Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Finally Found the Safari Ghost Train!

Finally Found the Safari Ghost Train!

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
4/27/08 at
6:41:23 PM

Views: 897

I've never forgotten my trips to Clacton Pier in the 70s and 80s and ever since I got the internet, I have been trying to find pictures depicting the Pier and rides from those eras.

One of the earliest things I remember seeing was what I've remembered as the "Safari Ghost Train". After 10 years, I've finally, finally found a portion of it!

The image actually depicts the "Flying Coaster" (incidentally, there is also a picture of a Flying Coaster at Great Yarmouth, in front of the old Giant, Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe and the Scenic painted as it used to be), with only part of the frontage visible. Maybe the ride was actually called "Haunted Safari" or "Ghost Safari"?

What a strange feeling to see something I have not gazed upon for 25+ years...!

http://www.nfa.dept.shef.ac.uk/history/rides/coaster.html (it's right at the bottom of the page.)
Another Pier history link: http://www.geocities.com/tiylaya/locations/full_pages/tp_locations_clacton.htm

PS - the first site is a goldmine for old images of Clacton, Great Yarmouth, Bottons, Blackpool, Margate etc.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

History of Fairs

Re: Finally Found the Safari Ghost Train! by d_n_s_u at 4/28/08 2:53:32 PM

It's a great site alright with wonderful pictures.

Re: Finally Found the Safari Ghost Train! by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/30/08 2:03:43 AM

Graeme, what a great find! I know Kennywood still has theirs. :)

Re: Finally Found the Safari Ghost Train! by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/30/08 10:07:51 AM

> Graeme, what a great find! I know Kennywood still has
> theirs. :)

What, their Flying Coaster flat ride?

Incidentally, I guess my nostalgia on tnis subject may be hard to understand. The reason I'm so fascinated with Clacton Pier in that era is because I caught the tail end of the 70s. Then they changed many of their rides for the 80s. Sure, I would like to see more of the 80s, but naturally, I remember that slightly better, and I actually have two photos of it (mainly the Vekoma Whirlwind).

This, on the other hand, is the first evidence I have ever had that anyone even took photos on the Pier in the 70s! Strange, but true.