exhilaration of the ride experience, a text book example of
> this old theory

I wholeheartedly agree.

How I wish a UK park would clone G'Sengte Sau exactly - speed, theming and architecture. I can't stress how much I think theming and (in particular) architecture give you a sense of scale (and adventure). It doesn't really matter whether it's castles, caves or gold mines.

I can honestly say Tripsdrill is now one of the European parks I'd most like to visit. Look how they have progressed from Zierer Tivoli (glad you rode it!) to Gerstlauer Bobsled and now to full-size woodie! It comes from a dedication to excellence, and a good knowledge of what makes a great park.

Exceptional park, exceptional TR!

Re: Erlebnispark Tripsdrill TR 02-APR-08 [Part2] by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 5/8/08 5:13:46 AM

Thanks for the great TR!
You made me almost like the park!

While I do like some of their theming ideas (The bathtub-logs are a stroke of genious) I can´t stand that south-german attempt at (toilet) humour. But I have to admit that they found a great niche to style a park to this "good old time-home"-theme and they are moving in a good direction.

In the end, Tripsdrill might be the German version of Dollywood.

There´s a timelapse video of the mammut erection (giggle) if you open the website: http://www.tripsdrill.de/1024/deutsch/aktuelles.php3

And a long image/promo clip can be seen here: http://www.tripsdrill.de/1024/deutsch/das-geheimnis-von-tripsdrill.php
(The opening is pretty funny: The black Mercedes Benz has a license plate that tells its from the Europa-Park area. The letter that is given to the "freelance"-spy reads: "Find out the secret of Trpsdrill´s success".)

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Erlebnispark Tripsdrill TR 02-APR-08 [Part2] by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 5/19/08 11:29:32 AM

> Thanks for the great TR!
> You made me almost like the park!

What?? :P

> While I do like some of their theming ideas (The
> bathtub-logs are a stroke of genious) I can´t stand that
> south-german attempt at (toilet) humour. But I have to
> admit that they found a great niche to style a park to this
> "good old time-home"-theme and they are moving in
> a good direction.

Now, now Tricky, I do, myself, love a bit of toilet humour from time to time... mainly because my sense of humour is more gutter bound as a few like Graeme can attest to. lol

> In the end, Tripsdrill might be the German version of
> Dollywood.
s
Yee-haw! It might as well be, they have a wooden twister, a Gerstlauer product, and like Dollywood, it seems to have that touch of camp to it.

> There´s a timelapse video of the mammut erection (giggle)
> if you open the website: And a long image/promo clip can
> be seen here: (The opening is pretty funny: The black
> Mercedes Benz has a license plate that tells its from the
> Europa-Park area. The letter that is given to the
> "freelance"-spy reads: "Find out the secret
> of Trpsdrill´s success".)
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

(Giggles profusely) Mammut erection.

Thanks for the links, my friend. I enjoyed both of them quite a bit.

Tim.

Re: Erlebnispark Tripsdrill TR 02-APR-08 [Part2] by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/19/08 3:10:00 PM

> Now, now Tricky, I do, myself, love a bit of toilet humour
> from time to time... mainly because my sense of humour is
> more gutter bound as a few like Graeme can attest to. lol

Gutter bound? For you, that would be upward! ;)

Re: Erlebnispark Tripsdrill TR 02-APR-08 [Part1] by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 5/19/08 9:26:07 PM

You nailed that right on the head. ;) Damned, cheeky blighter. :P