Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Thorpe Park Trip Report Sat 5th April 2008

Thorpe Park Trip Report Sat 5th April 2008

britcitchris britcitchris Profile

Posted:
4/6/08 at
5:28:04 PM

Views: 1100

Park was fairly quiet with Stealth and Colossus having the larger of the queues. The new 4D film, Time Voyagers was pretty good and the 4D effects were very good. Much better than the ones at Legoland.

Stealth and Colossus were on 1 train operation although Stealth went on to two trains in the afternoon, more than halving it's queue time as a result.

Weather was nice and dry in the morning but showery in the afternoon. Park population was mostly chavs with piled on make up and sports clothes and plenty of young lads dressed like Boys In The Hood. Boy, did I feel old.

Ride Count:

Stealth x 2
Nemesis Inferno x 2
Detonator x 2
Samurai x 1
Slammer x 1
Time Voyagers x 1

Vampire at Chessington x 3!!!!! (See below.)

Some grumbles:

It was fantastic riding the mighty Stealth again but very annoying that Thorpe are too tight to run two trains when the ride has big queues. I hear of European parks that do their best to keep queues down and it's about time this happened here, considering the entrance fees.

Colossus broke down on the hill lift for a looong time, had only 1 train running and it's track still has not had a much needed refurbishment. The track makes the ride look very neglected and considering how popular the ride is (despite it being rougher than a badger's back side), Thorpe should really start investing in some long term care for a coaster that used to be great to ride.

An idiot on Detonator undid then re-fastened his seat belt whilst at the top of the ride. This forced the ride ops to call an engineer over to slowly lower the ride so they could check his belt was fastened correctly. We left the queue and came back later. What a berk.

Despite the grumbles, my step son had a fun day and he enjoyed his first visit to Thorpe. When we entered Chessington to meet the rest of the family, it was really quiet (5 pm and raining) and I whored Vampire for 3 rides before we went home. I took my step son on with me on my last go, for his first ever go on it and he really enjoyed it. It really is quite an experience, swinging to and fro at speed inbetween the tree tops. Great stuff. The family had enjoyed their visit to Chessington, especially the animal shows and they they also enjoyed the new Sea Life exhibit.

Chris.

Re: Thorpe Park Trip Report Sat 5th April 2008 by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/7/08 8:56:55 AM

> Boy, did I feel old.

Yeah, so do I nowadays! At parks, not in general!

> It was fantastic riding the mighty Stealth again but very
> annoying that Thorpe are too tight to run two trains when
> the ride has big queues. I hear of European parks that do
> their best to keep queues down and it's about time this
> happened here, considering the entrance fees.

Yes, it's annoying.

> Colossus broke down on the hill lift for a looong time, had
> only 1 train running and it's track still has not had a
> much needed refurbishment.

It's funny how that seems to be quite a common problem with Colossus. It broke down on the lift hill the very first time I visited Thorpe Park.

> The track makes the ride look
> very neglected and considering how popular the ride is
> (despite it being rougher than a badger's back side),
> Thorpe should really start investing in some long term care
> for a coaster that used to be great to ride.

Indeed. The ride used to be completely smooth with the track and trains in the right condition.

> An idiot on Detonator undid then re-fastened his seat belt
> whilst at the top of the ride. This forced the ride ops to
> call an engineer over to slowly lower the ride so they
> could check his belt was fastened correctly. We left the
> queue and came back later. What a berk.

Beyond belief!!!

Anyway Chris, thanks for the TR. I'm glad you and your son enjoyed Thorpe and the Vampire.

Re: Thorpe Park Trip Report Sat 5th April 2008 by RollerBoy RollerBoy Profile at 4/22/08 12:20:18 PM

Sounds pretty good, bummer about Colossus tho. :P
Oh and the dude on Detonator, what a complete idiot!
Jordan.