Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Europe Coasters, Parks & Attractions > thorpe park future

thorpe park future

deeve

Posted:
7/10/05 at
6:46:13 PM

Views: 6783

Several sites have published reports of what Thorpe are hoping to build in the future. I can't believe that X no way out is not going to be sorted out until well into the next decade. When I rode it earlier in the year it was aparent to me that the ride is a death trap. Why don't Thorpe just get shot of it and replace it with a quality ride coz im sure it will just crumble on its own accord. Listen to the public Thorpe oust it.

Re: thorpe park future by CoasterNutt at 7/11/05 2:59:51 PM

I agree X needs alot of TLC - in my opinion this should be their next project after stealth. They could have a hatrick of coasters
2006 = stealth
2007 = a revamped X
2008 = canada creek coaster

Get rid of all of X including the pyramid, i think it should stay an indoor coaster but the building should be themed-a medievil castle for example, i would love it if the coaster was a LIM and featured inversions in the dark or maybe have images like rock 'n' roller !

Who else agrees XNWO has long past its sell by date and needs development soon not in the next decade ?

Re: thorpe park future by britcitchris britcitchris Profile at 7/11/05 4:52:23 PM

I wouldnt say it was a death trap, unless you include being bored to death on the ride. Stop, start, start, stop, start. I want to get off!!!! Get rid of it!

Re: thorpe park future by deeve at 7/20/05 4:14:09 PM

I think Thorpes future is an exciting one as they seemed to be able to build rides without too much restrictions that other parks have. I think stealth will breathe life back into uk parks due to its wow factor. 2008 hopefuly will see the arrival of a new coaster speculation is ranging from a woodie to a 4d. My guess is not a 4d or a woodie unless its the new b&m one rumoured to be in development. I doubt a Dive machine. Flyer is seemed a fav but i hope knot as Air i find a bit dull after a few rides. A mega coaster is possible as Stelth will be 200 ft so they can go that high. This i feel would place Thorpe well and truly on the map as big player in the theme park world. I think Thorpe will start leading the way as a thrillseekers park and Alton a resort style park and Chessingtin as a family park.

Re: thorpe park future by Fraser Fraser Profile at 8/2/05 11:12:16 AM

Thorpe Park needs 3 things to make it world class.
1) A woodie
2) A decent dark ride
3) Something done with Project X - it really lets the side down badly.

Re: thorpe park future by Kraken at 4/14/06 9:54:42 AM

> I wouldnt say it was a death trap, unless you include being
> bored to death on the ride. Stop, start, start, stop,
> start. I want to get off!!!! Get rid of it!

I agree. It is not dangerous, just rubbish. I wish they would just tear it down and use the space for a new coaster.
Ive just got back from Orlando and the coasters there are amazing!
Thorpe should take a leaf out of Busch Gardens' book and give us somthing like Sheikra, or Kraken at Seaworld, which is the best coaster I have ever been on.
I am optamistic about the new 'Stelth' coaster though. Looks like it will be good.
Thorpe Park has a LONG way to go if it wants to compete with the best in the world - its owners, the Tussauds Group, need to keep investing in top class coasters and not get complacent just because they have such poor competition!

Re: thorpe park future by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/15/06 10:20:41 PM

Here's what Thorpe should do, get a small scaled GCI woodie to go into X's pyramid, or whatever they would want to theme it. Enclosed coasters aren't a new concept, but the enclosed woodie would be summit altogether new, just like Adventureland's Underground.

Tim.

Re: thorpe park future by twpburton at 4/18/06 7:16:24 AM

I know the plans of Thorpe Park in the coming years as I was at a welcoming meeting where the manager told us what was to be expected in the future.

Next year sees the return of the Flying Fish AS WELL AS a revamped X:\nowayout

I cannot reveal what is coming after next year as I will get in trouble as my bosses read this site! Hi gaffers!

But it will be incredible :-)

Tom

Re: thorpe park future by Graeme Graeme Profile at 4/18/06 7:49:45 AM

> I cannot reveal what is coming after next year as I will
> get in trouble as my bosses read this site! Hi gaffers!

> But it will be incredible :-)

Sounds good!

However, I'll just ask you this. Is this incredible ride 100% certain at the moment (well, I suppose nothing's 100%)? What I'm getting at, is how much time do they have to change their mind? I hope they don't, but that's what I always fear!

If you endorse it, Tom, it sounds like something special.

Re: thorpe park future by ultimate_coaster_designer at 4/21/06 2:41:24 PM

from reading the message board i cant wait for the new thorpe park, i think getting more coasters will increase thorpe's popularity and especially a wooden one!
I certainly agree to get rid of X and replace it because that rides just crap, with all the stopping and starting, X's design is just too old and without no loops in the dark??? X should be replaced with a rock and rollercoaster theme with loops, it will definetly be more popular.
I DEISGN ROLLERCOASTERS, IF THORPE PARK WANTS ANY DESIGNS JUST E-MAIL ME PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ >>>>> LOL

> Several sites have published reports of what Thorpe are
> hoping to build in the future. I can't believe that X no
> way out is not going to be sorted out until well into the
> next decade. When I rode it earlier in the year it was
> aparent to me that the ride is a death trap. Why don't
> Thorpe just get shot of it and replace it with a quality
> ride coz im sure it will just crumble on its own accord.
> Listen to the public Thorpe oust it.

Re: thorpe park future by kaneit at 12/13/06 12:28:09 PM

well in my opinion i think TP should really build the same type of coaster (X:/NO WAY OUT) but make it a bit bigger but just remember it will cost alot for it to get taken down but it does cost more to build a brand spanking new coaster but to be quite honest if they do get rid of (X) they have lost the record.

but if you wanna chat and meet-up and go places like thorpe park

goto http://www.thorpepark.mayhemukbcu.co.uk/forum/forum

Thorpe Park Forum

Re: thorpe park future by kaneit at 12/13/06 12:30:35 PM

well in my opinion i think TP should really build the same type of coaster (X:/NO WAY OUT) but make it a bit bigger but just remember it will cost alot for it to get taken down but it does cost more to build a brand spanking new coaster but to be quite honest if they do get rid of (X) they have lost the record.

but if you wanna chat and meet-up and go places like thorpe park

goto http://www.thorpepark.mayhemukbcu.co.uk/forum/forum

think about it (it maybe a death trap but you cannot blam a rid if people keep messing around on roller-coasters and other rides) for instents er.(thunder river) couple of boys were messing around like idiouts and a persons ear came off when he hit the rocks. well whats more dangerous, X or thunder river (that went on the retired and old rides)

Thorpe Park Forum

Re: thorpe park future by kaneit at 3/2/07 5:42:03 PM

well what can i say, welll there is alot happening at thorpe park, with x:/no way out and different rides

* This Post Has Been Modified * User Submitted Picture

Thorpe Park Mayhem

Re: thorpe park future by Graeme Graeme Profile at 3/3/07 6:57:55 AM

So, it's March 2007 and infilling is underway to create land for the 2009 coaster. Reading this thread again, will it be as incredible as Tom once thought? Is it still the same coaster on the way?

Re: thorpe park future by deeve at 1/7/09 4:45:44 PM

I want to talk if there is a serious possibility that Merlin may be serious about developing Thorpe and Alton. With the news of a 10 year plan for Alton where does that leave Thorpe. With Saw on the way what are the chances of a woodie next. Thorpe dosent seem to have SW projects and is quite open to there coaster projects and a woodie has been talked about for a while. I would rather see a Thorpe woodie than an Alton woodie. Intamin the prefered choice in the style of El Toro.

Re: thorpe park future by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/7/09 5:48:02 PM

> I want to talk if there is a serious possibility that
> Merlin may be serious about developing Thorpe and Alton.
> With the news of a 10 year plan for Alton where does that
> leave Thorpe. With Saw on the way what are the chances of a
> woodie next. Thorpe dosent seem to have SW projects and is
> quite open to there coaster projects and a woodie has been
> talked about for a while. I would rather see a Thorpe
> woodie than an Alton woodie. Intamin the prefered choice in
> the style of El Toro.

Quite honestly, Thorpe's coasters are just as major as what now pass for "SW"s at Alton. Going by what we know about SW6, it might be a huge amount of fun, but I really can't see how it's more major than Rita or Spinball Whizzer. The capacity might be better than the latter, so that's a bonus. Otherwise, it seems to have an awful lot in common with Saw:

1) Extremely compact layout. I don't mean compact like Nemesis. These new coasters have a tiny footprint.
2) Medium-tier manufacturer. I know we don't know the manufacturer of Alton's coaster yet, however, it's very likely it's a B&M. No offence intended, either, to Gerstlauer.
3) Possible bulk of the budget on theming.

My intention here is not to criticise either ride. I just want to compare them and show that Alton's is, in all likelihood, no more like a Secrret Weapon than Thorpe's.

Now, as for a woodie, I'm sorry to say I believe we will never see one at Alton now, not whilst it's owned by Merlin anyway. The park has now passed up so many chances, including the Alton Beast Woodie (Air), the Cred St Woodie, the Ug Land Woodie and the Valley Woodie (I thought that was SW6, anyway?) and probably some others. Rightly or wrongly (I think wrongly), they clearly don't think it's a worthwhile thing to build,

As for Thorpe, I would love to see a woodie there too. However, I think it's extremely unliklely that Thorpe or Merlin would see the value in one there either. If you look at Saw, it's a "medium" sort of coaster with attention-grabbing elements and an even more attention-grabbing (and pathetic) theme. It's very unlikely the owners or managers of Thorpe appreciate what a good ride is or have the inclination to build one. Woodies require someone having the passion to understand how good they can be, and to do it properly. I just can't see that at Thorpe.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: thorpe park future by the_winged_beast the_winged_beast Profile at 1/7/09 7:56:48 PM

> 1) Extremely compact layout. I don't mean compact like
> Nemesis. These new coasters have a tiny footprint.
> 2) Medium-tier manufacturer. I know we don't know the
> manufacturer of Alton's coaster yet, however, it's very
> likely it's a B&M. No offence intended, either, to
> Gerstlauer.
> 3) Possible bulk of the budget on theming.

interesting how major coasters are moving in this direction, not just for merlin, Mystery Mine is a great example of this new trend medium tier supplier, and emphasis on themeing which is definately good news for putting the theme (and adventure) back into theme parks!

> As for Thorpe, I would love to see a woodie there too.
> However, I think it's extremely unliklely that Thorpe or
> Merlin would see the value in one there either.

one thread of hope is that a company with a portfolio of many attractions, may choose to supplied by the one company, a kind of buy in bulk benefit if you will, not only are there cost incentives but also the familiarity with working/dealing with the supplier, better support from the supplier when things break or go wrong due to the continuing relationship, ability to mass order spare parts, familiarity with the components that make up the equipment etc.

Colossos is very successful for heide park afterall, so you never know

HighExtreme

Re: thorpe park future by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/7/09 9:36:27 PM

I think if there's ever going to be new wood in the UK, it'll be Thorpe. I wonder that despite the amount of money put into Saw, would this be a filler while they wait for wood? I doubt it, but just a thought.

I do like the idea of Intamin wood at Thorpe though... Although Gravity Group would be nice too (as long as they paint the steel supports like CI's Cyclone).

Re: thorpe park future by Graeme Graeme Profile at 1/8/09 10:48:18 AM

> interesting how major coasters are moving in this
> direction, not just for merlin, Mystery Mine is a great
> example of this new trend medium tier supplier, and
> emphasis on themeing which is definately good news for
> putting the theme (and adventure) back into theme
> parks!

That's true. I can't remember the last B&M in Europe.

> one thread of hope is that a company with a portfolio of
> many attractions, may choose to supplied by the one
> company, a kind of buy in bulk benefit if you will, not
> only are there cost incentives but also the familiarity
> with working/dealing with the supplier, better support from
> the supplier when things break or go wrong due to the
> continuing relationship, ability to mass order spare parts,
> familiarity with the components that make up the equipment
> etc.

Good point, but Merlin would actually need to build one themselves somewhere before I'd consider a woodie likely at Thorpe or Alton.

The best hope for me is that if they're moving away from Intamin and B&M, a traditional woodie (ie. not Intamin/Stengel) is surely in the £3-5m range. Perhaps Thorpe and Alton are now actually more in-line with international amusement parks than when they had the "Busch Gardens" type aspirations.

That said, my prediction is for a reverser coaster at Thorpe and a small Euro Fighter at Alton.

Re: thorpe park future by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 1/9/09 3:08:44 PM

Grazza, an Intamin woodie could be between 3-5 million. But I'm starting to truly think it's going to be a Vekoma reverser...hope it's that, and a bit of the tilt coaster...just not with the full 90 degree tilt.