Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Alton Towers TR 24-25 April 08.

Alton Towers TR 24-25 April 08.

SJBrown

Posted:
4/26/08 at
6:30:53 AM

Views: 892

My thoughts on my first trip to Alton Towers.

First thing I noticed about the park was how green it is, I think what ever future developments take place they need to keep the current look and feel of the place.

After a slight delay for a heavy down pour headed straight to Oblivion for the first ride of the day and was relieved to see a single riders line so managed to cut 25 mins or so on the que time. Very good ride the anticipation on the car was building as it trundled up the lift and round to the drop the slight pause raising the excitement then the drop wow nice and quick I feel that the screams that go with it show how good the ride is well worth waiting for. I do think that maybe a little bit more track after the drop maybe a la Shikra at BGA would make the ride even better.

Went over to Rita for ride two of the day again pleased to see a single riders line. obviously not been on before and despite reading reviews and the type from looking at the track was not sure of what to expect other than acceleration at the start. The first time I felt the acceleration it was mind blowing and the speed all the way round the track was maintained a lot better than I thought it would be (even managed little bits of air). another good coaster and would not hesitate to recommend to anyone else.

Was going to go for a ride on Corkscrew but was put off by the 40 mins que.

Headed over towards Nemisis and Air stopped off at Duel I thought this is a nice slant on the haunted house idea nice long ride and a chance to sit down in the dry for a few minutes good fun. I do like this type of shoot-um-up ride like Men in Black at USF or Buzz Lightyear at MK.

Nemisis after walking to the single riders line before finding it closed not at the begining of the line but at the door and watching 60 odd people join the regular que in front of me was not pleased. The theming of this is one of the best I have seen on a coaster the blood red water running down the side of the canyon top notch. As I travelled up the lift was looking forward to a good ride and was not dissapointed the speed and the G-Force as it went through the canyon was out of this world. another top coaster I have ridden Nemisis at Thorpe Park which is a good coaster but not as good as this one.

Moved on to Air was a bit nervous in the que for this one as a new experience. when the harness drops and feet get locked in place and placed into ride possition was the strangest feeling I have had on a coaster. When the ride started the feeling of intrepidation was replaced with excelleration my fav bit was when the cars flipped and riding backwards that felt so quick and like anything else I have felt on a coster.

Made way back over to Oblivion for another ride before heading back to the Splash landings hotel to check in and an hour or so in Cariba Creek.

Day two in the park.

Again went over to oblivion before moving on to Corkscrew via another go on Rita. Corkscrew was an ok coaster I think starting to show its age a little bit (dont we all) only had a 5 mins wait time so worth the wait was glad I did not wait the 40 mins the day before as not sure that would have been worth the wait.

Moved on to the Run Away Mine Train another ride left out from day one. Nice little coaster especialy for younger riders managed to have one extra lap of the track as no que was waiting. not as good as the one at Disneyland paris but enjoyable ride and would not hesitate to ride again.

Another ride on Nemisis then headed back over to Hex was not sure what to expect on this as it sounded a bit like a simulator and they tend to make me feel a bit sick. Glad I went on this I am still trying to figure out what actualy happend as I can not figure out what did (can not believe went upside down with out OSR with H&S the way it is in this country but thats what I saw) will ride again and try and find out what did occur.

Went on Enterprise I have always enjoyed this since first ride on a traveling version about 18 odd years ago.

One more go on oblivion before heading for home.

A lot of waffle I am afraid just need to get some of it down before I forget.

Simon

Re: Alton Towers TR 24-25 April 08. by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/26/08 9:27:02 AM

> First thing I noticed about the park was how green it is, I
> think what ever future developments take place they need to
> keep the current look and feel of the place.

Yes indeed. They were thwarted when they tried to build a massive wooden coaster, which would have needed loads of trees cut down, so I think all future rides will be pretty small and (hopefully) built wherever they don't need to cut anything down.

> Moved on to Air was a bit nervous in the que for this one
> as a new experience. when the harness drops and feet get
> locked in place and placed into ride possition was the
> strangest feeling I have had on a coaster. When the ride
> started the feeling of intrepidation was replaced with
> excelleration my fav bit was when the cars flipped and
> riding backwards that felt so quick and like anything else
> I have felt on a coster.

Yeah, it's a great ride, probably my favourite in the park (along with Nemesis). It's interesting you found it intimidating and not the other coasters.

> Another ride on Nemisis then headed back over to Hex was
> not sure what to expect on this as it sounded a bit like a
> simulator and they tend to make me feel a bit sick. Glad I
> went on this I am still trying to figure out what actualy
> happend as I can not figure out what did (can not believe
> went upside down with out OSR with H&S the way it is in
> this country but thats what I saw) will ride again and try
> and find out what did occur.

Well, I can tell you the secret if you want?