Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Oakwood Minus Speed (TR 14-MAY-06 with Pictures!)

Oakwood Minus Speed (TR 14-MAY-06 with Pictures!)

the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile

Posted:
5/14/06 at
8:13:08 PM

Views: 1911

Chloe, Kat, Bert, Gary, Martin & Myself drove three hours into the outer wilds of Wales to visit Oakwood, with the hope of checking out their new coaster. Personally I hadn’t visited Oakwood in 6 years, so still to try a few things since my last visit.

What a welcome, getting out of the car all excited this is what greeted me a dirty nappy, I must say when playing Mini Golf later in the day there wasn’t a bin around to put my empty coffee cup in and I had to carry it with me until I could find one, perhaps more bins around the park would help avoid coming across incidents like this and . . .

This milkshake had definitely been sat in techniquest for more than a few days judging by the colour of it and the number of insects inside

Back to the start of the day, things were about to get disappointing. Speed was down all day due to ‘technical difficulties’ there was definitely no sign of anybody working on the ride to attempt to resolve whatever technical issues were present

Even more disappointment, not that I object to raising funds for charities, but with Speed down and 3 rows of Megafobia blocked off, the single train operation was causing quite a considerable wait, which could have been avoided by adding a second train

Hydro was open, this took ages to dispatch firstly because we apparently had to wait for 12 people otherwise the boat stops too soon in the brakes and gets stuck, secondly because of the pre-recorded then live safety briefings and thirdly because each over the shoulder restraint is lowered individually by a member of the ride staff

The boat makes a tremendous clanking noise as it sluggishly crawls up the lift, plunging down the drop I really couldn’t see anything, the water from the chute was deflecting inside the boat and spraying in my face blocking my vision, at the bottom you get completely showered by the splash, much more violently than any over style of water ride I’ve experienced

I’ve said recently if you want an over the top, sensationalist ride go to Intamin, Hydro is a text book example of this, an extreme water ride, which for my taste considering the welsh climate is a little too OTT

Gary commented that he thought we got wetter on Valhalla even though we wore ponchos on that, he may have a point, but that ride is impossibly wet

We spent quite a considerable amount of time using the attractions in the park, going on the death slide, riding the bobsleigh toboggans, inside the techniquest and playing mini golf

The non-ride attractions side of Oakwood definitely helps to keep the day relaxed and makes it more unique than visiting a park where you just ride all day, I’d like to see this side of Oakwood expanded and sophisticated as I think the efforts are very crude and poorly maintained, we even helped them out by fixing one of the effects on the mini golf course

Plane Crazy was an addition since my last visit to the park, I actually enjoyed it, Bert commented it resembled a large whirlygig. This is another area I feel Oakwood is lacking is the soft thrill family rides, most of the attractions are one extreme, the high end thrill rides, or the other extreme small junior rides with not a lot inbetween, I feel that a few inbetween rides would help the park a lot, perhaps bumper cars and some kind of ferris wheel or flying island ride

Gerald the green fly rode Bounce on Gary’s finger, definitely hardcore

Why wasn’t it working it looks stunning

The rides especially Brer Rabbit (what is that about by the way, answers on a post card) and Spooky 3D are in bad condition and definitely need refurbishing as they look dreadful, only one half of snake river falls wasn’t operating today, and a few of the techniquest experiments were broken

Incidentally I preferred Voodoo Mansion, Spooky 3D is very bare, it seems though a lot of the props have been taken out and there’s absolutely no point to the 3D glasses as there are no 3d effects, at least with Kennywood’s Garfield ride the 3D glasses made the 2D sets look three dimensional / in motion

Celebrating its tenth anniversary, Megafobia was flying today still the amazing amount of out of your seat air, it really is a wonderful coaster very exciting.

Chloe was a self confessed coaster virgin before today, she said in her own words “ive been on x:nowayout at Thorpe Park but that’s not a real roller coaster” . . see so already she knows what she’s talking about ;) She loves coasters now, all thanks to this welsh woodie wonder

Unfortunately the day ended rather abruptly at 4:40pm, despite the advertised closing time been 5pm, the queue lines were shut and people waiting inside them were turned away and the staff told us they wanted to go home

Working for TP/CWoA we close the entrance to the queue lines at least 5minutes after the advertised closing time, to allow for anyone who’s watches are out, and anybody already waiting inside the queue at that time will get to go on the ride before we go home – we certainly make sure they enjoy themselves and aren’t feeling rushed because we “want to get home”

Definitely a shame to start and end the day on sour notes

The pointless train takes us around the corner back to the car park

I do like Oakwood but I feel I wasn’t welcomed as a guest fully on this visit

HighExtreme

Re: Oakwood Minus Speed (TR 14-MAY-06 with Pictures!) by TrickTrack TrickTrack Profile at 5/15/06 4:11:14 AM

Thanks for an entertaining trip-report to a park I haven´t been to yet.

It´s sad that you didn´t get to ride Speed and that it appeared to get the SixFlags-treatment. Usually Gerstlauer rides are said to be very reliable and no maintenance nightmares.

I always wondered why a park which is not located in the Sahara Desert would want a complete soaker like Hydro!

Your description seems to indicate that the park tends to neglect their rides and scenery in favor of new rides, which in turn are neglected too. Not a good sign.

But now to the real scandal: My jaw dropped when I read that they closed the queues early AND turned away the queueing guests. This is absolutely impossible. Guests should have started a revolt!
I can understand to close early when the park is really dead, but it is unexcusable to clear the lines.

Did anybody complain about this?

Re: Oakwood Minus Speed (TR 14-MAY-06 with Pictures!) by Graeme Graeme Profile at 5/15/06 10:48:25 AM

Nice TR and pics (some of them - not the nappy!), but shame there were so many disappointments for you. You've brought URC loads this year - Cobra, Kumali, Europa...and you were just robbed of Speed. :(

Megafobia - they definitely should have used two trains.

Hydro - yes indeed. Intamin may make outrageous rides, but do you even want that? I like to feel I've been on a well-rounded ride that was designed to have been fun, not to have pushed the limits.

> Plane Crazy was an addition since my last visit to the
> park, I actually enjoyed it,

Aha! You enjoyed it after all. ;)

> I do like Oakwood but I feel I wasn’t welcomed as a guest
> fully on this visit

I must admit, I've never thought the service at Oakwood was all it's cracked up to be. Nice setting, great coaster (Megafobia), but not sure about the welcome.

Re: Oakwood Minus Speed (TR 14-MAY-06 with Pictures!) by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 5/15/06 10:55:11 AM

Excellent T.R., Mr Beast, excellent and thanks for the pics, too. It's great to see an image of a description.

Now I must say, I've always wanted to go to Oakwood but your T.R. has put me off somewhat. I'd love to ride Speed and Megaphobia but the rundown conditions you pictured and noted really are a turn off. I hope they improve things before I can visit.

Chris.

Re: Oakwood Minus Speed (TR 14-MAY-06 with Pictures!) by Radiomanic at 6/3/06 5:23:42 PM

As a member of staff at Oakwood (rides supervisor) since 1998, i'll see what I can do =p

> Chloe, Kat, Bert, Gary, Martin & Myself drove three
> hours into the outer wilds of Wales to visit Oakwood, with
> the hope of checking out their new coaster. Personally I
> hadn’t visited Oakwood in 6 years, so still to try a few
> things since my last visit.

> What a welcome, getting out of the car all excited this
> is what greeted me a dirty nappy, I must say when playing
> Mini Golf later in the day there wasn’t a bin around to
> put my empty coffee cup in and I had to carry it with me
> until I could find one, perhaps more bins around the park
> would help avoid coming across incidents like this and . .
> .
Usually there are services staff first thing in the morning cleaning the car park before any customers arrive. But yeah, not a nice start..

> This milkshake had definitely been sat in techniquest for
> more than a few days judging by the colour of it and the
> number of insects inside
Too much litter can always put more of a downer on your day *concurs*

> Back to the start of the day, things were about to get
> disappointing. Speed was down all day due to ‘technical
> difficulties’ there was definitely no sign of anybody
> working on the ride to attempt to resolve whatever
> technical issues were present
No people there - the park had to wait for a couple of German engineer's to arrive with a part for the computer system that needed replacing. Nothing could be done until the part came..

> Even more disappointment, not that I object to
> raising funds for charities, but with Speed down and 3 rows
> of Megafobia blocked off, the single train operation was
> causing quite a considerable wait, which could have been
> avoided by adding a second train
Going by that date, it wouldn't have been busy enough to use two trains. It would have been a case of the queue disappearing too quickly and messing up the operation of Mega.

> Hydro was open, this took ages to dispatch firstly
> because we apparently had to wait for 12 people otherwise
> the boat stops too soon in the brakes and gets stuck,
> secondly because of the pre-recorded then live safety
> briefings and thirdly because each over the shoulder
> restraint is lowered individually by a member of the ride
> staff
Yep, since the new boat has been used it does require a certain amount of weight to make it past the bridge.

> The boat makes a tremendous clanking noise as it
> sluggishly crawls up the lift, plunging down the drop I
> really couldn’t see anything, the water from the chute
> was deflecting inside the boat and spraying in my face
> blocking my vision, at the bottom you get completely
> showered by the splash, much more violently than any over
> style of water ride I’ve experienced

> I’ve said recently if you want an over the top,
> sensationalist ride go to Intamin, Hydro is a text book
> example of this, an extreme water ride, which for my taste
> considering the welsh climate is a little too OTT

> Gary commented that he thought we got wetter on Valhalla
> even though we wore ponchos on that, he may have a point,
> but that ride is impossibly wet

> We spent quite a considerable amount of time using the
> attractions in the park, going on the death slide, riding
> the bobsleigh toboggans, inside the techniquest and playing
> mini golf

> The non-ride attractions side of Oakwood definitely helps
> to keep the day relaxed and makes it more unique than
> visiting a park where you just ride all day, I’d like to
> see this side of Oakwood expanded and sophisticated as I
> think the efforts are very crude and poorly maintained, we
> even helped them out by fixing one of the effects on the
> mini golf course
I actually agree with this. Oakwood has come on extremely well since Mega was built - when it first opened it looked awful and had no good rides. But it's family run and isn't in a heavily populated area. Still, I think new fencing in places, a few paint jobs, maybe a nice fountain somewhere, varnishings and something like a laser quest building would help.

> Plane Crazy was an addition since my last visit to the
> park, I actually enjoyed it, Bert commented it resembled a
> large whirlygig. This is another area I feel Oakwood is
> lacking is the soft thrill family rides, most of the
> attractions are one extreme, the high end thrill rides, or
> the other extreme small junior rides with not a lot
> inbetween, I feel that a few inbetween rides would help the
> park a lot, perhaps bumper cars and some kind of ferris
> wheel or flying island ride
A new ride is coming next year - a monorail coaster thing, i'm not sure what to expect :/

> Gerald the green fly rode Bounce on Gary’s finger,
> definitely hardcore

> Why wasn’t it working it looks stunning

> The rides especially Brer Rabbit (what is that about by the
> way, answers on a post card) and Spooky 3D are in bad
> condition and definitely need refurbishing as they look
> dreadful, only one half of snake river falls wasn’t
> operating today, and a few of the techniquest experiments
> were broken
New Orleans should have stayed as Jake's town, and Brer rabbit as the goldmine, but that didn't happen ;p. I think if they stick with new orleans BR needs to be turned into a pirate theme sort of ride and spooky 3D needs some work - but you get so many kids/teens wrecking stuff inside that it wouldn't last anyway. Snake only has 2 tubes now when it isn't that busy - saves money on staff.

> Incidentally I preferred Voodoo Mansion, Spooky 3D is very
> bare, it seems though a lot of the props have been taken
> out and there’s absolutely no point to the 3D glasses as
> there are no 3d effects, at least with Kennywood’s
> Garfield ride the 3D glasses made the 2D sets look three
> dimensional / in motion
Well, the glasses do help. But yeah voodoo mansion was better.

> Celebrating its tenth anniversary, Megafobia was flying
> today still the amazing amount of out of your seat air, it
> really is a wonderful coaster very exciting.

> Chloe was a self confessed coaster virgin before today, she
> said in her own words “ive been on x:\nowayout at Thorpe
> Park but that’s not a real roller coaster” . . see so
> already she knows what she’s talking about ;) She loves
> coasters now, all thanks to this welsh woodie wonder

> Unfortunately the day ended rather abruptly at 4:40pm,
> despite the advertised closing time been 5pm, the queue
> lines were shut and people waiting inside them were turned
> away and the staff told us they wanted to go home
What? :/ The GATES close early sometimes. Say we have to close a ride for 5, and the queue is around 15 minutes long, then the gate will close at around 4.40/4.45. Never heard of staff turning away people like that before - unless they hopped the gate!

> Working for TP/CWoA we close the entrance to the queue
> lines at least 5minutes after the advertised closing time,
> to allow for anyone who’s watches are out, and anybody
> already waiting inside the queue at that time will get to
> go on the ride before we go home – we certainly make sure
> they enjoy themselves and aren’t feeling rushed because
> we “want to get home”
Meh, it is annoying though when you get people coming up at 5pm "it's my sons birthday and we haven't been on". Well, you have had ALL DAY to come on the ride, why try and squeeze on when everything's about to close?

> Definitely a shame to start and end the day on sour notes

> The pointless train takes us around the corner back to
> the car park

> I do like Oakwood but I feel I wasn’t welcomed as a guest
> fully on this visit
You obviously didn't meet me o_O