Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Holiday Park TR 01-APR-08

Holiday Park TR 01-APR-08

the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile

Posted:
4/11/08 at
9:35:29 AM

Views: 1034

This year I spent my birthday at Europa Park this was the first time we’d hired a car in Germany (on the success of hiring a car in Holland) so it made it easier to get to Holiday Park and Tripsdrill which were nearby

After a faithful RyanAir flight to Baden we drove about 45minutes to Holiday Park, which is an impressive sight as you drive up towards the big orange squiggle that is Expedition Ge Force that slightly breaks up the scenic German countryside

Photobucket

Friends who'd previously visited the park were all giving bad reviews of Holiday Park, but I remained optimistic and had longed to ride Ge Force for some time

Photobucket

It was a lovely sunny day the weather forecast had been for rain showers, so this was already a great bonus, the car park was virtually empty, bonus number 2, as soon as we entered the park we were amused by a self serve soft ice cream machine shaped like a giant bear, bonus number 3!

Photobucket

Free Fall was the first ride, it had a seemingly bigger airtime dosage than the usual intamin drop tower, they were only operating one side due to the small crowd visiting the park that day, so we were always treated to a wonderful aerial view towards Ge Force

Photobucket

Expedition Ge Force did not disappoint it’s a wonderful coaster, the crazy twisted first drop plunges into some pretty strong forces pushing down into your seat, you then go completely the opposite way as you float out of your seat with the airtime over the first camelback

Photobucket

The following swoops and twists through the trees make for a crazy ride, with a few guest airtime moments overall I’d sum the ride up in three words smooth, airtime, fun

Photobucket

The extensive log flume was good with an interesting reverse section and a touch of bizarre themeing

The park also had a Mack endless train system dark ride themed around a castle with some animatronic boob action

Photobucket

Thunder Rapids was quite a lengthy course, the park has chosen its water rides well, I think they were running on a less wet setting which was nice for the time of year

Photobucket

I didn’t realise the park only has a relatively small collection of rides, not that this is a bad thing, what they do have are very smartly presented and well chosen

The light house themed star flyer is one of the newer flat rides, the park is also home to a gerstlauer dancing pavilion, huss pirate and condor

Photobucket

Corkscrew was rough and terrible, but it had a lot of trees grown in the middle of it, like a lot of rides in the park

Photobucket

Two of the stand-out experiences of the day include an impressive lazer/fountain show and also a monorail ride which travelled over some elaborate flower beds and through some random igloos with even more random aged animatronics inside

We had a fun day at Holiday Park I actually like it a lot, it has a good collection of rides which are orderly presented and well fun

HighExtreme

Re: Holiday Park TR 01-APR-08 by JaiB JaiB Profile at 4/11/08 4:20:07 PM

I liked corky... ;) lmao, only kidding, naa it was as rough as a budget brazillian wax to be fair, but the trees made it look deviously smooth lmao!

JaiB!

Re: Holiday Park TR 01-APR-08 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/11/08 5:35:57 PM

> It was a lovely sunny day the weather forecast had been
> for rain showers, so this was already a great bonus, the
> car park was virtually empty, bonus number 2, as soon as we
> entered the park we were amused by a self serve soft ice
> cream machine shaped like a giant bear, bonus number 3!

That reminds me of an episode of "Sooty & Co", where they went to Camelot and Sweep operated the ice cream machine, getting loads of it on his head!

> The park also had a Mack endless train system dark ride
> themed around a castle with some animatronic boob action

That's what we need!

> I didn’t realise the park only has a relatively small
> collection of rides, not that this is a bad thing, what
> they do have are very smartly presented and well chosen

I must admit, I was only aware of GeForce, the Corkscrew, log flume and drop tower.

Glad you enjoyed the park and GeForce. I still love your "widescreen" photos.

Re: Holiday Park TR 01-APR-08 by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 4/13/08 5:27:24 AM

Thanks for the entertaining report!

What did you think of the loading of G-Force? There were many complains in the last years that the process was abymsally slow.

Since the seventies HP always tried to come up with something new, something that other german parks didn´t have. They were the first to build an Intamin raft, an Intamin drop tower and so on.

But even with all this, I think the park is terribly provincial. I just can´t put my finger on it, but something is lacking. Could you imagine spending a full day there without riding G-Force at least ten times?

I think my last visit was in 2003 and I was shocked how bad EGF looked after only 2 years of operation. Nobody can understand how a park who is so keen on advertising its flagship ride (because it is everythin they have) allows it to rust away like this. They don´t have a station roof after eight years!

I think that HPs biggest curse AND biggest blessing is the vicinity to Europa Park. I am sure that without EP being around the corner, HP would be totally forgotten.

StellaVista: Paranoia ist berechtigt

Re: Holiday Park TR 01-APR-08 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/13/08 8:05:35 AM

> But even with all this, I think the park is terribly
> provincial. I just can´t put my finger on it, but
> something is lacking. Could you imagine spending a full day
> there without riding G-Force at least ten times?

For some bizarre reason, I prefer this sort of park. I enjoyed Paultons and Oakwood more than I've ever enjoyed Thorpe Park, Blackpool Pleasure Beach or possibly even Alton Towers!

"One great coaster is all it takes". That's my motto! ;)

Re: Holiday Park TR 01-APR-08 by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 4/13/08 10:21:59 AM

Fair enough ;)

StellaVista: Paranoia ist berechtigt

Re: Holiday Park TR 01-APR-08 by Cal at 4/15/08 8:59:12 AM

I agree about Super Wirbel - what a rough old bag of spanners that is. (And the trains were new when I rode!)

That drop tower does deliver air - I drifted right off my seat and forward, and I actively had to push myself back to avoid an uncomfortable landing on the big plastic hump at the front of the seat (ouch). Just be warned. :D

Re: Holiday Park TR 01-APR-08 by JaiB JaiB Profile at 4/17/08 11:00:36 PM

Personally I loved EGF think people are reeealy nit picking and infact i'd go as far as to say i preferred it over Silverstar, which was also running better this visit :) New wheels I believe...

JaiB!

Re: Holiday Park TR 01-APR-08 by hatt at 5/7/08 8:33:15 AM

> I agree about Super Wirbel - what a rough old bag of
> spanners that is. (And the trains were new when I rode!)

When did you ride it? because in the last years, they only changed the chassis, nothing more afaik...

Re: Holiday Park TR 01-APR-08 by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 5/7/08 7:41:28 PM

I'm curious why more prefer EGF to Silver Star? I mean, they really are two different coasters. I've been here for a few years, and I feel daft about asking this.

Re: Holiday Park TR 01-APR-08 by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 5/8/08 4:57:09 AM

Just compare the layouts!
Although both rides share the same problem: 2 unneeded speedbrakes on the course, EGF has the much better and interesting layout.
The first drop is just insane and there are a few nice surprises like the totally unexpected flip before the third overbanked turn.
I still think that Superman in New England is the much better coaster (by far) as EGF is in parts a very unremarkable ride because the elements are hardly ever going down to ground-level. Its a bit like a mine-train on stilts.

If Silverstar would have been my first B&M hyper (let alone B&M coaster) I would have not been too impressed by their skills.
If you compare it to Nitro, Silverstar draws a blank were Nitro delivers the goods.
The first drop is great, but it sadly has an ugly sound-wall to one side now.
The twisted uphill section into the second hill is just wrong. You can really feel that the had to cram the curve into the given piece of land over the parking lot. The train shuffles and and vibrates and I find the jarring forces to be rather uncomfortable.
From then on its just up and down with not too much airtime. I do like the hammerhead, though.
The block brake kicks in hard and the train shuffles again throug the upward helix. The best and only unexpected part is the speedy s-curve shortly before the final brakes.