Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > S&S Screamin' Swings

S&S Screamin' Swings

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
3/25/08 at
9:56:28 AM

Views: 933

I've been thinking: in many ways the Screamin' Swing is the best flat ride I've been on, and yet the general idea seems underdeveloped. For example, it's surprising that both:

1) More S&S ones haven't been sold.
2) Companies like KMG, Fabbri or Zamperla haven't developed their own versions.

I know S&S rides are air-powered but, to me, that didn't seem an important part of Rush. Riding the KMG Freakout, it occurred to me how good a version with no spinning and only forward-facing seats would be - either across from each other (face to face) or back to back.

The dual arms of the higher-capacity S&S rides somehow seems to take something away from them. My perfect ride would be a single arm, with just four or eight seats.

Re: S&S Screamin' Swings by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 3/25/08 8:21:15 PM

It's a nice idea Graeme but wouldn't it be rather low capacity?

Re: S&S Screamin' Swings by LizardsOmen at 3/26/08 1:33:58 PM

Or put a Top spin sized gondola on the end for much larger capacity :D

Doesn't Huss have one? Or have they gone out of business? Is Rush at TP a huss or s&s one?

If I remember, when riding, it's powered by some form of cam with a large cable :D And sounds like a dragon in a cave.

Re: S&S Screamin' Swings by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/27/08 3:08:57 PM

> Or put a Top spin sized gondola on the end for much larger
> capacity :D

Good idea.

Chris is right that my idea would be low capacity, but I was envisioning it as an upcharge attraction for my seaside entertainment complex. There'd be a nice bar, ballroom and general entertainment complex, with a few rides outside including my giant swing and a roller coaster. :)

At 32 seats, Rush is actually quite large. It was actually the biggest type of Screamin' Swing when it was built. If I recall correctly, the originals only had four seats (2x2 back to back?) and a single arm.

> Doesn't Huss have one? Or have they gone out of business?
> Is Rush at TP a huss or s&s one?

S&S.

> If I remember, when riding, it's powered by some form of
> cam with a large cable :D And sounds like a dragon in a
> cave.

Yes indeed! It's air-powered; that's why it's so noisy.

Re: S&S Screamin' Swings by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 3/27/08 10:28:49 PM

I have to ddisagree, I;d rather have both swings. To me, it'd be like playground days all over again swinging with friends and so forth. By the way, do they provide a good amount of air?

Re: S&S Screamin' Swings by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/28/08 3:36:15 PM

> By the way, do they provide a good
> amount of air?

In all honesty, I can't remember. I've checked my TR, and I only got one high swing, so it was hard to tell. The airtime certainly wasn't as impressive as the back seat of a Huss Pirate Ship on a good setting, but, I did like the concept.

Thorpe TR 2005

Re: S&S Screamin' Swings by Cal at 3/31/08 8:46:30 AM

They are really fun...when they work. And they do have a lot of downtime. This is possibly why they are not as popular as they ought to be.

Re: S&S Screamin' Swings by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/31/08 8:57:20 AM

> They are really fun...when they work. And they do have a
> lot of downtime. This is possibly why they are not as
> popular as they ought to be.

This is what I was thinking really. They don't look as though they need to be air-powered, so it's a wonder other companies don't make them. I'm sure they'd be as reliable as frisbees and afterburners.