Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Dreamland Scenic on Fire

The Dreamland Scenic on Fire

d_n_s_u

Posted:
4/7/08 at
1:06:01 PM

Views: 1736

Read it and weep..

From Joyland

Re: The Dreamland Scenic on Fire by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 4/7/08 2:05:23 PM

Incredibly sad. Words fail me....

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kol08/article/default.asp?article_id=39861

Re: The Dreamland Scenic on Fire by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/7/08 5:08:30 PM

Yet another classic you guys lose. :( I'm gutted by this as well.

Re: The Dreamland Scenic on Fire by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/7/08 6:09:40 PM

Yet another ride to cross off from the "Top 10 Coasters" on my Ultimate Rollercoaster profile, for all the wrong reasons. Like the Southport Cyclone, it truly was a great ride.

The Morecambe Cyclone, the Southport Cyclone, Runaway Coaster and now the Scenic Railway. The coaster scene has just changed too much from the one that fascinated me in the first place: a country full of big, wooden monsters at the seaside. These were in no way bad rides. In no way did they deserve to be destroyed over the newer ones.

The Cyclone and Scenic were far better, smoother and more exciting than most rides. This is not "survival of the fittest" - this is "survival of the most convenient".

If all we had were the white knuckle rides of today, I'd never have become interested in coasters in the first place.

Whatever happens, I'm very thankful I rode it in 2006, as well as the '90s, 2001 and 2002, which I thought would be its final year of operation. I'd like to say a big thank you to Nick Laister, who I believe is the single biggest factor the Scenic lasted so long.

http://www.savedreamland.co.uk/

BBC

Re: The Dreamland Scenic on Fire by LizardsOmen at 4/7/08 7:44:53 PM

oh no, It's another case of not having the chance to say goodbye to a fabled ride. And I haven't even had the chance to ride this one!

Re: The Dreamland Scenic on Fire by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 4/8/08 3:36:14 PM

shocking, just shocking, I really can't say anything that can justify what's happened

> The Morecambe Cyclone, the Southport Cyclone, Runaway
> Coaster and now the Scenic Railway. The coaster scene has
> just changed too much from the one that fascinated me in
> the first place: a country full of big, wooden monsters at
> the seaside. These were in no way bad rides. In no way did
> they deserve to be destroyed over the newer ones.

Very true what a great loss that the majority of our seaside heritage has been eroded

We have to be thankful that Great Yarmouth is still going strong

> Whatever happens, I'm very thankful I rode it in 2006, as
> well as the '90s, 2001 and 2002, which I thought would be
> its final year of operation. I'd like to say a big thank
> you to Nick Laister, who I believe is the single biggest
> factor the Scenic lasted so long.

I admire the campaign for remaining focused on their goal.

25% of the structure has been destroyed including the lift hills and the workshop which housed all of the original trains :(

* This Post Has Been Modified *

http://www.highextreme.co.uk

Re: The Dreamland Scenic on Fire by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/9/08 2:39:41 AM

> oh no, It's another case of not having the chance to say
> goodbye to a fabled ride. And I haven't even had the chance
> to ride this one!

You're not the only one, my friend.

I've said it before, but I really do feel for you guys in the UK, it's been one classic after another gone. It sounds so hackneyed, but it breaks my heart. I do pray that they can rebuild the Scenic...

Re: The Dreamland Scenic on Fire by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/9/08 8:57:51 AM

> I admire the campaign for remaining focused on their goal.

I know, you have to admire their resolve. Their response today (along with an aerial pic) is to inform people that "Bear in mind that, on a typical year of maintenance, approximately 15% of the ride would be replaced anyway"!

I think a lot positive has come out of this ride over the last few years. When I heard 2002 was Dreamland's last season, I honestly thought the coaster would be destroyed soon after; but instead, a lot of people have come together to let people ride it most years since. I think we've been treated very well.

Let's just hope the coaster can be rebuilt, better security arranged and the Heritage Park constructed!

Save Dreamland