Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Oakwood to be Sold?

Oakwood to be Sold?

Graeme Graeme Profile

Posted:
11/22/07 at
9:16:43 AM

Views: 2651

A certain company is trying to buy Oakwood...

...allegedly Leisure Parcs. :S

Possibly more interesting than that, the article states that Oakwood has £7m debts. Last year they got revenues of £5.7m but made pre-tax losses of £58,221, and that was a better result than 2005. Makes you think, doesn't it? I mean, just how hard it can be to make a profit.

icWales

Re: Oakwood to be Sold? by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 11/23/07 8:39:52 AM

> Last year they got revenues of
> £5.7m but made pre-tax losses of £58,221, and that was a
> better result than 2005.

By installing Speed they took just £900k more than the year before

I personally don't think "Speed" was branded/styled as well as previous Oakwood rides, it goes to show it didn't make much of an impact

> Possibly more interesting than that, the article states
> that Oakwood has £7m debts.

Its very brave of the park to invest £21m in new attractions since 1989, especially when the visitor numbers have never been that high

The opening of the bluestone holiday resort right next door to the park will definately increase the gate figure and fortunes of Oakwood, i doubt the family will sell the park at this time

HighExtreme

Re: Oakwood to be Sold? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 11/23/07 11:14:51 AM

> By installing Speed they took just £900k more than the
> year before

> I personally don't think "Speed" was
> branded/styled as well as previous Oakwood rides, it goes
> to show it didn't make much of an impact

I truly think that Speed is too scary. People might laugh at me, but I honestly think people underestimate how scary the Euro Fighters are. Too scary as in "the average visitor might actually not ride" (or want to visit the park for it).

The 320+, the 470 and the other compact model are the limits of what Euro Fighters should be. Not a 120ft version. Whatever coaster enthusiasts think, that is terrifying.

What Oakwood needed was another ride like Megafobia or a reasonably small step-up, like Nemesis (obviously, a cheaper version would have been needed).

The other thing, which I'd rather not mention, but have to, is that Oakwood has had problems this decade, so that very likely affected attendance.

> Its very brave of the park to invest £21m in new
> attractions since 1989, especially when the visitor numbers
> have never been that high

Yes, personally I'd assumed they were taking it one step at a time and had made a profit on each "3-year major ride" like Megafobia, Bounce etc.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Oakwood to be Sold? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 11/26/07 10:18:13 AM

Yeah, you don't hear much about Speed, and I think it looks like a fantastic ride in my honest opinion. Oakwood should go with a woodie similar to Tripsdrill next time. Another medium sized woodie would be a smash.

Re: Oakwood to be Sold? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 11/27/07 8:54:11 AM

> Yeah, you don't hear much about Speed, and I think it looks
> like a fantastic ride in my honest opinion.

It's certainly impressive, I'm just not sure how many local people would want to go and ride it.

One thing I didn't mention was that Oakwood must have running costs of around £5m. One way or another, they have the wrong type of rides compared to how many visitors they get. However, I think Stu is absolutely right by saying the park will get a boost by Bluestone. Oakwood has probably the most enticing skyline of any park in the UK. How could you see Megafobia and not want to ride it? :)

Ah, Megafobia... If there was one UK ride I could warp into my back garden, that'd be it.

Re: Oakwood to be Sold? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 11/27/07 10:15:20 AM

Question remains... could you fit Megafobia into your backyard. ;) I do think this Bluestone deal will be the best thing for Oakwood, and it'll be the start of good things to come for the park.

Re: Oakwood to be Sold? by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 11/29/07 9:52:28 PM

> ...allegedly Leisure Parcs. :S

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Parques Reunidos who'd put in the offer, they do seem to be expanding agressively judging from the recent news of their takeovers

HighExtreme

Re: Oakwood to be Sold? by Graeme Graeme Profile at 11/30/07 6:08:23 PM

>> ...allegedly Leisure Parcs. :S

> I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Parques Reunidos who'd
> put in the offer, they do seem to be expanding agressively
> judging from the recent news of their takeovers

Good point. As they own Blackpool Zoo, there is a very strong Blackpool connection. A Blackpool company other than the Pleasure Beach - you can easily see how there could have been crossed wires.

PS - Does anyone know when Bluestone will open? It's quite an appealing idea.

Re: Bluestone by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 11/30/07 9:09:07 PM

> PS - Does anyone know when Bluestone will open? It's quite
> an appealing idea.

July 2008, there's a great video on their website with William McNamara taking about his vision for the project

http://www.bluestonewales.com/pages/what.html

HighExtreme

Re: Bluestone by pembsdaio at 2/19/08 1:48:54 PM

hi mate i fink its opening in june 2008 but they are retruting now like well i used to wrk wid oakwood and it was really good to be honest wid u well i hope oakwood does well this season now wid the blue stone project (cough employ me) in place