Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > A hello from a stranger...

A hello from a stranger...

esp3001

Posted:
4/26/08 at
5:06:00 PM

Views: 845

Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I have been reading the topics and replies on this forum for some time. I am a 'part time' roller coaster enthusiast. I love riding them, watching them and reading of them.
I've been to America Orlando a few times to visit the different parks in the area but no-where else other than there or the UK sites.
Bottom line is im introducing myself to the forum, I was just reading an old post by Graeme about the infrequency of post's and it made me want to stop just reading and introduce myself.
So hello, im Dan, pleased to introduce myself to you.

Re: A hello from a stranger... by d_n_s_u at 4/27/08 4:50:50 AM

Welcome to the forums Dan. :-)

Re: A hello from a stranger... by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/27/08 12:47:25 PM

Hello Dan, you're very welcome!

What sort of rides and parks do you like?

Re: A hello from a stranger... by esp3001 at 4/28/08 2:42:16 PM

> What sort of rides and parks do you like?

Well my favorite ride in the UK is Nemesis, Its the one ride that ive been on that I can remember every second of. What a thrill this was the first steel coaster I went on... What a rush!

I was a late bloomer in regards to roller coasters, I refused to go on them untill I was 12 (Im 22 now), I still get the butterflies in my stomach now when im strapping myself into the seat and I really do love that feeling...

As a point of note, does anyone else here suffer from cramps while on Colossus at TP? I get one every time, I think I may be too tall to ride it...

Re: A hello from a stranger... by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/29/08 9:04:27 AM

> Well my favorite ride in the UK is Nemesis, Its the one
> ride that ive been on that I can remember every second of.
> What a thrill this was the first steel coaster I went on...
> What a rush!

That's a very intense coaster for your first steelie! Mine was Ladybird at Pleasurewood Hills!

Was your first coaster a woodie?

> As a point of note, does anyone else here suffer from
> cramps while on Colossus at TP? I get one every time, I
> think I may be too tall to ride it...

I've never got cramp, but they certainly are small seats. No legroom and a crushing OTSR. How tall are you?

Re: A hello from a stranger... by esp3001 at 4/29/08 2:25:38 PM

> Was your first coaster a woodie?

Yeah it was, you'll have to forgive me in that I dont remember what it was, although im sure it was either the big dipper at BPB or one on the seafront at Yarmouth that I cant remember the name of. I do love woodies thought, especially Gwazi at Busch Gardens, Tampa, ive read some people not enjoying its ride comfort, but for me the way you're thrashed about is a highlight, like how I feel Nemesis Inferno would be a great ride if it wasn't so smooth...

> I've never got cramp, but they certainly are small seats.
> No legroom and a crushing OTSR. How tall are you?

Im 6'2'' always thought that to be about average till i got in the cars on Colossus!

Do you have a favourite coaster at all Graeme?

Re: A hello from a stranger... by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/30/08 10:26:55 AM

> Yeah it was, you'll have to forgive me in that I dont
> remember what it was, although im sure it was either the
> big dipper at BPB or one on the seafront at Yarmouth that I
> cant remember the name of. I do love woodies thought,
> especially Gwazi at Busch Gardens, Tampa, ive read some
> people not enjoying its ride comfort, but for me the way
> you're thrashed about is a highlight, like how I feel
> Nemesis Inferno would be a great ride if it wasn't so
> smooth...

Well, it depends really. The trick is to have an exciting-enough ride without actually injuring you. There are a couple of woodies that have actually hurt my back (the Southport Mouse and Grand National if you sit in the wrong seats), Avalanche at Blackpool gave me a massive bruise on my ankle and, a few months ago, I honestly couldn't turn my neck after riding Klondike at Hayling.

I don't find Nemesis Inferno too smooth, as such, but I've always thought it could have been bigger, with better elements and tunnels.

> Im 6'2'' always thought that to be about average till i got
> in the cars on Colossus!

Same as me!

They're definitely small seats. I fit in small, family coasters much better than Colossus.

> Do you have a favourite coaster at all Graeme?

My all-time favourite is Roller Coaster at Great Yarmouth. Been riding it for 20+ years! It's always been smooth and exciting (it's also the tallest woodie in England).

Other favourite woodies are/were the Southport Cyclone, Scenic Railway and Roller Coaster at BPB. And Megafobia, of course!

In the early 90s I loved The Vampire at Chessington. It really takes you on a journey, and I still think the swing coaster is one of the best types.

During the 90s and early 2000s I really got into the B&Ms, such as Nemesis, then Air and Nemesis Inferno (although only the first two were my firm favourites).

Millennium Coaster at Fantasy Island is a smooth, graceful Vekoma looper with a large first loop. Just a personal favourite of mine.

More recently, I really enjoyed Cobra at Paultons. For the height and speed, I honestly thought it was perfect. Not one moment did I think "That could have been steeper" or "there could have been more/less G force there".

Re: A hello from a stranger... by esp3001 at 5/2/08 4:06:47 PM

> My all-time favourite is Roller Coaster at Great Yarmouth.
> Been riding it for 20+ years! It's always been smooth and
> exciting (it's also the tallest woodie in England).

> Other favourite woodies are/were the Southport Cyclone,
> Scenic Railway and Roller Coaster at BPB. And Megafobia, of
> course!

> In the early 90s I loved The Vampire at Chessington. It
> really takes you on a journey, and I still think the swing
> coaster is one of the best types.

> During the 90s and early 2000s I really got into the B&Ms,
> such as Nemesis, then Air and Nemesis Inferno (although
> only the first two were my firm favourites).

> Millennium Coaster at Fantasy Island is a smooth, graceful
> Vekoma looper with a large first loop. Just a personal
> favourite of mine.

> More recently, I really enjoyed Cobra at Paultons. For the
> height and speed, I honestly thought it was perfect. Not
> one moment did I think "That could have been
> steeper" or "there could have been more/less G
> force there".

Right... You do love your coasters dont you! As much as I try to get about the country to ride them I cant say ive been on many of that list... Kinda puts me to shame. Right well I now have a list of must do's (other than the unfortunate ones).

Onward and upwards (with a fast decline!)

Re: A hello from a stranger... by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/3/08 11:05:50 AM

> Right... You do love your coasters dont you! As much as I
> try to get about the country to ride them I cant say ive
> been on many of that list... Kinda puts me to shame.

Hey, horses for courses! I do enjoy travelling around the UK, but then again I've never ridden a coaster anywhere else. Really enjoyed my trips to Yorkshire, the Lincolnshire Coast and the North West Coast. I love the British seaside, and combining that with parks (inland or coastal) is my sort of thing.